Pregame: Illinois vs Rutgers, Saturday, November 2nd, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels like everyone in this thread is getting ahead of themselves. No team in this conference is a pushover. Glad to know our players will be focused because it seems like we as fans are looking right past this game.

BZuppke

Plainfield
So this Tony Adams kid gets an interception that leads to the game winning field goal against Wisconsin, then this past game gets a interception and scores a touchdown. I expect he’ll not only get the pick 6 this week but he’ll score the point(s) after as well!

Deleted member 645583

D
Was this an intentional play on words? If so, bravo!
Yes, in this respect: I dislike Frankie and the Four Seasons' music. I'm a Beatlemaniac. But I have nothing against New Jersey as a state or its inhabitants. New Jersey, I hear, is much more than Tony and the Sopranos; a beautiful state, they say, but I've only seen Hackensack!

Last edited by a moderator:

MoCoMdIllini

Montgomery County, Maryland
So this Tony Adams kid gets an interception that leads to the game winning field goal against Wisconsin, then this past game gets a interception and scores a touchdown. I expect he’ll not only get the pick 6 this week but he’ll score the point(s) after as well!
A natural progression.

Feels like everyone in this thread is getting ahead of themselves. No team in this conference is a pushover. Glad to know our players will be focused because it seems like we as fans are looking right past this game.

Very true but it's only human nature. It's the equivalent of telling a Cubs fan in 16 not to think about the World Series. It's the only thing they can think about!

Let's stay focused and take care of Rutgers first but this is what we've been dying for since Lovie got here, this conversation right here.

IlliniSox

Minneapolis, MN
That game was also on Thanksgiving Day and was moved to that day after 9/11 forced everyone to not play the Saturday after. I was there but get why crowd was so small. Wasn’t like a game that was on the calendar for thanksgiving day until a couple months before.

Technically that game was on the calendar for Thanksgiving a year in advance. I was a junior during the Sugar Bowl season, and I remember during football season ticket signups during spring '01 semester, they gave you the option of buying the full 6 game package or the 5 game package without the NW game. The only effect 9/11 had was that our game vs. Louisville on 9/15 was pushed back to 9/22.

Side note - while the attendance was poor for a title-clinching game, getting a table at a local restaurant was nearly impossible that day...esp if you wanted anything that somewhat resembled a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

illini55

The Villages, FL
Illinois should take care of business, although I have a wee bit of worry that the Rutgers' QB career game today against Liberty will somehow carry over into this game.
Either way, hoping to see a win in what will the first Illini game I've attended since the '07 Miznoz game, which leads me to ask about parking. Where can I park without having to pay 20 dollars?
Park near Hessel Park.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
I’m enjoying the NW game discussion and walk down memory lane, but two things:
1. Must beat Rutgers
2. The MSU game is winnable
Go Illini

Finishing 7-5, given how I was feeling just a few weeks prior, would be an incredible achievement. But our play as of late is giving me some serious confidence we can pull it off. It feels like this team has really turned a corner.

Deleted member 645583

D
Pine Valley, NJ: another golf course - some say the best in the US - I will never get to play.

But with my deepest respect, Rutgers (and Maryland) should not be in the BIG It was always about $. Thanks, Delaney. Penn State was a stretch but glad to add them to the conference just like Nebraska. Do they grow corn in Penn? If not, kick 'em out! Kidding/

Keep BIG regional! To hell with the money.

I'm gettiing old, I guess. Old school, can't keep up with the times. Life was simpler. A real BIG 10! Once upon a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Illini football team should have no problem getting ready to play Rutgers, on Saturday. Illinois football looking past anyone is not an option, they should be sky high for kick-off

Pine Valley, NJ: another golf course - some say the best in the US - I will never get to play.

But with my deepest respect, Rutgers (and Maryland) should not be in the BIG It was always about $. Thanks, Delaney. Penn State was a stretch but glad to add them to the conference just like Nebraska. Do they grow corn in Penn? If not, kick 'em out! Kidding/

Keep BIG regional! To hell with the money.

I'm gettiing old, I guess. Old school, can't keep up with the times. Life was simpler. A real BIG 10! Once upon a time.
I must be gettin old along with you...couldn't agree more on the regional points....I guess we could be in the ACC where Louisville is a member of the ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE...huh?

It still drives me nuts that our corners are taught to play waaaay off the receivers then tackle them after they've caught the ball in front of them. Same with our safeties. Jam 'em at the line of scrimmage, I say! This is the way Coan passed at will against us.

Anyone if Lere Oladipo will ever suit up again? Seems like he has been indefinitely suspended since game 3?

Also sounds like Jamal Woods may have an injury? Wasn't able to finish game per Lovie

Deleted member 654622

D
Anyone if Lere Oladipo will ever suit up again? Seems like he has been indefinitely suspended since game 3?

Also sounds like Jamal Woods may have an injury? Wasn't able to finish game per Lovie
Very disappointed if Lere is still having off the field issues
Would really suck if Jamal would be out. He is a good one

Deleted member 654622

D
It still drives me nuts that our corners are taught to play waaaay off the receivers then tackle them after they've caught the ball in front of them. Same with our safeties. Jam 'em at the line of scrimmage, I say! This is the way Coan passed at will against us.
It is all apart of the strategy that the Offense will eventually make a mistake. QB will make a bad pass, receiver will drop a ball, we will stop the run, cause a fumble. When they make that mistake, it is either our football or it is 2nd/3rd and long. It is not the "don't let them get an inch" defense, but it works when we can stop the big play

It is all apart of the strategy that the Offense will eventually make a mistake. QB will make a bad pass, receiver will drop a ball, we will stop the run, cause a fumble. When they make that mistake, it is either our football or it is 2nd/3rd and long. It is not the "don't let them get an inch" defense, but it works when we can stop the big play

Never mind the fact that we do jam at the line....

Illini_1979

Oregon
Plus, I assume that we are playing to our players strengths (or, you could say, trying to hide their weaknesses). Not sure if our corners are up to tight coverage from the LOS.

Plus, I assume that we are playing to our players strengths (or, you could say, trying to hide their weaknesses). Not sure if our corners are up to tight coverage from the LOS.

Quan is the only guy who really shows signs of struggle here. Hobbs jams just fine, quite well actually. Devon needs a little work but he’s also a true freshman weighing in at approximately 160 pounds soaking wet, it’s to be expected.

This is simply a philosophy of how games are won defensively that our HC believes in very strongly. He believes that turnovers win football games and as such, he calls a heavy quarters (Not Tampa 2...) defense that allows his players to play with their eyes towards the football. In press man, the CBs primary focus is to simply get the WR off of his route (Very solid strategy when effective). In Lovie’s defensive sets, the primary focus is to fill up passing lanes, allow your zone defenders to diagnose the play in front of them and have them react quickly to what they read. The Tony Adams pick 6 is the clear example of this type of coverage. It’s Cover 4 Trap, with a safety and a LB in position for protection. This allows Tony to diagnose the play and react (Plummer helps him out by throwing what appears to be a no-read ball) without worry of giving up his zone. He can keep his eyes on the action from snap to throw, read the play and jump the ball. That’s the basis of the defense.

Last edited:
Fall Break Housing Info

"University Housing's undergraduate residence halls close on Saturday, November 23, at 3 p.m. and open Saturday, November 30, at 9 a.m. "

So the dorms will reopen before kickoff of the Northwestern game. Still would expect sparse student attendance, but hopefully better than past years if we're bowl eligible or have a chance at it.
I would hope that the students would return a day early. I would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.