Pregame: Illinois vs Rutgers, Saturday, November 2nd, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Saturday after Thanksgiving, or the one before? I was in Newman that year, but I don't remember what they did with us. They were fairly flexible if you gave them warning from what I remember re: coming back early if you needed to do so.

A friend and I were talking about this "Rivalry Week" thing and how it's all ESPN-fueled. Because they want Rivalry Week right before championship games, it screws a lot of people out of being able to go to the game. Kids are usually off campus (even if they're living in apartments) to spend time with their family for the holiday and the students who are left aren't often the ones that really care about football since they didn't grow up watching it, so they're unlikely to attend. It leads to a flatter atmosphere than usual for a game like this, which sucks all around.

That was the Saturday before. Break had officially started following classes that Friday. Totally agree how much that kills an atmosphere. Heck, the attendance was terrible in 2001 as the team clinched a Big Ten championship against NW (listed as 46k on Wikipedia when the stadium had a 70k capacity).

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
That was the Saturday before. Break had officially started following classes that Friday. Totally agree how much that kills an atmosphere. Heck, the attendance was terrible in 2001 as the team clinched a Big Ten championship against NW (listed as 46k on Wikipedia when the stadium had a 70k capacity).

This is a game I'd like to see in Chicago once the team is on better footing. Most students/alumni are in the area or can get there fairly easily. Give the kids with season tickets one with their package and sell the rest to people in Chicago to make more money. Show NU what being Chicago's Big Ten team really looks like the way we did at Wrigley in 2010.

Problem is both football and basketball have had so many poor showings in Chicago that I think the DIA is understandably gun shy of scheduling a game up there for the time being.

After beating Purdue 24-6 yesterday, Illinois is now projected to finish the regular season 6-6 (4-5 Big Ten).
The odds that the Fighting Illini end the season bowl eligible are up to 61%, an increase of 43% since yesterday.
We currently rank the Fighting Illini as the #13 team in the Big Ten (and #66 team in the country).
Next game: Sat, Nov 2 vs. #119 Rutgers. Our power ratings give the Fighting Illini a 96% chance to win.

How are we the #13 team? We have to be ranked higher than Purdue and NW and Rutgers?

ChiefIlliniwek

Omaha, Nebraska

That was my junior year and I was at that game. I remember thinking what a shame it was that the Illini were going to clinch a B1G title in front of so few people. I don't remember for certain when it changed, but I'm almost positive we didn't get the entire week of Thanksgiving off... but maybe we did.

This is a game I'd like to see in Chicago once the team is on better footing. Most students/alumni are in the area or can get there fairly easily. Give the kids with season tickets one with their package and sell the rest to people in Chicago to make more money. Show NU what being Chicago's Big Ten team really looks like the way we did at Wrigley in 2010.

Problem is both football and basketball have had so many poor showings in Chicago that I think the DIA is understandably gun shy of scheduling a game up there for the time being.

I actually think the game at Wrigley was a fun and great idea. The stadium wasn’t ready for it of course. But now since they upgraded the facility I think they should try it again. It would be a great annual event.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
I actually think the game at Wrigley was a fun and great idea. The stadium wasn’t ready for it of course. But now since they upgraded the facility I think they should try it again. It would be a great annual event.

I loved it. I loved it even more that we crushed them, outnumbered them, and sent them back to Evanston with their tails between their legs.

The reason why it happened though was the Cubs' head of marketing was an NU alumn. That tie-in with their sports department (and I'm assuming a boat load of cash) let them have the game there. We wouldn't get the same deal. A friend of mine and I actually met someone in the Cubs' organization while out later that year and asked if Illinois would get the same opportunity. We were flatly told no.

Deleted member 654622

D
I loved it. I loved it even more that we crushed them, outnumbered them, and sent them back to Evanston with their tails between their legs.

The reason why it happened though was the Cubs' head of marketing was an NU alumn. That tie-in with their sports department (and I'm assuming a boat load of cash) let them have the game there. We wouldn't get the same deal. A friend of mine and I actually met someone in the Cubs' organization while out later that year and asked if Illinois would get the same opportunity. We were flatly told no.
It is a great opportunity for us if Northwestern just wanted to play us every time they were given the change at Wrigley. To beat the team up north in Chicago that claims to be Chicago's B1G team. That is the best. Especially with the national pub of playing in Wrigley.
Kind of like the pub of playing in Ireland eh. That game doesn't look near as bad now.
Oh this isn't the correct thread. Let me make it legit......Beat Rutgers!

Deleted member 654622

D
I saw Isaiah was hurt again last week and did not travel with the team to Purdue. I hope if we get up big and they bring in some backups, its Matt and Coran that gets snaps. I wish they would just shut Isaiah down for the rest of the year and put him on that Friday Future program I see on twitter. Get some weight on him so he can at least stay on the practice field.
I wonder how much weight he has added since he has been on campus?

Really glad this team has something to play for, and has revived hope for bowling. I'm nearly speechless after the Wiscy game, and following it up with another good effort at Purdue is that much better. Should be another good game.

I know 1) Wisconsin is pretty vanilla on O and 2) the rain might have had a part in today’s effort, but -

has the defense improved? And by how much?

It appears gap control has improved by a pretty decent margin. Not sure if that is the game slowing down for the younger/less experienced guys or just exercising more patience. But it’s shown the past two weeks for sure.

Its crazy to think about really we were so close to being 6 and 2 maybe 7 and 1..
We should have beaten EMU, we were up 2 t.d.s on Nebraska, michigan was winnable just blew it at the end..Minnesota was really the only game we've played that we weren't "in the game"..
Let me ask a hypothetical question..
Let's say we beat rutgers, then manage to avenge our savage beating from iowa... do
the illini crack the tip 25 after playing michigan tough, beating#6 Wisconsin and then knocking off top 15 top 20 iowa?
What do you think...
All I know is this season has been enjoyable for me and the team even if we dont go bowling( which I'm praying we do)
The team has shown so much progress and are ascending for the first time in a while we are some key talented players from contending in the big 10...
I am excited for the future seasons and hopefully the recruits take notice on what we are building and decide to come be a part of something special!
I will be attending the rutgers game anyone else ???

Its crazy to think about really we were so close to being 6 and 2 maybe 7 and 1..
We should have beaten EMU, we were up 2 t.d.s on Nebraska, michigan was winnable just blew it at the end..Minnesota was really the only game we've played that we weren't "in the game"..
Let me ask a hypothetical question..
Let's say we beat rutgers, then manage to avenge our savage beating from iowa... do
the illini crack the tip 25 after playing michigan tough, beating#6 Wisconsin and then knocking off top 15 top 20 iowa?
What do you think...
All I know is this season has been enjoyable for me and the team even if we dont go bowling( which I'm praying we do)
The team has shown so much progress and are ascending for the first time in a while we are some key talented players from contending in the big 10...
I am excited for the future seasons and hopefully the recruits take notice on what we are building and decide to come be a part of something special!
I will be attending the rutgers game anyone else ???

I think the only way we start to garner votes is after we beat NW if, and ONLY if, we finish 8-4. That EMU loss was too disastrous for anyone to consider the Illini more than "flukey" right now. Even though I think most of us on here can see noticeable changes.

I'll be at the Rutgers game. Season ticket holder and am sad that we have to miss the Northwestern game.

I want Illinois to crush Rutgers. Anything less will be a little depressing.

Deleted member 19448

D
That was my junior year and I was at that game. I remember thinking what a shame it was that the Illini were going to clinch a B1G title in front of so few people. I don't remember for certain when it changed, but I'm almost positive we didn't get the entire week of Thanksgiving off... but maybe we did.
That game was also on Thanksgiving Day and was moved to that day after 9/11 forced everyone to not play the Saturday after. I was there but get why crowd was so small. Wasn’t like a game that was on the calendar for thanksgiving day until a couple months before.

That game was also on Thanksgiving Day and was moved to that day after 9/11 forced everyone to not play the Saturday after. I was there but get why crowd was so small. Wasn’t like a game that was on the calendar for thanksgiving day until a couple months before.

Ok that's what I thought but I put too much faith in Wikipedia (I know, I know) which said it was on a Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.