Pregame: Illinois vs Rutgers, Tuesday, January 30th, 6:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKane

Tennessee
My heart says Illinois.

My brain says Illinois.

But my heart and my brain don't say Illinois loud enough for my money to say Illinois.

Rutgers isn't a good offensive team and can't shoot, but they have a good defense and are physical.

If we can turn them over, get some easy transition points, and be ready to rebound their bricks then we should win easily.

Eh, time will tell. BU still has yet to prove that he's a better coach at Illinos than Groce. I want to say I think he will be, but being an Illini fan for the last several years has conditioned me to expect dissapointment.

Dude, if Underwood hasn't already shown you he has more coaching chops than Groce by a long shot, you aren't paying attention, speaking as an Illini fan for the last several decades.

Was at the RU game last year. Have not had much luck going to games out east, I live in MA. If that loss is what secured bringing BU in here, then it was a good thing. I recall JW was at the game. Hopefully we can win several more this year and bring in some size next year along with Ayo. Will consider going to the RU game there if we are looking better, starting with a win here against RU.

GO ILLINI!:hailtotheorange::illinois:

Regarding BU offense, we seem to never get points from the two cutters from the wing to the basket. To me that tells BU will recruit that type of player. I think in the future Ayo, Damonte, Smith and Kipper will be able to. But likely going for the Tev Jones types to receive in the key and finish at the rim.

Regarding BU offense, we seem to never get points from the two cutters from the wing to the basket. To me that tells BU will recruit that type of player. I think in the future Ayo, Damonte, Smith and Kipper will be able to. But likely going for the Tev Jones types to receive in the key and finish at the rim.

We don’t get those points because we’re afraid to make those passes. Particularly cutter one. We’ve been open way more times than we’ve thrown it, and when we have thrown it, we’ve turned it over about half the time.

I think our current guys are having trouble reading what “open” looks like for the those cutters. A lot of times it’s throwing the ball before you see the guy coming off the screen, but also reading how the HP defender is playing it.

1) does he sag in the middle of the paint? Not open (and cutter 2 probably wouldn’t be either)
2) does he hug his man at the hp? Open
3) does he sag in help position, but a step or 2 on the ball side of the paint? Lob

That’s just cutter one. It’s also easier to hit cutters after ball reversals. I feel like the last two games we’ve finally started going around the horn more. If we do that 2-3 times in one possession I think you will see the cutters hit much more.

We don’t get those points because we’re afraid to make those passes. Particularly cutter one. We’ve been open way more times than we’ve thrown it, and when we have thrown it, we’ve turned it over about half the time.

I think our current guys are having trouble reading what “open” looks like for the those cutters. A lot of times it’s throwing the ball before you see the guy coming off the screen, but also reading how the HP defender is playing it.

1) does he sag in the middle of the paint? Not open (and cutter 2 probably wouldn’t be either)
3) does he sag in help position, but a step or 2 on the ball side of the paint? Lob

That’s just cutter one. It’s also easier to hit cutters after ball reversals. I feel like the last two games we’ve finally started going around the horn more. If we do that 2-3 times in one possession I think you will see the cutters hit much more.
FiveStar...these are great points. I think you need to offer your consulting to the team; these are practical tips that I'm not so sure they are getting in practice. good stuff.

You have to also remember the other team scouts us and knows those cuts are coming. Right now Frazier is the only guard we have that can make plays on his own. But he's not a great passer, which is part of the reason I think BU likes to play Lucas and Frazier together.

illini80

Forgottonia
I'm calling this a must win, because it's Rutgers and we are home. You just can't ever lose games like these and believe you are building anything. This season is going nowhere of course and 1 more win at the end of the season is no great feather in the cap. But if we are truly learning anything from this season, we better win this. And yes we will have to play our asses off to win it because we are just not very good ourselves.

Deleted member 29907

D

+1 - totally agree - some teams defend this pretty well, but the number of times TF was open on a cut with his defender a step or two behind him against IU was crazy - no pass. I kept yelling at tv. Its at the very least a foul coming up.

I think our current guys are having trouble reading what “open” looks like

No doubt. You watch his Stephen F Austin teams, and then ours, and wonder if it's even the same system. It's a little more recognizable as the season has gone on, but it's clear the light hasn't gone on. I think certain players are having a harder time than others, but a little hesitation can make everything break down.

Proud to be an ILLINI fan even in the roughest of seasons, if our players buy in and commit to this.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...cle_169464ea-69c4-52cb-9e9b-7a7eeca1c154.html

Nice article. I really felt that culture and cohesiveness was lacking in previous teams. If Underwood can change that, we will be a step ahead in building a winning program. Guys need to buy in and play for the good of all.... play for the name on the uniform. That does not happen if all are not on the same page or are working on their own agendas.

Now, go beat Rutgers :shield:

As I always say in games like this...Shouldn't be close, but it probably will be.

Rutger's offense is really bad. Sanders will get his. Come with some energy and this should be a W.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Rutger's offense is really bad. Sanders will get his. Come with some energy and this should be a W.

Just a miserable shooting team. Here's an instance where I'm concerned our pressure is going to create easy shots for a team that otherwise would really struggle to get/convert them. Will be interesting to see how we approach it.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
Just a miserable shooting team. Here's an instance where I'm concerned our pressure is going to create easy shots for a team that otherwise would really struggle to get/convert them. Will be interesting to see how we approach it.

Definitely see us going to Zone several times in this game

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

This. Add in our penchant for choking in crunch time and I'm nervous. Should coast, probably won't. Will be very pleased to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.