Pregame: Illinois vs The Citadel, Wednesday, November 20th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm calling BS on BU's 'young team' label. Kofi is the only starter who is a freshman.
Well three of the five starters are either freshmen or sophomores and then Griffin is a soph. So you have only four upperclassmen - two seniors, two juniors - meaning half of your top 8 are underclassmen and seven of your 11 who play are underclassmen. So they are certainly more young than old.

It's literally a fact this team is young. There are more fresh/soph than jr/sr.

I'd be willing to bet that Danbor was referring to game experience as opposed to physical age..... Unless my memory is failing me, we returned 7 or our top 8 scorers, and I believe we are in the top half of the B1G in minutes played, roster wise.... Maybe even top 4 or 5.

I'd be willing to bet that Danbor was referring to game experience as opposed to physical age..... Unless my memory is failing me, we returned 7 or our top 8 scorers, and I believe we are in the top half of the B1G in minutes played, roster wise.... Maybe even top 4 or 5.
This is kind of an unusual team in that it is relatively young but also relatively experienced given their age. They're slightly younger than average, checking in at #214 per Pomeroy's experience category (basically, a weighted average of what class plays how many minutes). However, they're #13 in the country in continuity, which measures how many minutes are played this year by the guys who played last year.

We relied on freshmen more than any team in the league last year as they used 53% of our possessions. Maryland nominally had a few more freshman minutes but they were far less involved, at 44% of possessions. Every other team aside from Rutgers (38%) was under 30%.

Regardless, there's a difference between having one year of experience and three, and a difference in physical maturity. We're closer, but this is still kind of a young team.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
You can be young and experienced, and you can also be old and inexperienced.

Its listed as an exhibition on their website. Can it be an exhibition for them and a game for us? Seems unlikely, but I don't know

For NCAAT berth purposes (i.e. pretty much the only thing that really matters record wise), I'm 99% sure we can't count it as a win. The selection committee sees our game records without the Lindenwood game, IIRC.

jrod1286

Pat Chambers
Illinois
Assuming there will be some pine riders seeing some sizable minutes.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
Kofi could have a 20/20 in a game like this if he doesn't just rest the whole time...

Kofi could have a 20/20 in a game like this if he doesn't just rest the whole time...

Maybe 20/20. I don’t want to see TOO MUCH rest. Just a half a game with a 30 point win. I want our starters to play a cohesive game. I’d like to see them play well. Not play down because it’s an easy win. I’d like to stomp them by 30 in the first half, then rest starters.

blackdog

Champaign
Tickets were going for $6 a piece before fees earlier today...easy pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.