Pregame: Illinois vs USF, Saturday, September 15th, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 631370

D
Since when is USF on the same level as Ohio State and Michigan? 59-14?? 68-6?? WOW.

Let's bring it down a little.

USF 38 ILL 21

68-6 is laughable. I expect USF to win handily, but let's keep in mind that USF beat a one-dimensional GT team that won a whopping 5 games last year. It's not like they beat a top-25 team.

Deleted member 29907

D
68-6 is laughable. I expect USF to win handily, but let's keep in mind that USF beat a one-dimensional GT team that won a whopping 5 games last year. It's not like they beat a top-25 team.
From what I saw of USF yesterday - we can move the ball. The big question will be can we defend the pass and the scramble. Doesn't help that we are down so many Dbacks (suspension and targeting).

Hopeful for continued signs of improvement. Hopefully we can compete. Always skeptical about football. Unfortunately basketball has been becoming the same way. Here's to hoping the revenue sports are improving in general and showing better results overall.

GO ILLINI!

Lovie: Ricky Smalling was close to playing this week. Hope to get him back next week.
https://twitter.com/JWerner247

That is very good news preparing for a USF D that gave up 180 yards passing to a team who really can't throw the ball. I expect them to stack the box and make us beat them throwing the ball. Now a Lou Dorsey sighting added in would give me hope for some big numbers next week.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
sadly, we always seem to schedule our FBS ooc games against teams at the historic height of their strength.
by the time we get around to playing Kansas, they will be really good again

USF beats us like a drum.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 11.52.02 AM.png

A little info on team performance.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Penetrate the o-line, disrupt the offense, force turnovers. They did the first two well against Kent State, all three against WIU. If they continue improving on this and keep playing well on special teams, they should be able to steal a win or two against the mid-level B1G teams, even with a young and thin offense (in other words, they will not go 0-8 in conference this year - I'm guessing 2-6).

They would need at least 3-4 turnovers to have a shot next week, and could really use their DBs back from suspension. I think they play better out of the gate and are tied at halftime, but USF makes adjustments and runs away in the second half. USF 45 ILL 30.

I will say this. If we can consistently win the turnover battle and hit 50+ yard FGs, we may stay competitive more often than I initially thought

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
Penetrate the o-line, disrupt the offense, force turnovers. They did the first two well against Kent State, all three against WIU. If they continue improving on this and keep playing well on special teams, they should be able to steal a win or two against the mid-level B1G teams, even with a young and thin offense (in other words, they will not go 0-8 in conference this year - I'm guessing 2-6).

They would need at least 3-4 turnovers to have a shot next week, and could really use their DBs back from suspension. I think they play better out of the gate and are tied at halftime, but USF makes adjustments and runs away in the second half. USF 45 ILL 30.

Actually think the opposite. Am expecting Illinois to start slow, go down pretty big, play lightyears better in the second half but fall short.

SKane

Tennessee
USF 38 - ILL 14. Both ILL touchdowns in the second half.

I am still sticking with my four ILL wins for the season prediction but one of them is not going to happen next week.

USF is not tOSU, and not even the USF of last year. Who can predict this kind of thing early in the year? Three weeks ago who would have thought that we would be incredibly thin at WR and our LBs would be anchoring the defense?

Special teams and forcing turnovers could give us a punchers chance against a team like USF. We really need those suspended players back, however. I hope those guys are into Lovie's office every morning asking what they can do to get back. How many miles, now many bleachers, etc.

I am always too optimistic this time of year, but I love this schedule. If this team takes a step forward every week and avoids further injuries (which sounds a bit much to ask, I get it), we can win at Rutgers and beat Purdue in Champaign. Keep up the improvement and Maryland, Minnesota, Iowa and NW can be competitive. We have to hope that our young team will improve more throughout the season then a team like NW.

ESPN gives us a 34% chance to win the USF game. That sounds about right to me. I think we lose a close one. I think it will be a reversal of what we have seen. We are in the game into the second half, but fall away at the end to lose by 10. If we get the suspended guys back, and if Smalling is 100%, I say we win a close one.

ritster

Wheaton, IL
sadly, we always seem to schedule our FBS ooc games against teams at the historic height of their strength.
by the time we get around to playing Kansas, they will be really good again

USF beats us like a drum.

You are correct on this. I don’t know how it happens, however every out of conference team we schedule seems to get good about a year before we have to play them

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
You are correct on this. I don’t know how it happens, however every out of conference team we schedule seems to get good about a year before we have to play them
The other teams must use it as a recruiting tool. You get to play against the Illini! :p

S Florida Bulls are a 9.5 chalk early line coming to Illinois. I expect this early line to rise to 13.

The Bulls average 41 points a game on offense. The Defense gives up 26 points a game (these defensive numbers are a bit skewed as they gave up 38 to the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets last game in a victory)

They Bulls are fast and fast- at every position- This is the fastest team on Illinois schedule this year and they will score at will.

For the life of me I can't see Illinois keeping this game within 21 points- Talk me off the ledge.

My crazy blowout of us by usf is not from usf love. It is from how wide open wiu recievers where against our walkon db's. If the suspended players are back. I then could see it closer.

For the life of me I can't see Illinois keeping this game within 21 points- Talk me off the ledge.

They only won by 24 last year, at home, when they were better and we were worse. The line is 9.5 and may rise but won't get anywhere near 21. They're coming off an emotional win playing against a physically draining and bruising triple option system. It's their first time on the road this year. Charlie Strong without a do-it-all dynamo at QB is historically very average, and Blake Barnett isn't quite that guy.

I can't see us winning with our current personnel (and it doesn't sound like we're getting our suspended guys back), but we ought not get blown out and should be disturbed if we do.

Last edited:

foby

Bonnaroo Land
The Defense gives up 26 points a game (these defensive numbers are a bit skewed as they gave up 38 to the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets last game in a victory)

And they beat FCS Elon 34-14. Score sounds familiar. Where have I seen that score against a FCS school?

Am I the only one that feels like Lovie is giving away whatever pipedream of a bowl game season there was by holding out those starters in this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.