Pregame: Illinois vs USF, Saturday, September 15th, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

the national

the Front Range
31-24 USF. We get 3tds and a FG but they get 4 tds and a FG. We do the majority of our scoring in the 3rd but it'll be too little too late. The game will never be in doubt. (i don't like this prediction).

USF42 - Illini 24
Illini 30 - USF28 Late fumble recovery and fg for the ILLINI!! 👈🏻
(IF SUSPENDED PLAYERS RETURN) 🤞

Last edited:
This game hinges on the Smalling playing and at least a few of the big names coming off suspensions, notably a couple in the secondary. If that doesn't happen, the first half will be extremely rough considering we have a couple guys that will serve their ejection sentences the first half.

In any case, the offense needs to play hard. To me, that means Epstein needs more runs. USF's run def is atrocious.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
that means Epstein needs more runs. USF's run def is atrocious.

Let's hope that Rod Smith opens up the offense. The first two games our O was pretty vanilla. Am assuming that was by design. Yes, Epstein should feast. If our O is able to run (keeping our D off the field), we may actually have a chance.

When our D is on the field, I would like to see a lot of stunting/blitzing- anything to bring pressure in an effort to throw USF's offense out of sync.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
Everything we've seen from the offense and defense through two games has been super vanilla. I expect we'll see a very different team on Saturday. Probably a lot more stunts/blitzes (though who knows with a depleted secondary) and a bigger playbook on offense (though who knows if Bush isn't healthy). Whether those differences are good or bad? TBD.

Deleted member 29907

D
When our D is on the field, I would like to see a lot of stunting/blitzing- anything to bring pressure in an effort to throw USF's offense out of sync.
We have do so in a contained manner however - Barnett scrambled well against GT and got 91 yds off of 16 attempts.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I think it would be a good idea for Illinois to slow things down and try to take time off of the clock when they have the ball Saturday. However since they are usually in a no huddle look will this even be possible? It makes no sense to me to try and make it a track meet with the Bulls.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Feels like this is the season that Illinois will have the "Smalling Game", where he goes off for 10/155/2. Just the amount of optimism around the program for him and his pro prospects makes it seem like he'll have a game announcing his arrival. A lot of Illinois WRs out for this USF game, does that mean this is the one?

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
We are at the stage where winning is not the only objective...and I am looking forward to that change...but a competitive game is something we all should expect. What that means in terms of a final score is debatable, but if it looks like a duck...

breadman

Herndon, VA
Gotta believe Lovie has been targeting this game since last year due to the blow out result.
Rod's offense has been effortless in putting up over 30 points in each game. Don't care who the opponents were.
Lovie would love to put up a big W to give PSU something to think about.
In this year's pressers, Lovie has been as loose-lipped about his team since he arrived, and it has all been to the positive.
I am hearing and seeing good things from Lovie and his team..
Here is to a win this Saturday!

36 - 34 Illini pull off the upset. Feels like the ultimate trap game for USF :) and we need some optimism in this thread.

Suspensions are lifted. Epstein goes nuts taking an increased workload. Bush returns to action and sparks the O a la second half Kent State game. Defense hangs on just enough following a rusty start from the USF O

breadman

Herndon, VA
I went to FL and sat through the debacle last year. (USF looked like an NFL team against our inexperienced underclassmen.) I plan to be at Soldier Field this year too. Lovie has yet to win a game he was predicted to lose.

USF 52
ILL 16

First of all, good for you that you have the means to be at these games. Wish I did. Second, it does not seem that USF has missed a beat with all of their player and coaching changes from last year. Third though is the unknowns we bring to this game. The biggest of course is Rod's offense scheme. So we'l see.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
It's a shame we have to play a game that has already been lost. Team could save the cost of transportation if they just stayed in Champaign.

Illinisteve25

Champaign
Quarterback is one of the most important positions in football. We played with 2 basically useless QB's last year and they had a very good one. This year is quite different so it "should" be a closer game.

Status
Not open for further replies.