Pregame: Illinois vs USF, Saturday, September 15th, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 631370

D
2 picks for USF and 1 pick for Illinois on Game Day. Thoughts were that We arent ready for the big game and we couldnt score enough points. Other thoughts - Lovie is off to a nice start, good to see him win his first 2 games out of the gate.

I thought Desmond said something about picking the Big Ten in this one, but I didn't hear it very clearly. Whatever the case, I think Pollack and Herbstreit's reactions were probably pretty typical of most observers looking at this one from outside: Illinois just hasn't demonstrated to anybody that they're ready to beat anybody good. Until we do so, there's no reason for anybody to pick us.

Deleted member 29907

D
No one picked Illinois
Desmond did - but not much love from anyone else. With Florida and FSU losing and LSU handling Miami well in week 1, the comment that FSU was potentially the best in the state was more a reference to how down some of those teams are. How Miami remains in the top 25 after losing to LSU at home like they did is beyond me - but hey, its Miami.

Side comment - the TCU turnout for Gameday looks pretty lame IMO.

the national

the Front Range
I thought Desmond said something about picking the Big Ten in this one, but I didn't hear it very clearly. Whatever the case, I think Pollack and Herbstreit's reactions were probably pretty typical of most observers looking at this one from outside: Illinois just hasn't demonstrated to anybody that they're ready to beat anybody good. Until we do so, there's no reason for anybody to pick us.

I totally agree. And actually, I think i agree with both their takes. i'm not sure we can score enough points and Im nervous the youngsters on the team are ready for the big lights of soldier field.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl

Totally agree. I think it's been mentioned on here earlier, and it's very true - Since Lovie started here, we have yet to beat anyone that we weren't supposed to. Until that happens, there's no reason to give us the benefit of the doubt, esp. from the outside, and probably from the inside too. This game can be a meaningful perception changer, particularly on the offensive end with RSmith's new offense, but it'll be tough with the suspensions/injuries.

Came into this one realistically, and I still think we lose, but ... a good pregame hype video on Instagram and game time getting closer have me pumped! It can’t be overstated just how HUGE of a win this would be for this program, for several reasons:

- Starting 3-0 and halfway to a bowl ... enough said.
- Revenge for last year’s embarrassing loss
- Winning at our home away from home would be amazingly positive optics for this program at this point in the rebuild
- Most importantly, USF is a pretty good team. Beating them shows that Lovie is actually moving this program in the right direction, and it finally gets us over that hump of pulling off an upset. The momentum going forward would be so influential on this season.
- A bad loss could lead us down the exact same path as last year and possibly be the beginning of the end of any meaningful movement back to respectability.

Let’s give it our all in our most important city and FINALLY, for what seems like the first time in forever, prove some haters wrong!!

Go Illini!!

Deleted member 649710

D
I’ll watch the first series, and if the suspended players and Smalling are still out I will find a more productive use for my Saturday afternoon than watching a 3 hour beat down.

Deleted member 29907

D
I’ll watch the first series, and if the suspended players and Smalling are still out I will find a more productive use for my Saturday afternoon than watching a 3 hour beat down.
Wow - why even bother showing up in the first place with that kind of loyalty?

They usually announce that sort of thing on the pre-game radio show if you're that short of time.

Everyone is so busy these days.

Deleted member 29907

D
To watch to see if the suspended players are back and Smalling is playing. I thought he made that pretty clear.

P.S. This is not meant to be a personal attack towards other forum members. That would be against the rules.
Good thing - because a personal attack would be about as bad as showing up for the first series and then leaving.

I think as long as Illinois follows the rules, they'll be in this one. No dumb penalties.

Always follow the rules.

6356177295724591121586180959_tumblr_m70txbuf6D1rzn2fso2_250.gif

Came into this one realistically, and I still think we lose, but ... a good pregame hype video on Instagram and game time getting closer have me pumped! It can’t be overstated just how HUGE of a win this would be for this program, for several reasons:

- Winning at our home away from home would be amazingly positive optics for this program at this point in the rebuild
- Most importantly, USF is a pretty good team. Beating them shows that Lovie is actually moving this program in the right direction, and it finally gets us over that hump of pulling off an upset. The momentum going forward would be so influential on this season.
- A bad loss could lead us down the exact same path as last year and possibly be the beginning of the end of any meaningful movement back to respectability.

Let’s give it our all in our most important city and FINALLY, for what seems like the first time in forever, prove some haters wrong!!

Go Illini!!
ILL

Deleted member 29907

D
Rutgers, Nebraska, MD, Purdon't not looking so good these days - lets at the very least show good improvement week to week - get our guys back and we can win some games sportsfans.

Go Illini!!
I agree it would be a great win for the program at this point, but I'm not as worried about a bad loss. There are plenty of opportunities ahead with this schedule.

Deleted member 716187

D
Without the suspended players we dont have the secondary to stop USF, we also dont have the WRs to keep up with the USF scoring.

ILL 28
USF 49

There looks to be a lot of winnable games in the big 10 this year..can the Illini win 4? I dont really think so, this is a pretty important game to win.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Hey, any other YouTube TV users here? I'm seeing SMU vs MSU on the upcoming games on BTN on YTTV though BTN shows three games at 3:30. Does anyone know how with YTTV I can get BTN2 or BTN2Go or whatever on my phone/TV?

So YTTV doesn't have the BTN overflow channels. Not sure if there's a BTN app that you can put on your Roku/Chromcast/etc. (haven't tried). But you can get it on the BTN site streaming on your phone (log in with your YTTV account like you would with normal cable).

Looking at the other B1G games going on right now, the bottom of the big ten looks pretty bad (Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska all having trouble against theoretcially inferior opponents), so we could have a chance to show something this year. Only exception seems to be Indiana doing well (on their way to 3-0 start). I predicted a 5 win season in the predictions thread with an L today. Might still be possible, but today will be very telling. Go illini!

Deleted member 29907

D
Hey, any other YouTube TV users here? I'm seeing SMU vs MSU on the upcoming games on BTN on YTTV though BTN shows three games at 3:30. Does anyone know how with YTTV I can get BTN2 or BTN2Go or whatever on my phone/TV?

Download the BTN2GO app or the FOXSPORTS app - you should be able to get to the game through either of those. You can download BTN2GO as an app on your phone - or go directly to the website. They should ask you to login via your TV Provider and that is when you give them your YouTubeTV id and PW.

Last edited by a moderator:

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Well, that’s the deal. My small town provider—Blue Ridge Communication—doesn’t have BTN. So I get BTN via YouTube TV. So I’m not technically a BTN subscriber. I don’t think I can get BTN2GO YouTube TV as my provider. 😞

If you're a youtubetv subscriber then you're a BTN subscriber. Just go to "sign in with TV Provider" on BTN2Go, look up youtubetv, and log in with your youtubetv account. The illini game should be listed as one of the options at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.