Pregame: Illinois vs USF, Saturday, September 15th, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theoretically, if Bush doesn't go (whether hes incapable or the safe is being cautious) and Rivers has a good/great game, can you really justify putting Bush back in for PSU? Training camp stories aside, lots of good from Bush for sure, but he's partly to blame for a lot of drives stalling. Obviously Rivers is still an unknown but he looked fantastic slinging the ball around. A lot less bad decisions if you ask me. Actions vs. real competition for both QB's remains an unknown.

Well, first of all:

And what I was gonna say is, let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

The calculation changes now. Any QB who shows us something against the defenses remaining on the schedule has done something that exceeds anything on the current resumes of anyone on the roster.

But at the same time, I think The Smiths (lol, I hadn't considered that reference. Lovie and Rod, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now :ROFLMAO:) being firm in their support of Bush is a good thing. They trust the guy they've picked.

"And it's about taking care of business in Chicago in a return-date bear trap against Lovie Smith and his seemingly awful Illinois team."

From the Tampa Bay Times.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
So it matters to you whether it is the anterior cruciate or the medial collateral ligaments?
The way you composed this message, it is not clear the extent to which sarcasm is employed.
I thought I was pretty clearly mirroring the tone and emotions of our meatball fans who are driven to existential crisis by Lovie's reluctance to make any private information public, and who may or may not have barbequed some Nike apparel over the weekend.

dbjm

Illinois
I DEMAND that Lovie Smith personally fax me a copy of Edwin Carter's MRI. This is a SOUND and REASONABLE request as a fan that attends one game per year and checks twitter daily. COWARD that he is, I am sure I will simply receive a generic form letter ending in "Go Illini", WITHOUT an exclamation point.

Hehe. Brains that big need all the Data, dontcha know. So selfless, it’s all about helping out us little brains. He’s in the process of forming a new Illini NGO/think tank with the big O, bobbob and crew. It’s all for our benefit.

Go Illini!

"And it's about taking care of business in Chicago in a return-date bear trap against Lovie Smith and his seemingly awful Illinois team."

From the Tampa Bay Times.

Okay, I know I am crazy and the world doesn't hate Illinois ... but WTH is that?? Kind of a personal dig at a team that USF never interacts with.

UofI08

Chicago
At what point do these suspensions become a concern for the media/school/casual fan? Once it gets to 3 games, that’s a quarter of the season without nearly a quarter of your starters. If we were relevant at all, people would be asking more questions of Lovie.

Also, what could they have done that isn’t law enforcement or academic eligibility related that would result in that stiff a penalty? Is the consensus multiple drug test violations? (Again, if it was law related with drugs, it would’ve leaked out by now)

Sure, but please clear it up if I am processing it incorrectly. It sounds like a dis.

I don't read it as such. GT is the bigger non-con game, ECU is their first conference game so they are both high emotion games. We're the game stuck between them and have the lowest emotional value attached to the game. The coach is saying we're good enough to beat them and can't be overlooked.

I'm sure some people will say it is a dis, but people will call anything "hating" these days.

At what point do these suspensions become a concern for the media/school/casual fan? Once it gets to 3 games, that’s a quarter of the season without nearly a quarter of your starters. If we were relevant at all, people would be asking more questions of Lovie.

Also, what could they have done that isn’t law enforcement or academic eligibility related that would result in that stiff a penalty? Is the consensus multiple drug test violations? (Again, if it was law related with drugs, it would’ve leaked out by now)

If the university was doing independent drug testing, do they have to report it to law enforcement? I'd wager not. Therefore that's something they can keep in house, if they so choose. I believe they are suspended because of team rule violations. That could pretty much be 100 things. I assume the media either has/is asking and Lovie is being coy on purpose or the media knows Lovie isn't spilling the beans so they aren't wasting their time. He's mentioned them every week, that all I assume will officially come out unless something else major happens.

UofI08

Chicago
If the university was doing independent drug testing, do they have to report it to law enforcement? I'd wager not. Therefore that's something they can keep in house, if they so choose. I believe they are suspended because of team rule violations. That could pretty much be 100 things. I assume the media either has/is asking and Lovie is being coy on purpose or the media knows Lovie isn't spilling the beans so they aren't wasting their time. He's mentioned them every week, that all I assume will officially come out unless something else major happens.

Yeah. I understand the vagueness of “violation of team rules” thing, but normally those are 1-2 game suspensions. When you get to 3 games, I think that’s more serious and severe. That’s taking away a quarter of a season from a student for something that’s not even a legal matter.

FYI they aren't even selling the top tier at SF for this game. Not sure what that means for overall capacity but 45k sounds ambitious.

I will be there though!
Did student season tickets include this game this year?

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Maybe leftover resentment from his time with the Bucs? Although I thought most people were surprised they let him go.

I live in the Tampa Bay area (though not much of an NFL fan). I think there is a bit of Lovie resentment in there. The Bucs weren't good under him (though were improving, but still well under .500). With Jameis Winston available (though some wanted Mariotta), it was apparent that management wanted to build the team around him and wanted a more offensive-minded coach. I think to some extent the fans rallied around that concept and were OK with having Lovie gone.

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
Yes, we demand it! /s

Airing one's dirty laundry is never a good look. Keeping it in-house builds accountability, responsibility and culture.

Agree with the dirty laundry statement, but sitting kids 2, 3, 4+ games may lead a lot of people to "invent" dirty laundry wondering "what could be so bad to miss this many games?". Many of the non Alabama fans I deal with on a daily basis make fun of Saban because no matter what his players do, the "punishment" is always handled in house and the kid typically plays the next game (or the next "big" game). Maybe we should keep the punishments in-house and let the kids play? ;)

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Agree with the dirty laundry statement, but sitting kids 2, 3, 4+ games may lead a lot of people to "invent" dirty laundry wondering "what could be so bad to miss this many games?"

Flashbacks!!!! Getting dangerous close to *the* word...too soon, friend. Too soon. :eek::p

Yeah. I understand the vagueness of “violation of team rules” thing, but normally those are 1-2 game suspensions. When you get to 3 games, I think that’s more serious and severe. That’s taking away a quarter of a season from a student for something that’s not even a legal matter.
I agree completely 1 or 2 games okay anything over that and it surely has to be something that probably puts these guys on a 0 tolerance going forward and probably serious enough to
Yes, we demand it! /s

Airing one's dirty laundry is never a good look. Keeping it in-house builds accountability, responsibility and culture.
Agree with the dirty laundry statement, but sitting kids 2, 3, 4+ games may lead a lot of people to "invent" dirty laundry wondering "what could be so bad to miss this many games?". Many of the non Alabama fans I deal with on a daily basis make fun of Saban because no matter what his players do, the "punishment" is always handled in house and the kid typically plays the next game (or the next "big" game). Maybe we should keep the punishments in-house and let the kids play? ;)
was not referring to hearing there or your dirty laundry more in terms of when or if they are going to return to the field ect !!
1 or 2 games okay if more then that let us know so we don't every day wonder if or who is on are roster ..
Hope your okay with that lol

I think people are significantly overrating USF. A few obervations:

1. They did beat GT, but they also gave up nearly 600 (400 rushing) yards to GT.

I would temper the thought that we should be able to move the ball on them. As you say, GT is a completely different type of offense, running a pure option game. Few teams do that anymore and they can rack up huge numbers on teams that aren't familiar with defending it.

We are an RPO offense, out of shotgun. Nothing we do will likely surprise them. Our ability to get yardage will be predicated on excellent execution, consistent line play, great play calling and getting some nice breaks.

I expect we'll have our challenges moving the ball. We'll need a healthy mobile QB and some defensive breakdowns to come out on top in this one. I see it 17-6 at half, them. Final, 31-13. This will be a notable step up in competition, will be interesting to see how we compare.

I thought I was pretty clearly mirroring the tone and emotions of our meatball fans who are driven to existential crisis by Lovie's reluctance to make any private information public, and who may or may not have barbequed some Nike apparel over the weekend.
Just keep winning 2 games a year Lovie ..
I wouldn't tell anyone why either..
It will be refreshing to root for a Football team again in a few years ..
"GO ILLINI!!!!!" 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.