Pregame: Illinois vs USF, Saturday, September 15th, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Sorry to change the mary jane convo but why the heck did Scott Van Pelt predict that Illinois would cover and possibly win tomorrow? Does he know something we don't? I'm still sticking with a loss by the 17-24 range.
Well, I hope he is more right than you are, no offense. ;)

On to more important matters. Here is the offensive game plan devised by me. It works regardless of which QB with the middle initial J is on the field.
1. Hand the ball off to Epstein
2. Hand the ball off to Epstein
3. Throw the ball to Epstein
Repeat as necessary
4. Cue the fight song by the Marching Illini
5. McLaughlin kicks the extra point

Cruised over to the USF boards (didn't post, I promise!! ;)), and most posters were predicting a route for the Bulls. Can't blame 'em. Curiously, there were a couple of posters who picked us to pull the upset by a point. I guess I will go with this for now and hope I am wrong:

Without the suspended players: USF 42, Illinois 21
With the suspended players: USF 31, Illinois 24

foby

Bonnaroo Land
On to more important matters. Here is the offensive game plan devised by me. It works regardless of which QB with the middle initial J is on the field.
1. Hand the ball off to Epstein
2. Hand the ball off to Epstein
3. Throw the ball to Epstein
Repeat as necessary
4. Cue the fight song by the Marching Illini
5. McLaughlin kicks the extra point
6. McLaughlin kicks the kickoff out of the endzone

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Barn & Company closed down, Schoolyard is under new ownership and isn't as good (though they will be showing the game, School & Southport), the Illini bar situation in Chicago is as bad as it's ever been.

I've always been a fan of Durkins fwiw

Barn & Company closed down, Schoolyard is under new ownership and isn't as good (though they will be showing the game, School & Southport), the Illini bar situation in Chicago is as bad as it's ever been.

I have talked to multiple people over the years who have explained this to me. Even though there are easily more Illini fans than any other school in the city, there is way less demand for an Illini-specific bar. When Illinois is good (like 2007), any generic bar will have Illinois on the TV. There is a real demand for minority fan bases like Iowa and MSU to have a bar they know is specific to their teams and will always have their games on.

Go to any bar that isn’t affiliated with a team also playing at 2:30, and I think you’ll see U of I on TV.

IMO we have neither the depth, experience or athletes to match up here. This has the look of a 45-20 game to me. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't know. Are the Illini really overmatched? Granted, I just saw highlights of the game against GT, but they didn't strike me as world beaters. Their kickoff returner, Horne (what a name for a Bull), does concern me. I'm also worried about their qb picking apart a young Illini secondary. But I think the Illini will do a better job containing their qb than GT did. USF didn't strike me as the best tackling team out there, and I think Epstein, especially, can get some big plays. I do think the Illini will move the ball on them. I'm not expecting the blowout many of you are predicting, but I guess it's possible.

As many have said we Really need to play ball control with a occasional ball hopefully to #4 for a big play on the outside..
Epstein coming out party today not that he hasn't played great but could be closer too 200 yards then a 100 today and I think that happens and we'll all be happy..

If they come out throwing a lot up tempo look out don't wan a shoot out today.
Go Illini!!!

I've always been a fan of Durkins fwiw

Durkins is a PSU bar now right?

I have talked to multiple people over the years who have explained this to me. Even though there are easily more Illini fans than any other school in the city, there is way less demand for an Illini-specific bar. When Illinois is good (like 2007), any generic bar will have Illinois on the TV. There is a real demand for minority fan bases like Iowa and MSU to have a bar they know is specific to their teams and will always have their games on.

No, yeah, I understand the reasoning why it's different for us than other B1G teams, too many fans as opposed to too few. But even 4-5 years ago there were a number of different Illini-specific places that had pretty good atmospheres, and seeing that dwindle is a bummer.

Okay, time for me to start drinking.

I had predicted this as a win in my preseason selections, but with the injuries and suspension I think we're short of horses.

USF 35
:shield: 20

Shameful admission to my Loyalty friends:

This is the only weekend we could make our annual family Cubs game work for everybody involved, so I will be in Chicago but not at Soldier Field. :( Going to try to catch the first thirty minutes at a bar in Wrigleyville and then head into the park with my fingers crossed for our Illini.

Does anyone know if we can walk up and buy tickets at Soldier field on game day (via ticket window)? Thanks....

I don't know but I did hear a caller to a local radio show say that tickets could NOT be bought at Soldier Field. Take if for what it's worth.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
If it's on the BTN overflow channel, will it show up on Playstation vue? Does anyone know?

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
If it's on the BTN overflow channel, will it show up on Playstation vue? Does anyone know?

I’m not sure, but you may be able to access the game on the BTN2GO or Fox Sports Go apps with your Vue credentials.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl

Not sure about vue, but don't get it on youtubetv. Need to stream it from the BTN website.

Gameday spent a total of about 40seconds discussing our game. Essentially a unanimous "Illini have no chance". Pollack said he doesn't have confidence that we can score points. Nothing I directly disagree with, but we certainly have plenty of bulletin board material.

This is the only weekend we could make our annual family Cubs game work for everybody involved, so I will be in Chicago but not at Soldier Field. :( Going to try to catch the first thirty minutes at a bar in Wrigleyville and then head into the park with my fingers crossed for our Illini.
Uh huh. Well, I hope you're not leaving us for some Cubs Loyalty blog as well.

the national

the Front Range
2 picks for USF and 1 pick for Illinois on Game Day. Thoughts were that We arent ready for the big game and we couldnt score enough points. Other thoughts - Lovie is off to a nice start, good to see him win his first 2 games out of the gate.

the national

the Front Range

That sounds like a Nightmare! (I'm a cardinals fan;))

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
2 picks for USF and 1 pick for Illinois on Game Day. Thoughts were that We arent ready for the big game and we couldnt score enough points. Other thoughts - Lovie is off to a nice start, good to see him win his first 2 games out of the gate.

Did someone pick Illinois? I thought it was pretty unanimous USF (and some discussion about how they might actually be the best team in the state of FL)

Edit: My wife said that desmond picked IL in the beginning of the discussion that I missed. I stand corrected!

Status
Not open for further replies.