Pregame: Illinois vs Wisconsin, Saturday, October 19th, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
Losing is not progress. Moral victories in year 4 of your tenure is not progress. There is no score that involves losing that anyone should consider progress.

The bar for success at Illinois is low enough. Lowering to "Well we only lost by 11" in the 4th year of Lovie Smith is crazy.
First I said lets pretend we all are actually hoping Lovie is going to do a turnaround in the last 6 games of the season. I don't think he will, nor do most on here. Don't tell me losing to Wisconsin while looking like an actual B1G team by 11 is not progress from the ish show they put on at Minnesota. It is. Year 1 year 3 year 8 does not matter in the context of my question.
It is not a crazy, It is a simple question that if we lived in a universe where Lovie Smith and the D staff all of a sudden turned into good college coaches, what is the worse score they could lay yet still have a twinge of hope?
Wisconsin is head and shoulders above us and anyone we have played so far. But if we lost by 1 in quadruple OT still doesn't make you tilt your head just a little, so be it. It's your opinion.

Deleted member 654622

D
Absolutely....it's either a W or an L. ....don't like to keep lowering the bar and then somehow claim progress. Wisky will probably put in the reserves quickly...just cant accept that we only lost by 24 points as progress. We win OR we lose.
Let me start by stating I clearly believe Lovie is not the man for the job. My post should be evidence enough. But your saying that if our remaining games ended up like:
vs. Wisc 20-31
@ Purd 37-30
vs. Rutg 31-10
@ Mich St. 10-17
@ Iowa 17-21
vs NW 42-14
That's not progress?
That would be a whopping total of 5 wins. Not enough to get to a bowl. But played competitive against every remaining team, including on the road. Is this not progress from what we have been watching?
I still don't think Lovie's job should be safe. And I wouldn't be rooting for him to stay. It was a hypothetical question

Deleted member 654622

D
can somebody define pass blocking efficiency so I can know why we’re so good at it but suck so much offensively?
Pretty confident the majority of our sacks are due to skill players lack on blocking ability (Reggie Corbin) and the QB not moving through his progressions. The Oline has been pretty good

Best case I see is we score 17 points against the scrubs after falling behind by 40+ points. Worst case is the worst defeat in our history, have we ever lost by 70?
Lovie seems as disinterested as the average fan, perhaps a little more as he watches the entire game. Think I will watch this for laughs, or out of sheer Loyalty.

If we win 5 games, that is progress, but I would still doubt Lovie is the answer. Not sure what the answer is, unfortunately. Be willing to bet a beach mansion we don't.

GO ILLINI!

Let me start by stating I clearly believe Lovie is not the man for the job. My post should be evidence enough. But your saying that if our remaining games ended up like:
vs. Wisc 20-31
@ Purd 37-30
vs. Rutg 31-10
@ Mich St. 10-17
@ Iowa 17-21
vs NW 42-14
That's not progress?
That would be a whopping total of 5 wins. Not enough to get to a bowl. But played competitive against every remaining team, including on the road. Is this not progress from what we have been watching?
I still don't think Lovie's job should be safe. And I wouldn't be rooting for him to stay. It was a hypothetical question
If the season ended like that, I'd say give him another year and be optimistic. Any one of those individual games would be a high point of Lovie's tenure, but what stands out there is consistency and a strong finish to the season leading you to believe there is actual upward trajectory.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
vs. Wisc 20-31
@ Purd 37-30
vs. Rutg 31-10
@ Mich St. 10-17
@ Iowa 17-21
vs NW 42-14
That's not progress?

That would be a ton of progress. That's a dramatic difference from what we've seen in the first six games, or indeed the first 30 conference games of Lovie's tenure.

Ballpark, this is probably what the Vegas projections of those games are going to look like:

vs. Wisc 10-41
@ Purd 30-38
vs. Rutg 41-20
@ Mich St. 13-38
@ Iowa 10-31
vs. NW 17-21

So yeah, what you posited would be a big difference in 5 of those 6.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
can somebody define pass blocking efficiency so I can know why we’re so good at it but suck so much offensively?
Paraphrasing a discussion I saw on twitter about this, essentially what that PFF stat is measuring is pressures-per-dropback (they/I could be totally wrong on that). Our offense does not often do deep 4-5 step dropbacks to throw 30-40+ yards down the field, so we're getting the ball out quickly for short passes. The tradeoff is that because we're not stretching the defense, they're packed in already, clogging up the running game.

Deleted member 569417

D
First I said lets pretend we all are actually hoping Lovie is going to do a turnaround in the last 6 games of the season. I don't think he will, nor do most on here. Don't tell me losing to Wisconsin while looking like an actual B1G team by 11 is not progress from the ish show they put on at Minnesota. It is. Year 1 year 3 year 8 does not matter in the context of my question.
It is not a crazy, It is a simple question that if we lived in a universe where Lovie Smith and the D staff all of a sudden turned into good college coaches, what is the worse score they could lay yet still have a twinge of hope?
Wisconsin is head and shoulders above us and anyone we have played so far. But if we lost by 1 in quadruple OT still doesn't make you tilt your head just a little, so be it. It's your opinion.
If the rest of the year plays out like you later claim and they go 5-7, then sure, you claim progress... At the end of the year.

But I'm not going to make any definitive declarations based on one game against a clearly dominant team that will almost certainly rest players and coast as they are preparing for the biggest game of the year next week.

They could lose to Wisky by 14 because Wisky takes the 4th quarter off, run around and talk up the progress, and then they turn around and get boatraced by Purdue the next week. 1 game doesn't tell the story of what progress is/isn't. Especially in year 4 of this program

Deleted member 654622

D
If the rest of the year plays out like you later claim and they go 5-7, then sure, you claim progress... At the end of the year.

But I'm not going to make any definitive declarations based on one game against a clearly dominant team that will almost certainly rest players and coast as they are preparing for the biggest game of the year next week.

They could lose to Wisky by 14 because Wisky takes the 4th quarter off, run around and talk up the progress, and then they turn around and get boatraced by Purdue the next week. 1 game doesn't tell the story of what progress is/isn't. Especially in year 4 of this program
Don't disagree. Just intrigued on everyone's opinion on game 1 of 6.

I don’t think there is a plausible scenario where that can take place. Barring some kind of miracle that defies everything we’ve seen the past four years.
Its a Miracle.jpg

Probably one of the best videos I've ever seen Illinois make.

If that doesn't get you amped up, I don't know what will. Yeah, definitely got chills on that one. I only graduated 9 years ago...but I still get a little nostalgic walking on the quad and such. This video...perfect.

I still won't be going to the game tomorrow...but hey...at least Illini Productions gave a kickstart to my feels on this Friday...

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
It's not Illini Productions' job to read play action and get proper depth in zone coverage, so this shouldn't be taken as a slight against them per se, but this stuff rings so, so hollow when we're going into a game that's a total write-off.

This football program has not earned the tone of that video, it just hasn't. Save it for when it has, IMO.
I don't necessarily disagree with your take and it echos pretty similar to Robert's article the other day. I just like the video haha.

vs. Wisc 20-31
@ Purd 37-30
vs. Rutg 31-10
@ Mich St. 10-17
@ Iowa 17-21
vs NW 42-14
That's not progress?
Good points....but.....this would constitute lowering the bar....we're accepting a semi-competitive loss as progress....I think its a binary world..a W or an L. Year after Year, we will look back and say we won 5 games, NOT...we only lost by 10 or 14 or...etc. Looking at the final games of this season....outside of Wisky...who's the big boy? IOWA? Maybe..........but .the rest should be a W....If we have made even the tiniest of progress.

Good points....but.....this would constitute lowering the bar....we're accepting a semi-competitive loss as progress....I think its a binary world..a W or an L. Year after Year, we will look back and say we won 5 games, NOT...we only lost by 10 or 14 or...etc. Looking at the final games of this season....outside of Wisky...who's the big boy? IOWA? Maybe..........but .the rest should be a W....If we have made even the tiniest of progress.

Dude I’m legit not understanding you guys. Imagine two schools and you root for neither. I have to do this with Purdue fans all the time...

Imagine pac 12 school A has the season Purdue has, pac 12 school B has the season Illinois has. What makes you feel entitled to B winning the game?

You realize Purdue has beaten Iowa twice in a row and your statement is as crazy as any Purdue fan thinking we should beat Iowa.

There’s no objective evidence. Right now, there’s one big ten team Illinois should be favored over. And I say that as someone who roots for you guys (have several good acquaintances from the 01 team) most of the time when you aren’t playing Purdue.

It reminds me of Boiler fans who thought that we were going to be a team of mostly freshmen and sophomores and just because the talent is unprecedented for Purdue, we should win 8 games. I was pulling my hair out predicting 6-6 before the injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.