Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Illinois vs Xavier
Wednesday, November 21st
8:00pm CT
ESPNU

:illinois:

Teach the running floater...it's either 3, 3, 3, or an occasional Giorgi move...pretty predictable. I know BU may not have his guys yet, and this class looks to have been a "talent steal" if you will, albeit late in recruiting cycle, but c'mon, structure can be in place even without position basketball and constant ball pressure.

2-3 barely and a plane ride back home with team you just beat or lost too?

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
We don't need to play well, we don't need to establish an identity, we don't need to show progress on either end of the floor, we don't need to get any particular player going, we don't need to excite, we don't need to entertain, we just really really really REALLY need to score more points than Xavier in this game.

We don't need to play well, we don't need to establish an identity, we don't need to show progress on either end of the floor, we don't need to get any particular player going, we don't need to excite, we don't need to entertain, we just really really really REALLY need to score more points than Xavier in this game.

The frustrating part is because of all the newcomers, this is basically year 1 again. So there shouldn't be any expectations other than to play hard, be competitive, and show improvement.

The biggest win this season will be to have continuity going into next year. Can't have another mass exodus of guys leaving.

I just hope some of our shots fall. Easy to guard a team when no one can hit a consistent wide open 3 pt shot.

Punesguy

Ft. Collins, CO
Giorgi will end the game with only 3 fouls, Trent will be back to playing like Trent, Ayo and Feliz will drive to the bucket and score multiple baskets, the Defense will shut down the lane more effectively, Kipper will wake up from his really deep deep deep deep sleep and the Illini will fly home with a 78 - 72 victory ... damn that Orange Koolaid and Vodka is delicious!:shield:

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
there shouldn't be any expectations

This has got to stop. Every pile of garbage team everywhere in sports thinks they're the 76ers of a few years ago now. They're all wrong. Even the Sixers were wrong.

Never winning games you're good enough to win is failure, and failure begets failure. There is no chicken and egg here. Winning basketball games (or football games for that matter) is the chicken and the egg, period.

Not sure our style of defense is ideal for 3 games in 3 days. Players looked tired from the tip. Ran out of gas second half?

One of the big stories when Underwood was hired were the adjustments he made to save Oklahoma States’ season. It’s time.

the national

the Front Range
One of the big stories when Underwood was hired were the adjustments he made to save Oklahoma States’ season. It’s time.
What adjustments do you have in mind for this team? Line up change or scheme change? As a fan, Im not sure what I would change this early in the season. Everything is still new and getting settled in

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
In his 3 minute post game interview, Underwood himself gave the reasons change is needed. To be honest, I wasn’t sure until I heard him describe what he viewed the problems were.
Opponents high fg% and ineffective offense sets are just like last year. These games all look the same. Easy buckets for opponents and tons of fouls. Offense is streaky and depends on a hot 3pt shooter. I really want underwood to succeed. It’s early but these games look a LOT like last year even as you have different types of players on the floor.

SKane

Tennessee
Who are the announcers?

I hope that Walton is not one of them.

I expect that ILL will surprise somehow and win a close game. It's got to happen sometime, right?

What adjustments do you have in mind for this team? Line up change or scheme change? As a fan, Im not sure what I would change this early in the season. Everything is still new and getting settled in

I think he changed defensive scheme at OSU after starting 0-6 or something in conference. We have a long way to go before he is ready to consider change again for us.

A few posters have said that they believe he knows our team is not probably a tournament team this year, and thus there is no point in changing, if this style is indeed what he wants to play with in the future.

If the difference in changing styles is 12 wins changes to 15, then there is no point, but if it can get us to the tourney, then I think it'd be worth considering. We'll see.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
A few posters have said that they believe he knows our team is not probably a tournament team this year, and thus there is no point in changing, if this style is indeed what he wants to play with in the future.

If the difference in changing styles is 12 wins changes to 15, then there is no point, but if it can get us to the tourney, then I think it'd be worth considering. We'll see.

breadman

Herndon, VA
The frustrating part is because of all the newcomers, this is basically year 1 again. So there shouldn't be any expectations other than to play hard, be competitive, and show improvement.

The biggest win this season will be to have continuity going into next year. Can't have another mass exodus of guys leaving.

Totally agree. I have never seen this group of basketball players play a game/season before. So why have expectations. My expectations will change as this group builds its history.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

giphy.gif

I think we saw in two games what a team looks like with and without confidence.

Some players need to understand it's Ok to make mistakes but some of this passive style of play to gain minutes has to stop.

Illinois vs Xavier
Wednesday, November 21st
8:00pm CT
ESPNU

:illinois:

At least we aren't on national tv. We need weaker competition.

I'm pleasantly surprised by Giorgi and Ayo. Feliz is doing ok, but he's trying to make plays to lift the team that are a little outside his ability. Coaching is so-so overall. Was hoping for a jump from DMW, but not seeing much to be excited about. I was SHOCKED at one point to see our offense actually running like SFA. Giorgi is such a warrior, and actually understands what he's supposed to do at a fundamental level. Offense still doesn't move nearly enough, but there are hints that these guys will get it eventually. Shout out to Griffon for having a few signs of life. Not expecting him to play like that consistently, but it was great to see him hit some shots and make some hustle plays.

We just don't know how to win. Guys are trying like hell, and that's a good sign, but the light hasn't gone on. There's a long way between what we're watching and a winning club. Freshman players make freshman plays...that's ok. The team as a unit is still a ways from running the offense and defense, but it's more like it should be.

We're basically in year 1. Don't kid yourself that we're better this year than last. Not gonna point fingers, but I think some of the carryovers look lost. The young guys are going to carry this team, so look for improvement. Results will come if they keep at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.