Pulling a 180 on Michigan State

The Transfer Portal
I didn't know where else to put this, so I figured I'd start a new thread.

Am I alone in having completed an almost total reversal on Michigan State? It's bizarre to me - in St. Louis in 2005, our fanbases more or less merged for the weekend. If you told me then that 10 years later I'd really be enjoying watching them choke away a home game to Minnesota based on pretty much nothing but spite, I'd have thought that was crazy.

I think they might be in "Don't care if they're B1G, I hope they go down" territory come tournament time. That's rare air reserved for Indiana and Iowa.

It just struck me as odd - I can't think of anything analogous in the rest of the sports I follow/teams I cheer for.

No, you're not alone. Part of it is our decline in the pecking order I'm sure. Izzo's comments regarding Weber probably didn't help. And on a silly personal note, I used to enjoy reading/posting on their message board (tRCMB) back in the day when it was an independent board. They sold out to 247sports a few years ago and now it's just another fan board with very little decent discussion and a bunch of trolls.

That's a winner!!
OH
I agree, mostly it was Izzo's comments when Weber was fired that did it for me.

Am I alone in having completed an almost total reversal on Michigan State? It's bizarre to me - in St. Louis in 2005, our fanbases more or less merged for the weekend. If you told me then that 10 years later I'd really be enjoying watching them choke away a home game to Minnesota based on pretty much nothing but spite, I'd have thought that was crazy.

I think they might be in "Don't care if they're B1G, I hope they go down" territory come tournament time. That's rare air reserved for Indiana and Iowa.

It just struck me as odd - I can't think of anything analogous in the rest of the sports I follow/teams I cheer for.
I wouldn't put them in the same category as Iowa or Indiana, but I definitely like Izzo less than I used to. He's a great coach, but doesn't seem to get the great teams that he used to. Now he resorts to working the refs for 40 minutes which isn't much fun to watch.

Plus the whole "We wronged Bruce Weber" thing was real lame. Maybe he can hire him in 2016 after Bruce gets fired by KSU.

During the Weber years there was a narrative about how Bruce and Izzo were friends and how they respected eachother, blah blah blah. It lead to a feeling that the programs had the same mutual level of respect. It also use to seem like MSU game was THE game to attend every year during the Weber years. We always seemed to have a shot at beating them. That atmosphere began to change once BW left. Now its declined to the point where it is today.

The last 8 or 9 year stretch has left many an Illinois fan very jaded. Why shouldn't it, it's one of the worst eras in our history. OTOH, any program in the B1G w/any success has been hated. MSU has been very successful so why not hate.

I wouldn't put them in the same category as Iowa or Indiana, but I definitely like Izzo less than I used to. He's a great coach, but doesn't seem to get the great teams that he used to. Now he resorts to working the refs for 40 minutes which isn't much fun to watch.

Plus the whole "We wronged Bruce Weber" thing was real lame. Maybe he can hire him in 2016 after Bruce gets fired by KSU.
This neatly summarizes my feelings as well.

Scottsdale, AZ
It's been a long strange trip for my MSU feelings.

I actively cheered for them in 2005. I watched their games when they didn't involve IL. I may have even owned a MSU shirt.

That started to fade in the late 2000's, not really sure why, but Izzo seemed to be gradually more annoying, their teams a bit less likable.

Now, I downright despise MSU. I loathe Izzo. I find him whiny and completely unlikable. He complains the entire game, every game. He throws tantrums like a child. And, the media just shrugs and says "That Izzo, he's so tough and engaged!"

The Weber commentary was bizarre and in terrible form.

Down with Izzo. Down with MSU.

Related - I like Michigan a lot now. Weird.

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA
I agree, cheering for MSU doesn't make me feel good like it used to. I've got a friend out here, really the only other person I know that's a college basketball fanatic, and he's a Maryland fan so they're the new Michigan St., for me.

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA

I actively cheered for them in 2005. I watched their games when they didn't involve IL. I may have even owned a MSU shirt.

That started to fade in the late 2000's, not really sure why, but Izzo seemed to be gradually more annoying, their teams a bit less likable.

Now, I downright despise MSU. I loathe Izzo. I find him whiny and completely unlikable. He complains the entire game, every game. He throws tantrums like a child. And, the media just shrugs and says "That Izzo, he's so tough and engaged!"

I'm right there too--for me it's Beilein. He's a guy I'd want coaching my kids and/or alma mater. I still really dislike scUM fans for the most part, but that's a program I envy more years than not.

They never will surpass Indiana but Wisconsin isn't far behind in my book . Probably because of Bo but they seem to be getting cocky to me.

I read or heard someone once say something (it's not my original thought - I wish it were) that if you wake up in the morning and you bump into an a$$ho!@ then you bumped into an a$$ho!@. But if you bump into them all day long, then maybe you're the a$$ho!@. It feels like as a fanbase we hate everyone, and are becoming dislikeable ourselves. I agree with the post above that feels it is a testament to our bad 8 plus years, making us somewhat bitter and angry at anyone else who enjoys any success.

I'm probably in the minority, but I still think well of MSU and Izzo. Izzo sticking up for Weber was exactly what I expected, but not for the sinister reasons that posters came up with --I thought he actually liked Weber both as a person and colleague. Weber, Izzo, Keady, those guys are old school and have seen the sport change. I think they'd rather see college bball go back 20 or 30 years, and we all know that's not gonna happen.

My experience with MSU fans is that they are spoiled, but not entitled. I don't find them to be as bad as many other programs.

Great post, I feel the same way. I think it's equal parts izzo complaining on the sidelines and izzo complaining about weber being treated unfairly.

It's too bad, I used to really like their team when they weren't playing us. That 04-05 team with Ager, Hill, Torbert, Brown, Anderson, Davis, etc... was really fun to watch play. They were also one of the few teams that could hang with the Illini in the EA sports college bball game that year, and I didn't own the game so I never got to choose my team first and pick the illini.

The Transfer Portal
I read or heard someone once say something (it's not my original thought - I wish it were) that if you wake up in the morning and you bump into an a$$ho!@ then you bumped into an a$$ho!@. But if you bump into them all day long, then maybe you're the a$$ho!@. It feels like as a fanbase we hate everyone, and are becoming dislikeable ourselves. I agree with the post above that feels it is a testament to our bad 8 plus years, making us somewhat bitter and angry at anyone else who enjoys any success.
See that's the thing, though. I don't feel this way about Wisconsin. Or Ohio State. And to echo some of the other posters here, I've actually really enjoyed watching Michigan since Beilein started coaching there.

See that's the thing, though. I don't feel this way about Wisconsin. Or Ohio State. And to echo some of the other posters here, I've actually really enjoyed watching Michigan since Beilein started coaching there.
It feels so wrong, but I have to agree. I keep telling myself that I hate Michigan but they've actually have been likeable lately.

Other than Adreian Payne, I haven't really liked MSU all that much in recent years.

Golden, IL
I don't really dislike MSU. I dislike Izzo. I used to think highly of him, but now he's just a whiner.

I can never bring myself to root for Michigan. I do agree with the premise that things took a turn when Izzo took shots after the Weber era. I used to like to watch them.

I dont like any of them. I understand the "its better for our conference if they win" angle, but thats just not me. I know people that went to just about every big ten school and if were not winning it all, I certainly don't want them to. Call me jealous, call me bitter, both are probably acurate, but I actively rooted against wisconsin and Michigan when they went to the final four

Wow I thought I was alone in my thinking of now hating MSU and liking Michigan. And yes I never woulda guessed that I'd feel this way 10 years ago. It's good to know there are others who think like me. For me it all has to do with the coaches.....Izzo is completely unlikeable to me now and an arrogant jerk, but Bielein comes off as respectable. Yes....it's very weird!

They never will surpass Indiana but Wisconsin isn't far behind in my book . Probably because of Bo but they seem to be getting cocky to me.
+1. Bo is arrogance personified on the sidelines. I've had two conversations with JG over the last 3 years thanks to a generous donor in my family. I asked JG about Bo maybe 3-4 weeks after UI got hammered at UW 2 years ago. JG was diplomatic, praising his coaching acumen and results, but then added "Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of him as a person, though" and winked. I feel the same way.

+1. Bo is arrogance personified on the sidelines. I've had two conversations with JG over the last 3 years thanks to a generous donor in my family. I asked JG about Bo maybe 3-4 weeks after UI got hammered at UW 2 years ago. JG was diplomatic, praising his coaching acumen and results, but then added "Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of him as a person, though" and winked. I feel the same way.
HAHAHAHA!

Beilein is my favorite non-UI coach in the B1G. Very classy guy. Rarely works the refs, stays calm most of the game, classy in victory and defeat and is an offensive genius imo. What he did with WV's program and his last couple of UM teams before this season's injury-ravaged squad (very familiar to us as UI fans this year) was amazing.

HAHAHAHA!
That was my exact reaction. I couldn't help but crack up. I think this was after we beat UNL at home a few weeks after the UW game where Ryan seemed to be lecturing JG in the hallway afterwards, JG tried to get away, Bo grabbed his arm and kept talking, and then JG just up and left. Saw it on YouTube or maybe here.