Pulling a 180 on Michigan State

Christian County, IL
I didn't know where else to put this, so I figured I'd start a new thread.

Am I alone in having completed an almost total reversal on Michigan State? It's bizarre to me - in St. Louis in 2005, our fanbases more or less merged for the weekend. If you told me then that 10 years later I'd really be enjoying watching them choke away a home game to Minnesota based on pretty much nothing but spite, I'd have thought that was crazy.

I think they might be in "Don't care if they're B1G, I hope they go down" territory come tournament time. That's rare air reserved for Indiana and Iowa.

It just struck me as odd - I can't think of anything analogous in the rest of the sports I follow/teams I cheer for.
Admit it. It was the banshee lady, right? :D

Yonkers, NY
I used to pull for MSU in non-con games until Izzo made his idoitic Weber remarks. F Izzo and MSU.

See that's the thing, though. I don't feel this way about Wisconsin. Or Ohio State. And to echo some of the other posters here, I've actually really enjoyed watching Michigan since Beilein started coaching there.
Being an Illini fan from Wisconsin, I am far from enjoying their past 10+ years of success. And I can't stand Bo Ryan. Can't deny the results though, which pains me to say.

All in all, I agree with your points. MSU is with the likes of Indiana and Iowa for me.

I wasn't around for the '89 team (born in 1990), so I've never had a true distaste for Michigan and Beilein has made them really enjoyable. And even though they hack like monsters, I have no ill-will toward Purdue (my brother went there, so I consider myself a fan by proxy).

Last edited:
Yeah no doubt things have changed.

And I understand being annoyed with Izzo's comments but I don't get the full on hatred.

You could make a strong argument that he should have remained silent. But you could make a similar argument that Bruce was one of his best friends and he was just sticking up for him. Some people would call that admirable to not give in to political correctness. And he wasn't critiquing our fanbase, just our new AD. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rank that a 3 in terms of things to get upset about.

Agree 100%. Izzo has become coach K w/o the charm and increasingly w/o the burger boys. Beilein is Lon Kruger that buys rather than rents.

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA
Yeah no doubt things have changed.

And I understand being annoyed with Izzo's comments but I don't get the full on hatred.

You could make a strong argument that he should have remained silent. But you could make a similar argument that Bruce was one of his best friends and he was just sticking up for him. Some people would call that admirable to not give in to political correctness. And he wasn't critiquing our fanbase, just our new AD. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rank that a 3 in terms of things to get upset about.
The Weber thing was one thing, but the issue that really gets puts me off with Izzo is how he works the refs, especially at home, and expects--nay, DEMANDS--for calls to go his way. Watch MSU play a game on the road and note how Izzo's demeanor and attitude toward the refs. Then watch them play at Breslin. It's almost 2 different coaches, and it really impacts the way the game gets called in East Lansing--we experienced that first hand with the "technical" at the end of the game up there.

The Weber thing was one thing, but the issue that really gets puts me off with Izzo is how he works the refs, especially at home, and expects--nay, DEMANDS--for calls to go his way. Watch MSU play a game on the road and note how Izzo's demeanor and attitude toward the refs. Then watch them play at Breslin. It's almost 2 different coaches, and it really impacts the way the game gets called in East Lansing--we experienced that first hand with the "technical" at the end of the game up there.
Bo is the same way except he demands calls home and away.

The Transfer Portal
Izzo, of all people (what with his series of senior classes that got at least one Final Four) should know that this is a results business. There was a way to have done that where it would have been only about sticking up for a friend. He didn't do it that way.

Izzo, of all people (what with his series of senior classes that got at least one Final Four) should know that this is a results business. There was a way to have done that where it would have been only about sticking up for a friend. He didn't do it that way.
If not sticking up for a friend, then how was it done?

The Transfer Portal
If not sticking up for a friend, then how was it done?

Like this:

"I think it's ridiculous the way that thing was handled. And if I take abuse for that, I really don't care, because I'm also president of our (coaches) association. This isn't about a friendship. This is about a profession. And whenever you're in an organization … the only way you can be successful is if the top to bottom, from the president to the trainer are all on the same page."

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2012/03/michigan_states_tom_izzo_blast.html

Like this:

"I think it's ridiculous the way that thing was handled. And if I take abuse for that, I really don't care, because I'm also president of our (coaches) association. This isn't about a friendship. This is about a profession. And whenever you're in an organization … the only way you can be successful is if the top to bottom, from the president to the trainer are all on the same page."

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2012/03/michigan_states_tom_izzo_blast.html
Its just my opinion, but
I still dont get the vitriol aimed at Izzo for that.

Because he talked zhit on our administration?
Ive followed Illinois basketball for over 40 years and theres a few things I dont really get. There is some anger toward a few by many in the fanbase. One of those I really agree with is Bruce Pearl. I respect Ryan as a coach, but I can do without him, too.

This is how I root when it comes to each game:

#1. Illini always and forever
#2. Underdog(Including Big Ten Games)
#3. Big Ten Teams

He threw a public temper tantrum and characterized our athletic department as being out of line and unprofessional.
I'm just a fan. Maybe I would feel differently if I were an alum. I was disappointed when Self left , too. I don't understand the hatred for him either.

4th & Chalmers, a few years ago...Now? Weeki Wach
For me, it's all about 1 school...my beloved Illini. I don't like Iowa, I don't like Purdue, I don't like NU, Minny, Wisky, Mich, MSU...none of 'em!! And now that Rutgers and MD are in...I don't like them either!!!

My favorite aunt and uncle moved to Okemos, MI from Northbrook when I was like 13. Okemos is like a mile from Spartyland. 3 of my cousins went to Sparty.

I hate Sparty...

Edit: The other 2 cousins went to Central Mich. I like Central Mich...

There are people that think that Izzo was the driving force behind IU's demise under Sampscum. He was very upset that BW got a raw deal out of the IDKWTI deal plus it facilitated putting his boy Crean in place. Izzo pushed both the B1G and NCAA hard on IU.

Last edited:
The Transfer Portal
I'm just a fan. Maybe I would feel differently if I were an alum. I was disappointed when Self left , too. I don't understand the hatred for him either.

I don't hate Self or even dislike him. 9 out of 10 people would leave Illinois for Kansas. That's one of the top five jobs in CBB.

There are people that think that Izzo was the driving force behind IU's demise under Sampscum. He was very upset that BW got a raw deal out of the IDKWTI deal plus it facilitated putting his boy Crean in place. Izzo pushed both the B1G and NCAA hard IU.
I don't think Sampson needed any help.

There are people that think that Izzo was the driving force behind IU's demise under Sampscum. He was very upset that BW got a raw deal out of the IDKWTI deal plus it facilitated putting his boy Crean in place. Izzo pushed both the B1G and NCAA hard on IU.
If true, shouldn't he be our hero?

Baja Ontario
I am an Illini with 30+ years living in Michigan. The big things for me, from the beginning, are that MSU has Michigan kids on their rosters (football & basketball) and an alumni fan base. Michigan has national rosters and the bandwagon fans. And MSU fans have always been far more enjoyable to be around when I have been the token Illini fan on the company tickets. I dislike Izzo's theatrics, but he is a genuine class guy off the court and a low key doer of good things. Frankly, when my daughter chose MSU over UM, I was pleased.