Pulling a 180 on Michigan State

Woodridge, IL
Made me think about where my B1G hate list stands...

Indiana
Iowa
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Nebraska
Purdue
Minnesota
Maryland
Rutgers

Made me think about where my B1G hate list stands...

Indiana
Iowa
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Nebraska
Purdue
Minnesota
Maryland
Rutgers
My list is:
India-wa
Io-ana
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Michigan

Repeat:D

My DIL is an MSU alum, so I'm prohibited by law from rooting against Sparty:D

I do think a lot of this is jealousy. Bo has Wisky where we should have been for the last 15 yrs. Izzo has a nationally recognized program. Matta has consistently gotten better players than we have, etc.

If JG can get it together and get our program back to where it should be there will be a competitive spirit against all B1G opponents, but less hate IMO.

Sycamore, Illinois
I still kind of root for Michigan St when they aren't playing us or in a game that affects us. Especially in high profile non-conference games which they seem to get a lot of.

I still like Izzo. Didn't mind him sticking up for Weber. I agree he is a whiner on the sideline though and that is a little grating.

I also like the way Beilien coaches. Glad he came to the B1G even it was to Michigan. In general when it comes tournament time I find myself cheering for B1G teams. Even Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin. Though Iowa will be harder this year as I've started to dislike Mcaffrey. Would have been easier had we beat them. Cheering for Maryland as a B1G team may take some time.

Orange Crush '89
Northern Illinois
Like this:

"I think it's ridiculous the way that thing was handled. And if I take abuse for that, I really don't care, because I'm also president of our (coaches) association. This isn't about a friendship. This is about a profession. And whenever you're in an organization … the only way you can be successful is if the top to bottom, from the president to the trainer are all on the same page."

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2012/03/michigan_states_tom_izzo_blast.html
Getting pissed again, f that guy.

Here is my problem with Izzo.
When he was spouting off about Illinois not doing the right thing, he was wrong. Illinois was doing the right thing for Illinois. Not doing the right thing for Bruce Weber, that is clear enough, but doing the right thing for Illinois.

However, When Izzo was flirting with the NBA, leaving his team in a position of anxiety, no one gave him any noise about that at all. It was ok for him to consider what was right for team Izzo (i.e. one wife and children, but no players) but it was not right for Illinois to do what was right for Illinois because high and mighty Tom Izzo said so. That is the hypocrisy that drove me crazy. That is why I can't abide his shenanigans.

Los Angeles
However, When Izzo was flirting with the NBA, leaving his team in a position of anxiety, no one gave him any noise about that at all. It was ok for him to consider what was right for team Izzo (i.e. one wife and children, but no players) but it was not right for Illinois to do what was right for Illinois because high and mighty Tom Izzo said so. That is the hypocrisy that drove me crazy. That is why I can't abide his shenanigans.
Man, I cannot see at all how those two are analogous.

No problem here with Izzo. Appreciated the battles MSU & UI have had over the years, both on the court and in recruiting. No problem with Bo either...I admire what he's built. Truly unique.

Crean and IU though? Serious vitriol.

Logan Square, Chicago
My Big Ten hate list:

Iowa.

Honorable Mention (i.e., they're annoying but I don't care that much):

MSU, Wisc

Everyone else is fine.

My hate list:

Ohio State far and away #1
Wisconsin
Indiana
Northwestern
Purdue
Iowa

Sparty fluctuates for me. Sometimes they are one of my favorite teams (09-10 Final Fours; when they beat OSU) and sometimes they are in my top three hated, like this year.

My hate list:

Ohio State far and away #1
Wisconsin
Indiana
Northwestern
Purdue
Iowa

Sparty fluctuates for me. Sometimes they are one of my favorite teams (09-10 Final Fours; when they beat OSU) and sometimes they are in my top three hated, like this year.
Finally somebody mentions Ohio State as a hated team. Particularly once Matta built the basketball program into a contender. By far the most arrogant obnoxious fan base in sports.

Finally somebody mentions Ohio State as a hated team. Particularly once Matta built the basketball program into a contender. By far the most arrogant obnoxious fan base in sports.
Ahead of Notre Dame football? You are kidding, right? And, UNC basketball?

Logan Square, Chicago
-1. Clown pants, Sampson and RMK. Enough said.
Aaron Jordan wears those same pants. We all like him

Sampson is a dirtbag...but that's years ago.

Never watched RMK...I'm too young. But that's a long time ago.

Just like Abraham Lincoln said, "You've gotta let old sports grudges go, or I will attack you with the North."

uh, Maine
I don't hold grudges in life, but I definitely hold grudges in sports. Bruce Pearl, Notre Dame football, the NY Yankees and IU b-ball are at the top of my list. I will never let those grudges go. It makes sports more interesting for me when I get to actively root against these teams, regardless of who their opponent is.

Growing up and living around Bucknut fans I have long held them to be the most obnoxious. Worse than the actual folks associated with the school is the WalMart alums that only have the connection of buying gear at Wally world. Red and grey cell phone cases, cars, shoes, home decor ....the poor Browns, Bengals and Blue Jackets are non existent in the local and state wide newspapers and broadcast media. Though basketball is making noise in the bigger picture locally the sport pales and is virtually a non entity to the fanbase compared to football which dominates all day every day.

Alabama
Growing up and living around Bucknut fans I have long held them to be the most obnoxious. Worse than the actual folks associated with the school is the WalMart alums that only have the connection of buying gear at Wally world. Red and grey cell phone cases, cars, shoes, home decor ....the poor Browns, Bengals and Blue Jackets are non existent in the local and state wide newspapers and broadcast media. Though basketball is making noise in the bigger picture locally the sport pales and is virtually a non entity to the fanbase compared to football which dominates all day every day.
You think it's bad there, try living in AL!! :D

Top 3 in order:

Indiana
Ohio State
Iowa

I'll cheer for anybody but Indiana if they are playing out of conference. And I still have no problem with Izzo. He stood up for his friend, big freaking deal.

As a younger Chicago-native, Northwestern is at the top of the list for calling itself Chicago's Big Ten team all over the city. I wish Illinois would do some advertising.

Kirksville, MO
As a younger Chicago-native, Northwestern is at the top of the list for calling itself Chicago's Big Ten team all over the city. I wish Illinois would do some advertising.
Winning is the best form of advertising.
If you can't win, call yourself "Chicago's Big Ten Team".