Pulling a 180 on Michigan State

I don't hold grudges in life, but I definitely hold grudges in sports. Bruce Pearl, Notre Dame football, the NY Yankees and IU b-ball are at the top of my list. I will never let those grudges go. It makes sports more interesting for me when I get to actively root against these teams, regardless of who their opponent is.
In order to "let go," or to forgive, the offending party needs to offer some type of apology or remorse for their actions IMHO. Rmk will never apologize, neither will pearl or Sampson. Hard to me to move on, although I don't let it consume me.

Pretty much anywhere in SEC country by my estimation.

Like my Dawgs co-workers say--there's 2 seasons in Georgia: Football season and recruiting season.
I remember the old joke was there are two sports in the south, football anspd spring football.:D

As a younger Chicago-native, Northwestern is at the top of the list for calling itself Chicago's Big Ten team all over the city. I wish Illinois would do some advertising.
Eh, I don't mind them marketing that motto. They have to try something.

I more object to the media buying into it when no one else does :D

Wilmette, IL
Finally somebody mentions Ohio State as a hated team. Particularly once Matta built the basketball program into a contender. By far the most arrogant obnoxious fan base in sports.
Have you never met a Notre Dame fan?!

Wilmette, IL
It's kind of ironic that we all hate those opposing coaches that whine, complain, work the refs and go nuts. All of my non-Illini friends' first comments about Illinois basketball, certainly during Weber's years and now again with Groce, is that our coaches need to "Settle DOWN!"

"THE" Ohio State University.
Need I say more?
I think the "The" is a simple and unique trademark that distinguishes Ohio State from other schools. As fans of rival teams we tend to loathe it because of their success; particularly in both football and basketball over the last decade or so. All in all, I like it and really don't have much ill-will toward OSU other than breaking up the perfect season in 04-05.

To me, it's similar to Miami and "The U."

As a younger Chicago-native, Northwestern is at the top of the list for calling itself Chicago's Big Ten team all over the city. I wish Illinois would do some advertising.
Lived near north for 10 years and never really felt that. At the time Depaul was legit, Marquette was relevant, Loyola was at least in the news and Northwestern was an afterthought. Maybe it has changed but on my frequent returns and with one of my young friends from Greensburg IN playing at NW I still don't see much. You want to get it full force try living in Lafayette with a boatload of IU fans around you or anyplace in Ohio with all the Bucknuts surrounding you. NW is a relatively anonymous entity in the world of Chicago sports.

Ahead of Notre Dame football? You are kidding, right? And, UNC basketball?
Now there is the one I had trouble with living in CHicago. Every parochial school kid grows up loving the Irish and the adults say "we" when talking about the team, At that point I just assume ND because no other fanbase uses "WE" the way they do...as if they are right down there on the field sluggin it out. To this day I keep a Notre Dame cup I got as a gift on my credenza. Every rep that comes in and starts in on the Irish makes the staff just smile.....cause they know someone just took the bait.

"THE" Ohio State University.
Need I say more?
Adding "The" to the official name of University happened in 1878, before then it was known as Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College. It was also incorporated into the new logo in the mid-80s as a means of differentiation from multiple other institutions such as Oregon State, Oklahoma State. That was a university decision, not a sports decision.

I think the "The" is a simple and unique trademark that distinguishes Ohio State from other schools. As fans of rival teams we tend to loathe it because of their success; particularly in both football and basketball over the last decade or so. All in all, I like it and really don't have much ill-will toward OSU other than breaking up the perfect season in 04-05.

To me, it's similar to Miami and "The U."
THE is because STATE lost a lawsuit and had to accede to an agreement with OHIO when they wrongly stated using the brand OHIO instead of Ohio State. The agreement over trademark infringement gave OHIO (1804) legal rights to the name over the land grant university, Ohio State (1874), who was using it. Only place I ever saw where they indiscriminately use another U's name. Imagine that happening in any other state calling the place in Lansing "Michigan" or Saying "Iowa" in Ames or "GO Illinois" in Bloomington. Once the ruling came down and the agreement was hammered out A&M attached the "The" out front.

Seems one could/should distinguish between fanbases and coaches. Fanbase-wise, my top five in order of animus are Iowa, Iowa, Iowa, OSU and OSU. Indiana and Michigan next. If we're going outside the B1G then ND absolutely has to be included in the list. Coaching-wise, it's actually hard for me to detest any of the B1G coaches as much as I detest the aforementioned fanbases. Two coaches would seem to standout as the biggest jerks: Ryan and McCaffrey. (Is it a coincidence they're both arrogant Philadelphians? I think not). I don't really care for Izzo and Matta but they're not bad enough to get me too riled. Going outside the B1G, Pearl, Sampson and Alford are all-time POSs.

Aaron Jordan wears those same pants. We all like him

Sampson is a dirtbag...but that's years ago.

Never watched RMK...I'm too young. But that's a long time ago.

Just like Abraham Lincoln said, "You've gotta let old sports grudges go, or I will attack you with the North."
It's not a grudge. Most UI fans just don't like IU. Not much to like there.

If you were older and watched RMK, you'd have IU at the top of your list. Was a basketball genius, but his sideline demeanor and treatment of players alone was appalling.

Why do you hate Iowa but not IU? I don't like either but can't think of any reasons to dislike Iowa more other than Pearl.

It's not a grudge. Most UI fans just don't like IU. Not much to like there.

If you were older and watched RMK, you'd have IU at the top of your list. Was a basketball genius, but his sideline demeanor and treatment of players alone was appalling.

Why do you hate Iowa but not IU? I don't like either but can't think of any reasons to dislike Iowa more other than Pearl.
I know I'm in the Minority. But I'm an '86 Illini grad that lives n breaths Illini Basketball. Hated IU under RMK. But IU is my second favorite team today. My son plays soccer there. He won a National Championship & plays for a coach and program that is just flat out CLASS to the max. I know IU isn't playing soccer tomorrow, but I will still be rooting for both the Illini and IU.

Last edited by a moderator: