Purdue 46, Illinois 7 POSTGAME

Dan

Admin

Last edited:
It's the way you lose. Undisciplined. Killer penalties. Ill-conceived game plan on both sides. Stubborn refusal to adjust base defense that is a poor fit for your personnel and the times. No in-game adjustments. A 0-46 run. A home blowout at the hands of a 2-3 team. In the sixth game of a coaching regime's third year.

"Now this is not the end of the Lovie Smith era. It is not even the beginning of the end of the Lovie Smith era. But it is ... actually on second thought it probably is the beginning of the end of the Lovie Smith era." -- Winston Churchill, if he were an Illini fan

Sawicky

Chicago, IL
Most disappointing Illinois game I have watched during the Lovie era in my opinion. They took 5 steps back today after a step forward last week. Bush needs to be benched. You can't be a Big Ten QB and not be able to consistently throw the ball more than 10 yards. He also holds the ball way too much now and he isn't performing well.

Again huge huge disappointment.

How do Epstein and Corbin only get a combined 8 touches today?

The only reason Purdue didn’t get 800 yards of offense was because they decided not to. Wisconsin is going to be able to pick their own score.

Deleted member 746094

D
More of a UofI basketball fan, but follow football close enough to know that Lovie wasn’t the right hire and today is proving that. Felt his hire was a bit of a publicity stunt and lack of improvement is making me feel u may be proven right.

Purdue has some good athletes, but we look 1) undisciplined 2) unsure 3) unathletic (comparably). At this point in Lovie’s tenure and with his resume the penalties and missed assignments are completely unacceptable. I understand the lack of talent/athletes, but mental mistakes reflect directly on the coaches!

Lovie’s defensive scheme is great when you have studs in your front 7 and playmakers in the secondary. We have neither and it showed today...glaring! Badgers may put 70 on us. Need to put your players in a scheme that doesn’t expose them and our players are running around clueless.

I agree with most in that Bush is trying to literally carry the offense every snap and looks less than competent as a passer. Our RBs are tough runners and we don’t feed them the ball. We will see 8 in the box the rest of the year as we have no weapons outside the hashes. Give one of the young QBs the chance and call plays forcing them to hand the ball off.

I think Lovie gets another year. For many reasons not performance related. He just isn’t the right guy and it is showing. Time will tell...

I have been pro Lovie up until today. But you cant sit your best QB on the bench while your backup runs the ball.

We have TWO of the TOP 25 Running backs in the country, and they have a combined 8 touches! Not to mention Epstein only has 1!!! If those are the decisions this coaching staff is going to make, then they need to go.

Edit - I didnt want to double post. We also had a lot of big time recruits at this game. I dont see how any of them commit to Illinois after seeing that.

Deleted member 4333

D
On to basketball season. Let's hope we see some progress there.

Deleted member 746094

D
I have been pro Lovie up until today. But you cant sit your best QB on the bench while your backup runs the ball.

We have TWO of the TOP 25 Running backs in the country, and they have a combined 8 touches! Not to mention Epstein only has 1!!! If those are the decisions this coaching staff is going to make, then they need to go.

Edit - I didnt want to double post. We also had a lot of big time recruits at this game. I dont see how any of them commit to Illinois after seeing that.
+1000 in regards to the recruits at the game. A 2-3 team put on a clinic against us!

Biggest crowd of the year (42k). By the end of the game there was more black in the stands than orange. I wonder if we'll get half of that for Minny.

We will not be a competitive program as long as we rely on one year rental QBs. We are in year 1 of developing QBs.

We are in year 2 at RB, Wr and defense. We should have a competitive defense next year.

We will have ugly losses through this year. Hopefully we can get a couple more victories this season. But unlikely if we don't rely on our strength RBs and make dumb mental mistakes.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
It's the way you lose. Undisciplined. Killer penalties. Ill-conceived game plan on both sides. Stubborn refusal to adjust base defense that is a poor fit for your personnel and the times. No in-game adjustments. A 0-46 run. A home blowout at the hands of a 2-3 team. In the sixth game of a coaching regime's third year.

Was at the game with high, albeit unfounded hopes of an upset and the beginning of “We Will Win” coming to consistent fruition. Left very disappointed. Agree with all of the above. 46-0 run by a mid-tier B1G opponent.

Deleted member 649710

D
This game absolutely will be viewed as the beginning of the end. A team cannot look that terribly unprepared, after a layoff, against a 2-3 opponent, on Homecoming, in year 3.

Deleted member 746094

D
Was at a bar in Lake of the Ozarks watching the Illini game with the wife celebrating anniversary. Fine mix of Iowa, Nebraska, Mizzou, Iowa State fans. Couldn’t find one impartial fan that was surprised we got dominated today. Maybe we are just that blind to how bad we actually are right now?

Deleted member 533939

D
Bush had 20 carries for 24 yards and Corbin/Epstein combined for 10 touches? That's all on the coaching staff. What's the point in not developing Rivers?

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I mentioned after the Penn State debacle that there was really no point in playing Bush since the team was not going to win more than 3 or 4 games. Play Rivers and get his development started. The only reason not to is if he is so bad that he hinders the development of the other young offensive players. I don't see much development going on.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
So many things in this game that leave a bad taste in my mouth.

1. Beckman-esque discipline and preparation
2. Total defensive inflexibility. Apparently Hardy/Lovie are going to sink with their system, despite the fact there are probably 15 teams in the league talented enough to make it work.
3. AJ Bush. Not the answer. I realize his WRs are awful, but so are his reads and his passes. He tucked way too many times.
4. Rod Smith chose a helluva day to have his first dud.
5. Nonexistent halftime adjustments. On defense, all they did was swap secondary starters for backups?!

The biggest one for me, by far, is the absolutely miserable discipline and execution. Not since Lovie has arrived has the team seemed prepared for a big game. Unreal.

SuperMetroid

Evanston
Can we just petition the Big Ten to have our conference schedule be a best-of-9 series against Rutgers from now on?

SKane

Tennessee
If you are age 30: Illinois will have 12 more football coaches during your life expectancy.

If you are age 40: Illinois will have 10 more football coaches your life expectancy.

If your are age 50: Illinois will have 8 more football coaches your life expectancy.

If you are age 60: Illinois will have 6 more football coaches your life expectancy.

If you are age 70: Illinois will have 3 more football coaches your life expectancy.

If you are a kitten: Illinois will have 3 more football coaches your life expectancy.

lol @ these people already calling Lovie a dead man coaching.

I sure am glad cooler heads than yours will prevail, if for no other reason than the buyout.

I really think Lovie does need to hire a more aggressive D Coach like Koenig. Short of that we're looking at another complete overhaul