Purdue 73, Illinois 56 POSTGAME

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Not surprised, but still disappointed. Really wanted this win to help build back some momentum before the BTT.

Good on Painter, he had good things to say about our beloved.
Victorious coaches are always more gracious about the losing team. At least, the ones with any shred of decency are (which is most of them).

I'd rather be stealing wins and having coaches say things like "give Illinois credit, but..." and then throwing shade at our future lottery pick.

Does this game change anyone's outlook of where this team will be next year?

I’ve been consistent in saying that next year we could be marginally better (around .500) with a more favorable non-conference schedule.

Like someone else mentioned, we need more than Kofi. Next years success really hinges on what kind of jumps Tev and Alan can make. We need much more dynamic play from our wings.

I think we are okay defensively when we play with energy. But offensively we are really kind of a mess. Just too many guys with too many incomplete games that make us too easy to guard. It makes running the offense a real challenge.

It was weird to see Trent coming off the bench. But when he did, he brought instant offense and energy. Maybe a good one-time move by coach.

Also, something's wrong with Ayo's jump shot. He has those ridiculous finishing moves at the rim. With a consistent jumper, he'll be a force. Next year. As an Illini.

My concern with Kofi and Giorgi is that BU will not play them at the same time. Would like to see Giorgi play some 4 this year to get a taste with adonis or Kane on the floor but BU appears reluctant for some reason. Wants them to stay out of Foul trouble, blah blah he just played kipper at the 5 for half a game. Could help in games where the other team is out rebounding us?? Get Giorgi in some smaller players for some different defensive looks???

I have no concern of this situation if it takes Giorgi away from the basket where he is a plus player on both ends and inserts a young player who does not play very hard or play defense as a plus contributor, and run his butt off every minute he is on the floor. I truly want to see if it would be a step up for this team to play them at the same time, and I don't want or expect that to happen early in the season. Kofi has talent, but that talent has to be coached up to eliminate negative play and become a plus contributor. The light will have to come on in a hurry. We do not know how Kofi will react to having to work hard and play smart. Let's hope he has the heart to do what is needed from the effort side and insight to learn to play smart at both ends. It certainly is far, far from a no brainer to play them together....and I only hope most fans understand this....and I am sure the coaches do.

Was thinking the same thing. If we lose enough games in the next 3 games finish bottom of the bigten. Then I'd be very worried. Feel like it might have washed away those 4 games. Differently would make me question where we are going. So still wait and see. Go Illini

Folks, we just might win 8 games in the Big10 this year. 9 is not out of the realm of possibility. We won 4 last year.

Last edited:
We need Kofi!
We need Kofi... And Samba... And January... And More Tevian. Those guys next year should increase our average player height by 3 inches. Give our team credit for how well they do on the boards, that hasn't been a problem during the last ten games. But that opposing team field goal percentage has been the worst that I can remember from an Illinois team during the past two years. Part of it is the style of defense, but a big part is easy buckets due to no rim protection.

I simply marvel at times, reading some of the posts. In my opinion, I think Coach Painter’s comments were spot on. (I think he probably has a little more hands-on experience in the process than most posters, including myself.) It takes time — it simply takes time.

And if you get impatient and pull the plug after 3 or 4 years, well, you can simply start over. And then very likely be in a continual process of starting over every 3 or 4 years. (After all, what halfway decent coach with other opportunities wants to walk into a rebuilding challenge with a “Sword of Damocles” hanging over his head and a potentially career damaging few year’s sojourn at Illinois ?) Yep, that’s the way to build a stable, winning culture, program and tradition.

If I recall correctly, I believe I previously posted that it took Coach Henson 6 years at Illinois to reach the NCAA tournament, for which I was rudely taken to the woodshed, because, ya know, back then it was more difficult to get into the tournament (like, it’s easier now in a conference with multiple teams in the Top 25 and playing a top 5 SOS while predominantly playing underclassmen, not to mention that we're less than 2 years into a new coaching staff). And, in any event, who waits 6 years these days ? (Such thinking reflects, in my estimation, unrealistic expectations rather than any realistic appraisal.)

As Coach Painter aptly noted, that’s what you have to be prepared to do if you truly wish to give a coaching staff sufficient time to turn a moribund program around. All you can hope for is (with allowance for occasional lapses) yearly progress — and if you see that, you stay the course.

Last edited:
Exciting and fun first half. Then with 10 minutes left, the officiating drastically changed. Calls on every possession pushed Purdue ahead and took both teams out of their rhythm. Illinois was called for standing still on defense. B10 officiating is dreadful and can suck the fun out of the games, like in the last 10 minutes tonight.

Deleted member 236589

D
It was weird to see Trent coming off the bench. But when he did, he brought instant offense and energy. Maybe a good one-time move by coach.

Also, something's wrong with Ayo's jump shot. He has those ridiculous finishing moves at the rim. With a consistent jumper, he'll be a force. Next year. As an Illini.
There is something wrong.....it's bad. From the form to the results, it's bad. He needs, at MINIMUM, one more year of college and to really round out his game, two.

Physically and emotionally, he has all the tools right now. The skillset and decision making need to be refined quite a bit. That needs to happen in college, not sitting on the bench in the NBA with an unguaranteed contract if he's drafted in the second round.

Deleted member 236589

D
Exciting and fun first half. Then with 10 minutes left, the officiating drastically changed. Calls on every possession pushed Purdue ahead and took both teams out of their rhythm. Illinois was called for standing still on defense. B10 officiating is dreadful and can suck the fun out of the games, like in the last 10 minutes tonight.
The refs were fine. They've been the excuse by some every time we lose. That's a cop out. The execution on offense and the ability to neutralize their big guy for a full 40 minutes is what led to the outcome.

I’ve been consistent in saying that next year we could be marginally better (around .500) with a more favorable non-conference schedule.

Like someone else mentioned, we need more than Kofi. Next years success really hinges on what kind of jumps Tev and Alan can make. We need much more dynamic play from our wings.

I think we are okay defensively when we play with energy. But offensively we are really kind of a mess. Just too many guys with too many incomplete games that make us too easy to guard. It makes running the offense a real challenge.
Agree with this. We need post threats. Haarms negated Giorgi. We had none. Giorgi needs to be a threat to hit 15 footer at foul line. Haarms was not even guarding him. Maybe with post threats offense would work. Taking that on faith. Rarely works today except occasional set play or if we get out on break.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Games like this are hard for me. I had little expectation of a win, but I get my hopes up when we came back to tie it at 48. Getting my hopes up makes it that much harder to take the loss than if Purdue had just gone up 9 and coasted for a win. Even though we played them tough for 30 minutes, it's a harder loss for me to accept than the alternative for some twisted reason. Really need to beat NW and IU because that game at PSU is looking tougher and tougher.

Frustrating that Tevian made a nice layup in the first half and then came right back and hit a 3. And was promptly taken out for a seat on the bench. Aaargh.
I am also frustrated that the BU offense is to run that weave every single possession for half of the shot clock. There is a cutter down the lane but no one ever even looks at him. We have too many shot clock violations not to mention the air balls.

illini80

Forgottonia
I was encouraged by our play for 3/4 of the game, but we just don’t have enough to hang with teams like Purdue on a consistent basis so i can’t feel bad about losing this one. And Purdue really played good defense in the second half. They didn’t let us get good looks at all. The next 3 will tell us a lot more about where we are than last night did. We are capable of winning out the regular season, but it won’t be easy.

You can never have enough size.
Especially when it's sitting at the end of the bench. I know we had one with a knee issue, but I see no reason not to give Samba a chance in that situation. Maybe he could of blocked a shot or changed a shot, but I do know he couldn't of done worst than Kipper trying to guard a 7'3" guy. Heck, I think Purdue scored pretty much every time towards the end of the game, so you can't use defense as an excuse for not playing him. And you can't use offence as an excuse either, because we hardly scored and Samba couldn't of done worst.

So much for wearing suits for a business trip on the road. We gave up on that program pretty fast. I actually thought it was a great idea.

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
I simply marvel at times, reading some of the posts. In my opinion, I think Coach Painter’s comments were spot on. (I think he probably has a little more hands-on experience in the process than most posters, including myself.) It takes time — it simply takes time.

And if you get impatient and pull the plug after 3 or 4 years, well, you can simply start over. And then very likely be in a continual process of starting over every 3 or 4 years. (After all, what halfway decent coach with other opportunities wants to walk into a rebuilding challenge with a “Sword of Damocles” hanging over his head and a potentially career damaging few year’s sojourn at Illinois ?) Yep, that’s the way to build a stable, winning culture, program and tradition.

If I recall correctly, I believe I previously posted that it took Coach Henson 6 years at Illinois to reach the NCAA tournament, for which I was rudely taken to the woodshed, because, ya know, back then it was more difficult to get into the tournament (like, it’s easier now in a conference with multiple teams in the Top 25 and playing a top 5 SOS while predominantly playing underclassmen, not to mention that we're less than 2 years into a new coaching staff). And, in any event, who waits 6 years these days ? (Such thinking reflects, in my estimation, unrealistic expectations rather than any realistic appraisal.)

As Coach Painter aptly noted, that’s what you have to be prepared to do if you truly wish to give a coaching staff sufficient time to turn a moribund program around. All you can hope for is (with allowance for occasional lapses) yearly progress — and if you see that, you stay the course.

I definitely see progress with our team, and believe the arrow is pointing up. That said, it would be nice if our progress followed the Matt Painter model:
>Purdue was 73-79 in the last 5 years of the Gene Keady era and made the NCAA tournament once in those last 5 years (2002-2003).
*The Illini were 95-75 in John Groce's 5 years prior to Brad Underwood's arrival, and made the NCAA tournament once (2012-2013)
>Purdue was 7-21 in Gene Keady's last year (2004-2005), when Matt Painter was named his successor and made Asst. Head Coach
*Illini were 18-14 in John Groce's last year (2016-2017).
>Matt Painter's first Purdue team was 9-19 in 2005-2006.
*BU's first Illini team was 14-18
>Matt Painter's second Purdue team was 22-12 and made the NCAA Tournament.
*BU's second Illini team is currently 10-18, looks to be headed toward a similar record as his first year, and won't be in NCAA Tournament
>Matt Painter's Purdue teams made NCAA Tournament consecutively in his 2nd thru 7th years, won the B1G Tournament in his 4th year and were the regular B1G season in his 5th year.
*BU's future beyond year two yet to be determined

APS iMBA

Urbana, IL
They may have won the game, but...

Attachments

• 52861801_613951619026364_7759741199212085248_n.jpg
    52861801_613951619026364_7759741199212085248_n.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 244
Agree with this. We need post threats. Haarms negated Giorgi. We had none. Giorgi needs to be a threat to hit 15 footer at foul line. Haarms was not even guarding him. Maybe with post threats offense would work. Taking that on faith. Rarely works today except occasional set play or if we get out on break.

That post threat will be here next year, possibly x 2/3. Jones will be a handful if he gets with the program and gets his lanky legs under him...the kid could really end up quite high in stats for a 4 year player? Griffin will be our next AJ, you can already see it, and although not uber athletic, he puts his nose in where most do not want too, so give him that.

The Sprouting Divot

Invisible and Bulletproof
Miracle Mile

Yeah, it was consistently bad for both teams, almost in runs where one side would get the benefit of the lousy calls for a while, and then the exponentially lousier makeup calls would benefit the other team, and so on. Ultimately, however, the Officiating Pendulum of Doodoo had too much momentum for us to overcome at the end of the game.