Purdue 93, Illinois 86 POSTGAME

BillyBob1

Champaign
Really felt bad when Da’Monte hurt his knee on the rebound and he went right to the locker room. Glad he was able to come back!

Thought the ref with the slick hair was terrible. He’s the one that counted the basket when Eastern was fouled, took two steps and went up with the shot and he counted the basket.

Deleted member 547530

D
50 minutes combined for Alstork, Smith, & Finke and a total of 5 points.

AJ, MS, MA, KN 58 total minutes. Combined 8 pts, 5 rebs, 2asts. Talk about getting nothing at the 2/3 spot.
LB,TF, DMW, TJL with really nice stat lines tonight. Really like the effort by most. Some just don't bring anything to the table to get us over the hump. Hopefully some much needed help is on the way for LB and TF.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 29907

D
What was the excuse for the first 25 games?

9.6 and 4.8? always having to fight taller opponents - glad the fans in the stands had class tonight to give the team kudos. Sad some on this board have issues.

Our offense has looked better each game this year. Underwood has done a great job in this area.

After watching Smith a few times last year I thought his game would be like Carsen Edwards..I still think he can come close to that level. He will have to work hard this offseason.

Team really played well and with everyone back next year should be a lot better

Loved seeing Williams have a solid game tonight. I am waiting to jump on the "Pile On Smith Bandwagon" until he at least becomes a Sophomore. Everyone sees the potential, and I think he will live up to it. The game seems to be slowing down for him. Except for the final ugly 2 minutes he played a pretty good game. Sure he didn't score much, but let's not lump him in with 2 Jr's and a Senior and pretend that they should all be at the same level of play.

Our offense has looked better each game this year. Underwood has done a great job in this area.

After watching Smith a few times last year I thought his game would be like Carsen Edwards..I still think he can come close to that level. He will have to work hard this offseason.

Smith isn't fast enough to blow by people like Edwards is. And he doesn't have enough handles or change of pace to get guys off balance yet. Tejon is really good at getting to the rim without being explosive. Working with guys like Tejon, Trent, and Ayo will help Mark Smith out a lot. Specifically, Tejon and Ayo. He can't do it on athleticism alone like he could in high school.

Oldtoysrock

Sarasota, Florida
Loved seeing Williams have a solid game tonight. I am waiting to jump on the "Pile On Smith Bandwagon" until he at least becomes a Sophomore. Everyone sees the potential, and I think he will live up to it. The game seems to be slowing down for him. Except for the final ugly 2 minutes he played a pretty good game. Sure he didn't score much, but let's not lump him in with 2 Jr's and a Senior and pretend that they should all be at the same level of play.

I love Mark Smith but get frustrated watching him dribble into the middle and get it stolen as 3 people collapse on him. I don’t think it slowed down for him tonight, I felt like he took a step backwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Once again no complaints from me other than result of score. Thought I saw some plays ran tonight that were designed to get Greg/Black into scoring position. Keep getting better and let’s win some recruiting battles!

This one of the biggest positives this year. As the year went on, they seemed to try to run the offense more rather than freelance. Sometimes when behind Frazier tries to take the team on his back. However, he would be even more effective if they stay within the offense which should happen next year when they have a year of experience and they are not playing from behind all of the time. It has been fun to watch. Certainly frustrating with close losses and near misses sometimes caused by unexplainable lapses. They play great for stretches and then have a long offensive drought or make a couple of bad plays which put them in a hole. Hopefully not next year.

Last edited:
9.6 and 4.8? always having to fight taller opponents - glad the fans in the stands had class tonight to give the team kudos. Sad some on this board have issues.

I think it was just his way of saying Finke isn’t a B1G caliber player, which is true. He does seem to play with a little more effort and enthusiasm this year though.

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]YnoM4zxvCTs[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]YkDH8CeEIUc[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]QWvpydK2if8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]GBX101sZuA8[/YOUTUBE]

Deleted member 4960

D
This baloney about Finke not being a big caliber player is just crap. You people think that just because he is 6-10 he should be able to play like a center. Sorry he was recruited as a stretch four and that's what he is. I would say play has improved inside it's just his 3 pt shots aren't falling like the past. Probably because he's playing out of position because of recruiting misses. Finke fine and he had an ok night considering he sat out 4 games. He passed up a shot he should have taken.

The thing that ticks me off about tonight is the foul disparity. I'm sorry but we get called for stuff that other teams don't. Shouldn't be a 20 foul shot discrepancy at our place. We get no respect that other teams do when we drive to the basket.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.

Those certainly are numbers. What are they supposed to represent?

In Big 10 games he has averaged 5.9 points and 3.0 rebounds per game.

But he’s only 6’10”, so...

Mark Smith's shot at halftime is one reason why I want to get rid of video replay in basketball. Just play, and call 'em like you see 'em. Next on my list is football, reviewing every dang thing.

Noticed by almost everyone in my section was the fact that there were probably 500 plus Purdue fans in attendance.

Until the last 30 seconds of the game you would have guessed there were 10. Our fight and competitiveness really took them out of the game, that was a quiet bunch.

Even though we lost tonight, I really enjoyed the game and the fight that the Illini displayed. I was really pleased to see Damonte step up- he had an all around good game. Tejon had a great game, Leron was in beast mode and Trent just amazes me with his overall game- he is going to do some phenomenal things for the Illini, when it's all said and done.

This baloney about Finke not being a big caliber player is just crap. You people think that just because he is 6-10 he should be able to play like a center. Sorry he was recruited as a stretch four and that's what he is. I would say play has improved inside it's just his 3 pt shots aren't falling like the past. Probably because he's playing out of position because of recruiting misses. Finke fine and he had an ok night considering he sat out 4 games. He passed up a shot he should have taken.

The thing that ticks me off about tonight is the foul disparity. I'm sorry but we get called for stuff that other teams don't. Shouldn't be a 20 foul shot discrepancy at our place. We get no respect that other teams do when we drive to the basket.

Being a stretch 4 doesn’t dismiss him from being too slow of foot to defend, have little to no post moves, can’t make quick decisions in a pinch post, and can’t rebound.
If all a strech 4’s responsibility is being able to shoot a 3, then i guess he’s great... sometimes.

Just because he’s not BIG caliber doesn’t mean he couldn’t tear it up for a mid major, because i think he definitely could.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Last year, with a better record and MH to watch I still stopped watching by this point of the season. This team plays like I want an Illinois team to play, except for the end result.

Amen to that...and it's been a while

Tacomallini

Washington State

Agreed. Nice to see some alley oops finally going down for us the past couple games too.