Purdue 93, Illinois 86 POSTGAME

As much as Trent Frazier has been a great addition this season and has a lot of growth ahead, the player I've enjoyed the most this year is Leron Black. You could see the light bulb going off in his head the last ten games or so last season and he took a big leap this year. His outside shooting and free throws have improved tremendously, and his inside game has gotten even better. He has a chance to be a first team all Big-Ten next year if he is consistent and cuts down on his fouls.

Black has been fun to watch. He's sooo good when he gets position, and he's been able to take advantage of 1 on 1 plays. Didn't realize he was over 50% from the arc, but hell yeah.

I LOVE seeing guys who play within themselves. I think it's really fundamental to playing efficiently, which is what usually wins games. I'm ok with a guy like Trent being forced into tough shots, because you have to have someone on the team like that. Besides, he's been really good, making a lot of them despite not always having a good look, and he has a PG sense of the clock, passing, and overall urgency.

Yep. They closed us out, but we didn't roll over, and we did a number of things well. We still make a lot of mistakes, which worries me, but the overall product is looking better.

About 41% of our minutes last night were from freshmen. You have to expect that from kids, don't ya Calvin?

Very unimpressed with Haas and Haarms. Not the type of big men we need.

They would have been much more of a factor if their 3's were not falling & of course, Edwards not dropping 40 pts.

BlindLoyalty

FartNoiseMotivation
If Leron isn't mentioned in post-season honors, there ain't no justice. Honorable mention? Phooey! Likewise Trent: freshman of the year? What's his competition?
Seriously, I don't follow all freshmen in the Big 10. Does Trent have a chance?

Jaren Jackson should be the unanimous pick for FOY in the B10. His greatness gets overlooked b/c he plays on a great team with other elite players. Frazier had a great season, Jackson is on another level.

Game changer on defense, #3 in nation in total blocks, #2 in nation in block efficiency, #4 in nation in defensive rating, 20th in nation in player efficiency, #7 in nation in win shares per 40 and #1 in the nation for box plus/minus.

Jaren Jackson should be the unanimous pick for FOY in the B10. His greatness gets overlooked b/c he plays on a great team with other elite players. Frazier had a great season, Jackson is on another level.

Game changer on defense, #3 in nation in total blocks, #2 in nation in block efficiency, #4 in nation in defensive rating, 20th in nation in player efficiency, #7 in nation in win shares per 40 and #1 in the nation for box plus/minus.

As for for Jackson, it's so much easier to do all of this when you have so much talent surrounding you. Yes, Jackson is on the scouting report with three or four guys. Yes, he will get the award and is deserving. But with Trent, he is doing all of his stuff with nothing much around him and he is a key focus on the scouting report, making it harder to be successful.

All Big Ten Freshman probably goes:

Jaren Jackson-FOY
Trent Frazier
Bruno Fernando
Kaleb Wesson
Luke Garza

6th man--Geo Baker

That's the problem guards and wings should not be on a big man developmental curve. I agree big men can take a few years to be productive because of the physicality of the position and having to grow their basketball bodies and develop low post skills at P5 level. Guards and wings should come to college much more body and skill ready to play at the P5 level. MS is on a Mav learning curve and that should never be the case with a guard/wing. Example 1 - see TF

You are right that guards generally develop quicker than bigs. But guards should never start out slow? Do you even watch college basketball? Have you heard of a guy named Keita Bates-Diop? One of thousands of examples of freshman guards being non-existent and making huge improvements.

Deleted member 547530

D
You are right that guards generally develop quicker than bigs. But guards should never start out slow? Do you even watch college basketball? Have you heard of a guy named Keita Bates-Diop? One of thousands of examples of freshman guards being non-existent and making huge improvements.

Why yes I do, since before Thad Matta was a Cornjerker at Hoopston-East Lynn (and yes I know he is no longer he coach at the OSU). I have actually played basketball too. I have seen every UI game this year and for lots of years. I have seen a lot of other college games for lots of years. You and I disagree about the development of MS - nice. I hope MS turns in to KBD but I wouldn't bet my beach house on it.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Why yes I do, since before Thad Matta was a Cornjerker at Hoopston-East Lynn (and yes I know he is no longer he coach at the OSU). I have actually played basketball too. I have seen every UI game this year and for lots of years. I have seen a lot of other college games for lots of years. You and I disagree about the development of MS - nice. I hope MS turns in to KBD but I wouldn't bet my beach house on it.

I forgot Matta was from Hoopeston. I probably played against him in Jr. High.