Rams leave St Louis for LA

I'm from the area, but I really did not care about this one iota. Kronke cares about 1 thing and it isn't wins. As long as he was the owner there wasn't going to be a football team worth watching in stl. I really have soured on the NFL as a whole over the past few years anyway, I honestly haven't watched more than an hour in total combined of NFL football all year. On top of all of that I really didn't think it was fair to burden the tax payers with another stadium for this terrible team when there's still 6 years worth of payments due on the old one.

All that being said, the way this whole situation has been handled by both Kronke and the NFL has been absolute bs from the start. St. Louis really got the shaft on the whole deal. So much time and taxpayer money (millions) was wasted trying to do everything they could to meet all the demands and keep the team, whether it was recent updates in the dome, or paying the various people involved in the new stadium development. In the end, not only did it not matter, it was never going to matter, and the NFL just set back and let it happen, when all they were ever going to do anyway was whatever was more profitable. Everybody has known all along that that means move to LA. They pretty much just strung the city and fans along for 2 years, then gave em a swift kick in the gonads.

unimaroon

Baja Ontario
I liked how Stan noted he is the real victim here. Self pity rationalizations from billionaires are so au courant.

This is my second year following Liverpool in the English Premier League and I find I am much more interested in EPL than NFL. I still have a ton to learn but the game is great. I watch the NFL without sound usually after the EPL games just to have the background stuff on. Old dog learning new trick - I'm a rebel.

I liked how Stan noted he is the real victim here. Self pity rationalizations from billionaires are so au courant.

This is my second year following Liverpool in the English Premier League and I find I am much more interested in EPL than NFL. I still have a ton to learn but the game is great. I watch the NFL without sound usually after the EPL games just to have the background stuff on. Old dog learning new trick - I'm a rebel.

I love the Bears but the EPL is even starting to take up more of my sports time than college basketball. The shorter games and mornings help but the narrative and drama is second to none.(sorry this didn't really relate to the thread it was just a response)

Looking at which television markets have teams and not, and assuming the following:

- The NFL wants two teams in LA.
- For a variety of historical and political reasons, Green Bay and New Orleans aren't going anywhere despite the small sizes of their markets.
- The relatively large markets of Columbus and Orlando are covered by Cincinnati and Cleveland, and Tampa and Jacksonville, respectively, and don't need teams. Similarly Sacramento, Milwaukee, and Hartford/New Haven are close enough to teams, not to move one there.

Then one of Oakland or Buffalo should be moved to LA, and the other should be moved to Portland or St. Louis.

St. Louis is a bit larger television market, but Portland is growing much faster and will probably become the larger market sometime in the next decade.

If the NFL does that, then 33 of the largest 35 tv markets will be covered, leaving only St Louis/Portland and Salt Lake City.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Ok, didn't the Rams originally leave L.A. because of fan apathy? And that won't happen again because of what exactly?

LA fans can say all they want that the Rams are "home where they belong" but one thing that is certainly not where it belongs is that Lombardi trophy, which was won in St. Louis.

Ok, didn't the Rams originally leave L.A. because of fan apathy? And that won't happen again because of what exactly?

I don't know what the situation was like out there when they moved, but the rams owner at the time was from stl, so I'm sure that factored into it. I think the comissioner wasn't too keen about the move at the time either, but that's all hearsay

UIUC1867

Christian County, IL
Question: Do you think that St. Louis will ever get another NFL team?

Shad has already come out and said the Jags arent going anywhere. He is currently investing in upgrades to the Jacksonville stadium.

simpsons-sarcasm-detector-broken-o.gif

Shane Walsh

aka "Captain Oblivious"
Cynthiana, Kentucky
The Lou will certainly be mentioned by teams seeking new stadiums or upgrades. This will provide the leverage an NFL owner needs now that leaving for LA cannot provide it. Not sure what organization would want to actually make the move though. There is too much incentive for Oakland to stay put with the league wanting 2 bay area teams, even with their stadium issues.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
It'll be a generation or two before St. Louis even considers putting any public money in towards a stadium for an NFL team. After being given the run around after making a viable stadium plan it's left a bad taste in the mouths of regional leaders.

FanUND

The Bend: South Bend, Indiana
It's notable that LA was not the Rams' original city -- Cleveland was. Of course they spent so many years in LA, that's now sort of irrelevant.

So now according to some reports, the Chargers or the Raiders will become the second team to move to LA. If it's the Raiders, it will be "been there, done that."

The NFL also has London, England in its longterm plans. London Jags?

bdutts

Houston, Texas

You can bank on it happening, although not sure about the Jags. But they will get a team in the not too distant future and based on what I see over here, should be extremely successful.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
It's notable that LA was not the Rams' original city -- Cleveland was. Of course they spent so many years in LA, that's now sort of irrelevant.

So now according to some reports, the Chargers or the Raiders will become the second team to move to LA. If it's the Raiders, it will be "been there, done that."

And the Chargers, at least to a tiny extent. They started as the Los Angeles Chargers in 1960 before moving to San Diego in 1961.

Fillory

4th Floor Grainger

I highly doubt it.

But at the same time, I can't picture San Antonio getting approval from the NFL owners, as two of the most powerful owners own Texas teams.

Deleted member 3875

D
It's over. Shut it down. Move on with an MLS acquisition.