Rare corpse flower about to bloom at U of I greenhouse

Live corpse flower video:
http://flash.atlas.illinois.edu/video.html?player=TITAN

Rare 'corpse flower' about to bloom at U. of I. greenhouse

A rare tropical plant indigenous to the rainforests of Sumatra, Indonesia, is about to blossom in Central Illinois. An exotic titan arum, also called the "corpse flower" (Bunga Bankai) for the rotting-meat odor that the plant emits, is displaying characteristic signs that it is about to bloom, according to Debbie Black, the manager of the Plant Biology greenhouse on the University of Illinois campus where the plant was grown.

news.illinois.edu

The camera never lies
Champaign
I watched the video for 5 minutes and for 5 minutes nothing happened. I'll just wait for the replay.:popcorn:

IT'S STARTING TO BLOOM!!!

Hours to go see it:

Friday (today) until 9 PM
Saturday 10AM till 9 PM
Sunday 11 AM till 5 PM

Smell will be the strongest tonight apparently, but still very strong tomorrow. Better go see it this weekend, because by Monday it will be fading.

The camera never lies
Champaign
haha watching the streaming video, everyone is walking up and smelling it! Why? If it smells like a dead animal why would you want to smell it?

I'm not a flower person, so what's the deal about this flower?
Here's the original UI press release, gives some more info on it:

http://news.illinois.edu/news/11/0707corpseflower.html

haha watching the streaming video, everyone is walking up and smelling it! Why? If it smells like a dead animal why would you want to smell it?
Because it's pretty unique. No other flowers have such a foul stench!! It actually heats up to mimic a mammal's body temperature, too.

I think it probably fooled the staff. It bloomed ~11 PM Saturday night when no visitors were there to see. It didn't open up fully and was nearly completely closed again by Sunday afternoon. By then the stalk had begun to shrivel, which considering the shape and size seemed inevitable. It had very little odor which was why people were seen sniffing on the webcam, having been warned to expect something foul.

It was an interesting dud. We spent more time checking out other plants and trees in the tropical greenhouse and then the adjoining greenhouses: succulents, ferns, cacti, carnivorous, cash crop, orchids, etc. The program has no funding and relies on donations, so we stuffed their plexiglass box with green and left.

Once again the Ohio State University has to follow in our footsteps.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A rare rain forest plant that's known as a "corpse flower" is almost ready to make its presence known at a greenhouse on the Ohio State University campus.

The 5-foot tall plant that smells like rotting flesh is expected to bloom in the next few days.