Redbox Bowl Game Thread: Illinois vs Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadman

Herndon, VA
A TO would have been nice at this time in the game, but then, well, wait til next year...

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
i guess it wouldn't have mattered if it was actually targeting or not. if they overturned it, they would've just added an unnecessary roughness penalty or something else random a la the MSU game.

This. WTF.

Actually that’s a great, new idea. I’m 100% serious. If the defender can’t lower a shoulder, then two hands on a “defenseless receiver” should constitute a tackle and the offensive player is ruled down at the spot.

I’m sick of these scenarios where even the rules experts - with the benefit of slow motion replay - can’t agree definitively on the call.

The targeting call certainly does need to be looked at as far as consistency goes, but it’s also a necessary addition to the game. Sorry, but I’m not sorry that we’re trying to make the game safer. When that receiver is in that position, there are plenty of other ways to knock him down. Perhaps if the defense tried harder to defend passes, get in proper position, read offensive play designs, etc... they wouldn’t constantly be worried about trying to kill a guy when they tackle.

well how about a couple runs and then some comedy on 3rd down? sorry, just venting. let's get back to the recruiting thread!!!

The targeting call certainly does need to be looked at as far as consistency goes, but it’s also a necessary addition to the game. Sorry, but I’m not sorry that we’re trying to make the game safer. When that receiver is in that position, there are plenty of other ways to knock him down. Perhaps if the defense tried harder to defend passes, get in proper position, read offensive play designs, etc... they wouldn’t constantly be worried about trying to kill a guy when they tackle.

Very well said.

It’s also generally a result of poor tackling technique. Of course, this is never mentioned by fans.

My original goal for this year was to get to a bowl game, next year stay healthy and get 7 regulas season wins and a bowl win. This hurts but in the overall picture we have moved the can lets see if we can take the next step

Let's play it out and try to score.

I'm proud the team made a bowl, unhappy much of our talent can't play today, and disappointed in the score.

The refs don’t need to help Cal
They have helped Cal all day. The Illini have 4 pass interference calls when Cal should have about twenty for example. The DB's are playing like they didn't get sleep last night. The Cal qb is not that good. The Illini DB's and refs are making him look like Drew Brees.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Just a bad half on both sides of the football, with refs not doing us any favors. It's like we're always playing against a stacked deck.

Getting away from us, that targeting call didn't help. Don't agree with the ejection, at this point I guess it is all mute.

The QB should not put his receiver in the position to be targeted. It used to be the QB responsibility. Now the rules say the defense is responsible. Brass backwards.

Deleted member 656517

D
Wouldve been interesting if we didn’t give up on the pass game so early

Peters flinging the ball around the field. Were as that been all day? Nice TD Run to end it. Do we have another MSU game in the works?

Status
Not open for further replies.