Redbox Bowl Pregame: Illinois vs Cal, Monday, December 30th, 3:00pm CT, FOX

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bowl game is a great end to this season so I won't complain much but it would sure be nice to play in an actual neutral site bowl game. We gave LSU a home game in the Sugar Bowl, USC a home game in the Rose Bowl, Baylor a home game in the Texas Bowl, etc. now Cal a home game in this bowl.
There will never be a bowl game in Champaign

There will never be a bowl game in Champaign

1575866616393.png

Deleted member 654622

D
Reporter: Would you like to continue to coach the defense?
Lovie: That kind of sounds like I need permission.

NO IT DOENST LOVIE. Stop being so damn sensitive!

I personally liked the question about Miles, I mean it was veiled as a question about the whole coaching staff, but it was about Miles.

Neale Stoner Fan Club

Tailgreat
Chiraq
I am looking forward to attending the bowl game. It beats the alternative. Cal has a very good LB, Evan Weaver. Need to win the turnover battle as always.

Is this a real bowl game for a team that is not that far away. It isn't like Cal going to FL or even NY. It is an experience for the Orange and Blue. We are on their soil. Go and win this game will give a good jump on 2020 spring ball to the first game.

Can we turn cal over?

It will be very difficult, especially with Garbers back. That offense is talent deficient almost across the board and as such, Justin Wilcox and Beau Baldwin call a very risk averse ball game. They don't have nearly the same caliber of athlete as Iowa but this game will have that feel.

Can we turn cal over?

They haven't had many turnovers this year. They only lost 4 fumbles all year and 3 of those were in their opener. They had 9 Ints, but 6 of those were by backup QBs. Their offense isn't great, but it really isn't as terrible as people think. They struggled in the middle of the season when Garbers was hurt, going 1-5 in the 5 and half games he missed. In games he started they were 6-0 and averaged 25 ppg. They weren't playing juggernauts in those games, but 4 of them (Washington, Ole Miss, Stanford and UCLA) were on the road.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
It will be very difficult, especially with Garbers back. That offense is talent deficient almost across the board and as such, Justin Wilcox and Beau Baldwin call a very risk averse ball game. They don't have nearly the same caliber of athlete as Iowa but this game will have that feel.
If we play them like we did Iowa with a higher assortment of healthy players (I assume Hansen will be available, as will Imatorbhebe, and hopefully Peters?), then we should beat them. It seems like Cal is honestly just the right level of opponent for us given most of us feel it can go either way and we know we'll have to bring a better than average gameplan and effort to beat them.

If we play them like we did Iowa with a higher assortment of healthy players (I assume Hansen will be available, as will Imatorbhebe, and hopefully Peters?), then we should beat them. It seems like Cal is honestly just the right level of opponent for us given most of us feel it can go either way and we know we'll have to bring a better than average gameplan and effort to beat them.

If Brandon plays the way he did against Iowa, we will struggle to be there at the end and that's going to be a chore. Cal is very dangerous defensively.

That's a crappy move. Won't affect the game much, unfortunately.

Crappy move for Baldwin or for Cal Poly or the timing? On surface it appears to be a bad move for Baldwin, but I think he had to get out of Cal. He was considered an offensive innovator when he took job and I don't think Wilcox is letting him run the offense he'd like. I actually think his reputation has taken a hit since moving to Cal and not sure that wouldn't continue. I saw rumors that Colorado St. was interested in him and that would seem like a better move, but I think he just had to get out of there and try to build up his reputation again. But certainly a step back going to conference he was HC in prior to going to Cal.

Crappy move for Baldwin or for Cal Poly or the timing? On surface it appears to be a bad move for Baldwin, but I think he had to get out of Cal. He was considered an offensive innovator when he took job and I don't think Wilcox is letting him run the offense he'd like. I actually think his reputation has taken a hit since moving to Cal and not sure that wouldn't continue. I saw rumors that Colorado St. was interested in him and that would seem like a better move, but I think he just had to get out of there and try to build up his reputation again. But certainly a step back going to conference he was HC in prior to going to Cal.

I was thinking for Baldwin but I need to back off of that. I clearly don't know the circumstances and you make good points, he may not be happy as a handcuffed OC.

At first glance though, it didn't seem to add up. If he wanted a HC job that badly he should have stayed at Eastern where he had a ton of success, was well compensated (250K base at the FCS level is big money) and highly secure in his position.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA

Interesting matchup next year: Cal Poly is scheduled to play at Cal on September 12.

Stat wise we match up well with Cal. Turnovers will be the deciding factor. Can we turn over Cal? That's the big question.

I was thinking for Baldwin but I need to back off of that. I clearly don't know the circumstances and you make good points, he may not be happy as a handcuffed OC.

At first glance though, it didn't seem to add up. If he wanted a HC job that badly he should have stayed at Eastern where he had a ton of success, was well compensated (250K base at the FCS level is big money) and highly secure in his position.

I'm guessing he wasn't getting much in the way off offers for FBS HC job even with the great success he had at E. Washington (playoffs in 6 of 9 years, a national championship and never finished under .500) because he hadn't coached (or even played) at FBS level. So he figured go be successful OC in FBS and then get calls for FBS HC job. Unfortunately didn't work that way. So now I'm guessing he feels if he can go to Cal Poly and turn that program around that it will help put the shine back on him and he'll have that time at FBS school on his resume.

I'm guessing he wasn't getting much in the way off offers for FBS HC job even with the great success he had at E. Washington (playoffs in 6 of 9 years, a national championship and never finished under .500) because he hadn't coached (or even played) at FBS level. So he figured go be successful OC in FBS and then get calls for FBS HC job. Unfortunately didn't work that way. So now I'm guessing he feels if he can go to Cal Poly and turn that program around that it will help put the shine back on him and he'll have that time at FBS school on his resume.

That might be the correct analysis but it's hard to say. He almost got the Oregon State job. Someone said CSU is sniffing around, UNLV would be a spot. There might be options out there but as you stated, there may also not.

Moot either I guess, he's taking the Poly job.

Nice location for a minor bowl...would think players would prefer Cali to a number of the other potential locations. Interesting to see if Cal has much support...I know it's very close but Cal fans seem blase.

Cal fan here. I expect a large cal contingent. just too easy for people to attend.

They haven't had many turnovers this year. They only lost 4 fumbles all year and 3 of those were in their opener. They had 9 Ints, but 6 of those were by backup QBs. Their offense isn't great, but it really isn't as terrible as people think. They struggled in the middle of the season when Garbers was hurt, going 1-5 in the 5 and half games he missed. In games he started they were 6-0 and averaged 25 ppg. They weren't playing juggernauts in those games, but 4 of them (Washington, Ole Miss, Stanford and UCLA) were on the road.

yeah with garbers the offense looks a lot better. or at least it did after the first couple of games where he didn't look very good. I imagine cal will score some points. turnovers for offense haven't been a huge issue this year. the D is good, but has shown some cracks against big physical WRers. should be a fun game.

That might be the correct analysis but it's hard to say. He almost got the Oregon State job. Someone said CSU is sniffing around, UNLV would be a spot. There might be options out there but as you stated, there may also not.

Moot either I guess, he's taking the Poly job.

hard to hire a guy who has been that bad as a power 5 OC as a head coach for a FBS job.

Status
Not open for further replies.