Redbox Bowl Pregame: Illinois vs Cal, Monday, December 30th, 3:00pm CT, FOX

Status
Not open for further replies.
That might be the correct analysis but it's hard to say. He almost got the Oregon State job. Someone said CSU is sniffing around, UNLV would be a spot. There might be options out there but as you stated, there may also not.

Moot either I guess, he's taking the Poly job.
Not official until a signed contract. I'm not sure how interested CSU is, though I did see a report there was interest. That would certainly seem like a better job. Were in a bowl 2 years ago (the fifth year in a row). As to him almost getting the Oregon St. job, he was in the running but not sure how close it really was. I remember Football Scoop reported he would be named HC, but OSU came out almost immediately and said he had not been offered the job and they hired J. Smith a few days later.

hard to hire a guy who has been that bad as a power 5 OC as a head coach for a FBS job.

It's actually quite easy. Jake Spavital couldn't coordinate his way out of a paper bag and got the TSU job. It happens all the time, every cycle.

Not official until a signed contract. I'm not sure how interested CSU is, though I did see a report there was interest. That would certainly seem like a better job. Were in a bowl 2 years ago (the fifth year in a row). As to him almost getting the Oregon St. job, he was in the running but not sure how close it really was. I remember Football Scoop reported he would be named HC, but OSU came out almost immediately and said he had not been offered the job and they hired J. Smith a few days later.

Hm, I don't remember that report specifically (I don't like Scoop much) but I know that school was down to 3 names and Baldwin was one. That seems pretty close, in my view. Of course, that was a cycle ago. I'm purely speculating as to how he'd be viewed currently.

It's actually quite easy. Jake Spavital couldn't coordinate his way out of a paper bag and got the TSU job. It happens all the time, every cycle.

spavital was a very good OC and recruiter who had multiple top 20 power 5 offenses. comparing him to baldwin is laughable.

baldwin was never getting that job over smith and rightfully so.

I've known Jake and Zac for over a decade. I know what they can and can't do.

the stats speak for themselves. baldwin had 3 straight years of offenses ranked in the 100s at Cal. Spavital may not be Lincoln Riley, but he always had productive offenses and was a good recruiter, while baldwin is a lousy recruiter.

I really like your input but your avatar is beyond creepy.
I agree! First time i saw that I was reminded of a character in a children's show but I can't recall which one. Teletubbies is close, but that's not it... Some dude in overalls and a red hat maybe I think, that I always thought was weird/creepy.....

I don't think Oski looks creepy it's just a cartoonish rendering of a very majestic creature which is par for the course for mascots.

I was thinking for Baldwin but I need to back off of that. I clearly don't know the circumstances and you make good points, he may not be happy as a handcuffed OC.

At first glance though, it didn't seem to add up. If he wanted a HC job that badly he should have stayed at Eastern where he had a ton of success, was well compensated (250K base at the FCS level is big money) and highly secure in his position.

My daughter goes to Cal Poly. According to her pretty much all sports are ignored by the majority of the student body. CP isn't good at anything other than baseball and men's golf, IIRC.

It is the Bay Area, but still v high...

Santa Clara is only a 4 hour drive for me so no flight. Hopefully can get a reasonable hotel room. I'm trying to get the "good tickets" through the university. Might be able to do the whole thing for me and the wife for under $750.

My daughter goes to Cal Poly. According to her pretty much all sports are ignored by the majority of the student body. CP isn't good at anything other than baseball and men's golf, IIRC.

wilcox told him to find another job. that's the only rational explanation for taking that job. eastern washington was a far better job than cal poly.

Santa Clara is only a 4 hour drive for me so no flight. Hopefully can get a reasonable hotel room. I'm trying to get the "good tickets" through the university. Might be able to do the whole thing for me and the wife for under $750.

look into downtown san jose. lots of stuff within walking distance and cheaper hotels than san francisco. also much easier to get to the game. i bet you can get better tickets through stubhub if you wait a week or two than you can get through your ticket office. or at least cheaper. there are "family" tickets on the redbox bowl site for $23 all in. Endzone, but bottom level. Indicates to me they aren't expecting much of a crowd.

I just read the "Cal" fan base comments on the botched merch for the bowl. Wow. I thought we had issues with all the wierdness around our mascot errr no mascot.
Half of them can't agree on what to call themselves and a simple logo. No wonder Ridbox :) got it wrong.
Thank you California school system for making me feel better about the Illini.

I just read the "Cal" fan base comments on the botched merch for the bowl. Wow. I thought we had issues with all the wierdness around our mascot errr no mascot.
Half of them can't agree on what to call themselves and a simple logo. No wonder Ridbox :) got it wrong.
Thank you California school system for making me feel better about the Illini.

in the 70s the other UC campuses demanded equal treatment to cal wanting to use our prestige to make their lessor campuses more important and that's why the UC regrents made Cal started referring to itself as UC berkeley or Berkeley. It's an abomination. There is only one university of california or Cal.

Last edited:

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
I've heard some people argue that "Berkeley" or "UC Berkeley" is for academics and "Cal" is for athletics.

Reminds me of this:
uofi.png

Which, unfortunately, often creates widespread self-inflicted confusion.

Anybody seen a long sleeve Redbox bowl shirt in orange?

So with Cal OC leaving the program and a former badger as HC does that mean their offense gets even more conservative? Or are we now playing a wild card?

Status
Not open for further replies.