Redbox Bowl Pregame: Illinois vs Cal, Monday, December 30th, 3:00pm CT, FOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
So Cal is 12-2 in their last 14 games when their starting QB healthy, as he apparently will be for the bowl game. I was feeling pretty good about this game before I heard that. They also had a number of starting O-line guys out. Not sure how many of those will be back.

Pretty sure it was his second this year. Considering his importance for next year's success, I would be as precautionary as possible
Well, we need to be as precautionary as necessary for Brandon's health. That takes priority over everything. Which of course you know.

And length of concussion protocol isn't based just on time but also actual healing, as determined by various tests. My wife was on university faculty and she had student athletes who were on extended concussion protocol, which not only affects their playing but also affects things like reading, computer screen usage. It's not a sprained ankle.

So Cal is 12-2 in their last 14 games when their starting QB healthy, as he apparently will be for the bowl game. I was feeling pretty good about this game before I heard that. They also had a number of starting O-line guys out. Not sure how many of those will be back.

Jonesing for this kind of info. I am to far away from the teams to know about matchups. Wish someone would line up strengths and weaknesses. I saw somewhere that we have a much better special teams unit? Mostly wondering about how we defend and if Peters will be 100%

some of that is opponent based. just coincidentally garbers missed many of the better opponents on the schedule and last year garbers was benched for a qb who turned it over a couple of times every game, but Cal this year is much better offensively with garbers at qb. the offense goes from awful/nonexistent, to passable/ok. oline should be fairly healthy for the bowl game.

some of that is opponent based. just coincidentally garbers missed many of the better opponents on the schedule and last year garbers was benched for a qb who turned it over a couple of times every game, but Cal this year is much better offensively with garbers at qb. the offense goes from awful/nonexistent, to passable/ok. oline should be fairly healthy for the bowl game.
Lets get it on

I don't think we are going to be all too healthy for the game. Heard Peters is questionable and saw Bhebe limping at a bball game. Hope I am wrong.

illini80

Forgottonia
I don't think we are going to be all too healthy for the game. Heard Peters is questionable and saw Bhebe limping at a bball game. Hope I am wrong.
I’ve heard that, but don’t even know what bhebe’s injury was. It would be what, 6 weeks for both those guys? Any of the defensive guys expected back?

Congratulations to Ethan. We don’t realize what goes into that position. Have to give coach Ligs a lot of credit.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Yes congrats to Ethan. Awesome accomplishment and always great to have one of our own winning these kind of awards. Note that pretty much all of our special teams are excellent so Coach Ligs must be doing something right. Hope he sticks around for a long time.

He said 'Back to back" ? Wow, consecutive awards. Playing on Sundays maybe?

holmerica

Madison, WI
lovieclaus.jpg

Seasons Greetings from Lovie Claus.
Here's hoping for the W.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I just don't have any confidence that our D will be able to stop Cal, or any one else we could have played in a bowl game.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Bowl games can be hard to call. This one certainly is. I can see the full range of outcomes here but hopefully it ends up with a big win for us. It would be great to cap the season on a high note heading into 2020.

illini80

Forgottonia
Stop, probably not. Turnover, probably. It's all about the TOs.
Hope so, but Garbers has 3 INT’s in his 8 games and they lost 7 fumbles on the season. We really need Hansen, but it doesn’t sound likely.

Merry Christmas to all the Illinois football fans. Best wishes to the Team for safe travel and a successful result at the Red Box Bowl!

Status
Not open for further replies.