Redbox Bowl Pregame: Illinois vs Cal, Monday, December 30th, 3:00pm CT, FOX

Status
Not open for further replies.
233517BB-2DA9-43BB-8C8F-4C378472A3E2.png

None of these things happened all season. Why would we all of the sudden be able to execute this?
You are right about it has not happened before this season, but I can DREAM that the coaching staff figures it out and does the right thing. A bowl win will do wonders for this team.Maybe they read this post. 😁
Ok not likely.

More concerning is the idea that this person doesn’t seem to understand what California’s staff does defensively. This isn’t Erik Chinander you’re facing here. If you think an incredibly raw, true freshman RPO kid in a one-read offense is going to “frustrate” or “confuse” Justin Wilcox, you will be very disappointed.
I think the Illini OC will frustrate and defeat Cal if they don't play conservative and predictable. I watched a freshman one read, run first quarterback from Arizona do just that against Cal a couple years back. That qb was not nearly as good a passer as IW. Cal fans certainly remember Khalil Tate. Tate passed for over 160 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 137 yards and a touchdown. He totally confused and defeated Cal. I watched the game, but perhaps Cal has a new coach, because the coach in 2017 was dazed, confused and ultimately defeated. Btw Rod Smith was the OC that year.

I think the Illini OC will frustrate and defeat Cal if they don't play conservative and predictable. I watched a freshman one read, run first quarterback from Arizona do just that against Cal a couple years back. That qb was not nearly as good a passer as IW. Cal fans certainly remember Khalil Tate. Tate passed for over 160 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 137 yards and a touchdown. He totally confused and defeated Cal. I watched the game, but perhaps Cal has a new coach, because the coach in 2017 was dazed, confused and ultimately defeated. Btw Rod Smith was the OC that year.
I don't think we will see much of IW since Peters is clear to go

BZuppke

Plainfield
We need to hit Cal’s QB legally but hard and often. Put him on the run and their offense disappears.

We need to hit Cal’s QB legally but hard and often. Put him on the run and their offense disappears.

Garbers is actually pretty good when he can navigate the pocket, they get him out on the move quite a bit and he's legitimately sound at keeping his eyes down the field and allowing the play to develop when doing so but only if he's moving forward or to his right, the minute he steps backwards his mechanics disappear. He ends up having a lot of his balls disrupted at the LOS when he goes backwards. You definitely want to hit him but the big key is to keep him in the pocket without forward movement.

Watched 4 Cal games the last week or so (One of which was ASU which Garbers left early) in between the craziness, I came away feeling fairly sympathetic towards their fan base which I didn't think would occur. I don't mean this in any demeaning way whatsoever (If there's anyone who can say they know the feeling it's an Illini fan) but boy is that offense void of talent. In all seriousness, there are 3-4 players by my count that are good enough to play for us. That's it. Any and all criticism levied towards Beau Baldwin (Who's calling plays Monday, anyone heard?) and his offensive staff for their recruiting efforts is 100% warranted. They are not playing with a full deck and it limits what they can consistently execute on gameday. THAT SAID, they are also incredibly vanilla and are, by my view, misusing one of the few players that could play for us. I don't do the West Coast and as such I'd never heard of the kid but they have a little guy (He's listed at 5'10" but looks closer to 5'9") named Remigio, #4, that pops on tape (I don't have the Stanford game so it wasn't a part of my evaluation but he apparently went bonkers in that one, like 8 catches for 160 yards or something crazy) but they use him like your old, traditional possession type "Z' which makes essentially zero sense. They should be feeding that kid the ball in space as much as possible and merely supplementing his usage vertically, much like the way Jeff Brohm uses Rondale Moore. To that example, if this kid played for Purdue everyone on this board would likely know him by name but because of the way Baldwin used him this season, I'd never heard of him until I dug into the tape. They mix in a few choreographed outs, they try this interesting variation of a stick a couple times a game and they will do some RPO stuff but it's more or less a simple WCO by design. A lot of short stuff and flat work to get away from the run game. Very bland.

Defensively, they are as advertised. Still not the type of talent there that we would typically see from teams like Wisconsin or Michigan but they have a number of kids who can play and they are EXTREMELY well coached. The classic "Don't do the big things but do all the little things" type unit. They tackle really well, they flow to the football and they definitely understand what they're trying to do design wise. I watched the kid Weaver very intently and i chartered 5 plays (In 4 complete games) where I felt he was out of position. That's it, 5. By comparison, Milo Eifler is out of position approximately 7-8 times per game. They're going to be able to stack pressure and still fill passing lanes because of how disciplined they play top to bottom. It's going to be a challenge for us to score, especially without Bhebe (Should that report be accurate). Other than leaning on the run game and getting Daniel Barker more involved in the seam, I don't have a great idea as to how to attack this defense. They're good.

If you're a lover of high octane offense, Monday could be a long afternoon for you. If you're a lover of sound defensive play, get your popcorn ready.

Garbers is actually pretty good when he can navigate the pocket, they get him out on the move quite a bit and he's legitimately sound at keeping his eyes down the field and allowing the play to develop when doing so but only if he's moving forward or to his right, the minute he steps backwards his mechanics disappear. He ends up having a lot of his balls disrupted at the LOS when he goes backwards. You definitely want to hit him but the big key is to keep him in the pocket without forward movement.

Watched 4 Cal games the last week or so (One of which was ASU which Garbers left early) in between the craziness, I came away feeling fairly sympathetic towards their fan base which I didn't think would occur. I don't mean this in any demeaning way whatsoever (If there's anyone who can say they know the feeling it's an Illini fan) but boy is that offense void of talent. In all seriousness, there are 3-4 players by my count that are good enough to play for us. That's it. Any and all criticism levied towards Beau Baldwin (Who's calling plays Monday, anyone heard?) and his offensive staff for their recruiting efforts is 100% warranted. They are not playing with a full deck and it limits what they can consistently execute on gameday. THAT SAID, they are also incredibly vanilla and are, by my view, misusing one of the few players that could play for us. I don't do the West Coast and as such I'd never heard of the kid but they have a little guy (He's listed at 5'10" but looks closer to 5'9") named Remigio, #4, that pops on tape (I don't have the Stanford game so it wasn't a part of my evaluation but he apparently went bonkers in that one, like 8 catches for 160 yards or something crazy) but they use him like your old, traditional possession type "Z' which makes essentially zero sense. They should be feeding that kid the ball in space as much as possible and merely supplementing his usage vertically, much like the way Jeff Brohm uses Rondale Moore. To that example, if this kid played for Purdue everyone on this board would likely know him by name but because of the way Baldwin used him this season, I'd never heard of him until I dug into the tape. They mix in a few choreographed outs, they try this interesting variation of a stick a couple times a game and they will do some RPO stuff but it's more or less a simple WCO by design. A lot of short stuff and flat work to get away from the run game. Very bland.

Defensively, they are as advertised. Still not the type of talent there that we would typically see from teams like Wisconsin or Michigan but they have a number of kids who can play and they are EXTREMELY well coached. The classic "Don't do the big things but do all the little things" type unit. They tackle really well, they flow to the football and they definitely understand what they're trying to do design wise. I watched the kid Weaver very intently and i chartered 5 plays (In 4 complete games) where I felt he was out of position. That's it, 5. By comparison, Milo Eifler is out of position approximately 7-8 times per game. They're going to be able to stack pressure and still fill passing lanes because of how disciplined they play top to bottom. It's going to be a challenge for us to score, especially without Bhebe (Should that report be accurate). Other than leaning on the run game and getting Daniel Barker more involved in the seam, I don't have a great idea as to how to attack this defense. They're good.

If you're a lover of high octane offense, Monday could be a long afternoon for you. If you're a lover of sound defensive play, get your popcorn ready.
I happen to fall in the first category :(

I don’t have the confidence in Peters that some folks have. He’s woefully inconsistent and inaccurate at times. If we lose this game it will be because of him. If we win this game it will be because of winning the turnover battle and the run game. If Smith chooses to use it. I sure hope by next year we have a clear cut starting QB. Not named Peters.

I hope your assessment of their offensive talent is accurate because if our guys are superior athletes they should be winning their 1-on-1 battles, and we should dominate. Also, if Milo is out of position that many snaps a game (20%?), isn't that Harding's fault? If Milo can't make the read then Dele needs to direct him, no?

I hope your assessment of their offensive talent is accurate because if our guys are superior athletes they should be winning their 1-on-1 battles, and we should dominate. Also, if Milo is out of position that many snaps a game (20%?), isn't that Harding's fault? If Milo can't make the read then Dele needs to direct him, no?

Keep in mind, we don't design for one on one matchups defensively. It's less about winning one on one's and more about our guys off the LOS simply doing their jobs and getting to their spots. It doesn't matter how good the Cal offense (Or any other offense for that matter) is or isn't, if we bust an assignment and there's a receiver standing open in a zone we're in trouble, right? The kids just need to do their jobs and we should be ok on that side of the ball.

That's a fair question, it's definitely on the MIKE to get guys to the correct spots but for such rampant misplay, the responsibility/blame ultimately lies with the coach and individual player. We have a problem on this board of blanket blaming the coaching staff for any issue we see and while that blame can be warranted at times, the player's themselves need to own their play.

Deleted member 656517

D
If we get 2 turnovers and Peter's gets over 50 yds rushing we win

So I assume we try hard to establish the run. I think it can be done and we can be successful this way, BUT the offensive line has to dominate. Cal isn’t used to Big Ten smash mouth. It’s probably our best recipe and if we can do it with success early should open up the passing game. Yes?
We're not ready for B1G "smash mouth football" either, Zuppke. Just look at our rush defense performance in conference.

Keep in mind, we don't design for one on one matchups defensively. It's less about winning one on one's and more about our guys off the LOS simply doing their jobs and getting to their spots. It doesn't matter how good the Cal offense (Or any other offense for that matter) is or isn't, if we bust an assignment and there's a receiver standing open in a zone we're in trouble, right? The kids just need to do their jobs and we should be ok on that side of the ball.

That's a fair question, it's definitely on the MIKE to get guys to the correct spots but for such rampant misplay, the responsibility/blame ultimately lies with the coach and individual player. We have a problem on this board of blanket blaming the coaching staff for any issue we see and while that blame can be warranted at times, the player's themselves need to own their play.
That's a good point about scheme being key on defense. If the guys on the line are winning their battles, though, it should help keep Garbers from doing what you said he's good at; moving forward and right. I'd love the seniors on D to go out with a really inspiring performance.

Is it fair to assume every team wrestles with choices between athleticism and headwork? For example does a better athlete with worse headwork beat out a lesser athlete that's reliably in position? Wouldn't every opposing coach see that in scouting and have a slate of plays that target players who can't read movement, for example? Favorable matchups and getting athletes in open space are still a thing in football, yes?

That's a good point about scheme being key on defense. If the guys on the line are winning their battles, though, it should help keep Garbers from doing what you said he's good at; moving forward and right. I'd love the seniors on D to go out with a really inspiring performance.

Is it fair to assume every team wrestles with choices between athleticism and headwork? For example does a better athlete with worse headwork beat out a lesser athlete that's reliably in position? Wouldn't every opposing coach see that in scouting and have a slate of plays that target players who can't read movement, for example? Favorable matchups and getting athletes in open space are still a thing in football, yes?

Oh absolutely, that’s a conversation most every Power 5 program in the country wrestled with (To use your phrasing). And while I could give you my personal opinion as to how I would do things, it wouldn’t be worth much. There’s no right or wrong answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.