Report: Duke coaches, admins ignored sexual assault claims

This story is gaining some heavy traction on the Internet so it's probably best to get this out of the recruiting thread

http://deadspin.com/report-duke-coa...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Duke junior Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed from the men's basketball team on Jan. 29, 2015, with no official explanation given. According to a report published today by the Chronicle, Duke's student newspaper, Sulaimon was dismissed more than a year after he was accused of sexually assaulting two female students. The Chronicle also reports that high-ranking members of the university's athletic department were aware of the allegations as early as March 2014, and violated federal law by failing to report them.
People are trying to destroy Coach K with this.

What I dont understand is why people are mad when he is just accused. Wait to see if he is guilty or not.
I think people believe it was handled improperly. Basically it's federal law to report sexual assault allegations up the chain of command and there seems to be some discrepancy on whetherthat ooccurred or not.

Bloomington
How sad is this: We live in a world where sexual assault victims are afraid to report incidents due to a fear of backlash from sports fans. SPORTS FANS!

God that's pathetic! And the worst part? I dont blame her. Not after seeing how Duke fans act on and around campus. The jeers at a players dead grandmother during FTs come to mind.

I think people believe it was handled improperly. Basically it's federal law to report sexual assault allegations up the chain of command and there seems to be some discrepancy on whetherthat ooccurred or not.
Sounds similar to winston case...that blew over nicely from FSU perspective...

Captain Trips-ville, Planet Houston
K's Blaze of Glory. Spinners & handlers gonna have to step up.

The paign born and raised
K took a page out of the Paterno handbook for handling awful situations.

Orange Krush '04 & '05
I'll never understand how a school thinks the hush route is the way to go. Come out and say "The alleged behavior is not acceptable in our program. He is suspended indefinitely pending legal resolution". Or "He has not been formally charged with a crime. If that were to happen, he would be suspended indefinitely".

When you get caught concealing the problem, it is very often more devastating than if the problem was revealed initially.

Cincinnati, OH
if the girls didn't report it with statements...how is the school accountable for reporting to NCAA?
Title IX is federal, not NCAA. Title IX requires the university to investigate the allegations. From the little I have read there is concern the university didn't investigate after they heard of the allegations.

K is culpable, according to the article. http://deadspin.com/report-duke-coac...ium=socialflow

"Nothing happened after months and months of talking about [the sexual assault allegations]," the anonymous affiliate said. "The University administration knew. Kevin White knew, Mike Cragg knew."

Title IX laws require almost all university employees to report any sexual assault allegations they have knowledge of to a supervisor, campus police, or the Student Conduct office, even if no official complaint has been lodged. In this case, the two students who claimed to have been assaulted by Sulaimon had painfully familiar reasoning for choosing not to formally file complaints.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how that accurate that deadspin article is about reporting title IX violations but here's this:

When an employee becomes aware of an alleged act of sexual harassment, discrimination or assault, the employee must promptly contact the Title IX Coordinator [and/or…]. The employee should use the Sexual Assault Reporting Form,which canbe found on the website at [ ]. Alternatively,the employee
may call the Title IX Coordinator and then follow-up by filing the form.
3. The Title IX Coordinator will promptly inform the Department of Public Safety.

Just like any mandated reported in Illinois will tell you, reporting a violation to your boss isn't enough to save you. Mandated reporters have to report the violations themselves to avoid legal ramifications.

A coverup of a sexual assault would be a major scandal, but there isn't a lot of information in this article about a coverup. It looks like numerous relevant administrators were made aware of the issue, and the player was ultimately dismissed from the team. Internal reports and proceedings are not usually made public. Without more detail, it is unfair to assume that there was an attempt to shield the athlete.

A coverup of a sexual assault would be a major scandal, but there isn't a lot of information in this article about a coverup. It looks like numerous relevant administrators were made aware of the issue, and the player was ultimately dismissed from the team. Internal reports and proceedings are not usually made public. Without more detail, it is unfair to assume that there was an attempt to shield the athlete.
It doesn't matter if administrators were made aware of the situation, if it wasn't reported to the Title IX coordinator immediately after they heard information (even waiting days can cause legal trouble), then they are held liable. The articles mention that they failed to report it, so my point is just based on that information.

The other thing here is that K and the rest of the assistant coaches knew about these allegations over a year ago. Not reporting them via the proper channels is bad enough but knowing that 2 different women reported being raped by this player and you still allow him on the team?

I'll never understand how a school thinks the hush route is the way to go. Come out and say "The alleged behavior is not acceptable in our program. He is suspended indefinitely pending legal resolution". Or "He has not been formally charged with a crime. If that were to happen, he would be suspended indefinitely".

When you get caught concealing the problem, it is very often more devastating than if the problem was revealed initially.
While I agree with you, let me play devils advocate: how many times has the hush route worked ???;)

I don't really think that makes Coach K culpable. He had a obligation to report it to his higher ups which he apparently did or someone did for him. Looks like the blame goes higher than him.
If K wanted his AD or others to report the allegations as required by Title IX, it would have happened.

If true, and it sounds like it is, this is very serious stuff. One person won't be held responsible, it will fall on a lot of people because they are all mandated reporters.
+1

It doesn't matter if administrators were made aware of the situation, if it wasn't reported to the Title IX coordinator immediately after they heard information (even waiting days can cause legal trouble), then they are held liable. The articles mention that they failed to report it, so my point is just based on that information.
+1

The other thing here is that K and the rest of the assistant coaches knew about these allegations over a year ago. Not reporting them via the proper channels is bad enough but knowing that 2 different women reported being raped by this player and you still allow him on the team?
+1

Supposedly winston refused to talk and FSU closed their initial title IX investigation. Bottom line doesn't seem to be much teeth, rigor or enforcement in the title IX investigation process.

Supposedly winston refused to talk and FSU closed their initial title IX investigation. Bottom line doesn't seem to be much teeth, rigor or enforcement in the title IX investigation process.
At least the title IX coordinator was alerted in FSU's case. That's the big difference here.