Report: Duke coaches, admins ignored sexual assault claims

At least the title IX coordinator was alerted in FSU's case. That's the big difference here.
Yep...not expecting a death penalty on this.... K may have only had rumors this time last year to go on.

After Penn State and Vanderbilt and others...I would hope that schools would follow up and possibly alert on rumors though.

Yep...not expecting a death penalty on this.... K may have only had rumors this time last year to go on.

After Penn State and Vanderbilt and others...I would hope that schools would follow up and possibly alert on rumors though.
It seems seriously odd that even after they kicked him off the team, they did no reporting. How long do you get to say "oops"? Evidently they think there is no limit for Dook

Kirksville, MO
Maybe Duke should pull a Syracuse to limit the fallout that's coming.
And admit fault?
No way that will happen.
They've got too much to lose.
They'll fight it down to a stern warning.

And admit fault?
No way that will happen.
They've got too much to lose.
They'll fight it down to a stern warning.
What is the punishment for failing to report a sexual assault allegation? Didn't the PSU guys get felonies for this and jail time?

It doesn't matter if administrators were made aware of the situation, if it wasn't reported to the Title IX coordinator immediately after they heard information (even waiting days can cause legal trouble), then they are held liable. The articles mention that they failed to report it, so my point is just based on that information.
The Deadspin article appears to be simply restating the Chronicle article, which itself does not give enough information to show that a Title XI violation occurred. There is an anonymous source (vetted by a student newspaper) sort-of-alleging the nonexistence of an investigation which only a few people would have known about anyhow due to student privacy rules. The anonymous source is only quoted as saying that "nothing happened," which is not the same as specifically alleging that nothing was reported to the Title XI coordinator or that the Office of Student Conduct did not perform any informal investigation. The story as you describe it could be true, but it could also easily be the case that (a) the student journalist misunderstood the source, (b) we misunderstood the student journalist, (c) the anonymous source is misinformed, or (d) the anonymous source doesn't understand the process.

In short, if you are willing to make strong judgments based on a parsed reading of an anonymous source's information which might be third-hand for all we know, then I have a point guard to sell you.

Last edited:
The Deadspin article appears to be simply restating the Chronicle article, which itself does not give enough information to show that a Title XI violation occurred. There is an anonymous source (vetted by a student newspaper) sort-of-alleging the nonexistence of an investigation which only a few people would have known about anyhow due to student privacy rules. The anonymous source is only quoted as saying that "nothing happened," which is not the same as specifically alleging that nothing was reported to the Title XI coordinator or that the Office of Student Conduct did not perform any informal investigation. The story could easily be explained by (a) the student journalist misunderstanding the source, (b) us misunderstanding the student journalist, (c) the anonymous source being misinformed, or (d) the anonymous source not understanding the process.

If you are willing to make strong judgments based on a parsed reading of an anonymous source's information which might be third-hand for all we know, then I have a point guard to sell you.
It could very well be a misunderstanding, but this is a fairly serious allegation, so it's worth talking about the ramifications.. this is a thread after all.

Lexington, KY
What is the punishment for failing to report a sexual assault allegation? Didn't the PSU guys get felonies for this and jail time?
Someone is going to have to fall on the sword and I certainly don't see it being Coach K.

Iowa City
I'm not sure on this but I think there is a difference if failing to report a sexual assault between adults and failing to report a sexual adult against a minor. I think because of the position they were in, the PSU guys should have been mandatory reporters and that would come with jail time.

Quad-Cities, IL
I'm not sure on this but I think there is a difference if failing to report a sexual assault between adults and failing to report a sexual adult against a minor. I think because of the position they were in, the PSU guys should have been mandatory reporters and that would come with jail time.
It's always the cover up that gets you. Better to take the heat on day one and move on. No player I don't care how good would be worth me losing a coaching job because that payers actions.

Golden, IL
Just like the Carolina case , if anything ever happens to Duke I'll be way beyond shocked.
This is more serious than an academic scandal, though. If this ends up becoming a criminal case and a federal matter, the NCAA will be the least of their worries.

This is more serious than an academic scandal, though. If this ends up becoming a criminal case and a federal matter, the NCAA will be the least of their worries.
ask msu how that worked out.

+1. Don't understand why none of the Duke principals reported this up the chain and why K didn't at least suspend Sulaimon when he learned of these allegations a year ago. They knew better and now should face some sort of disciplinary measure.