Rumors on some boards that Pitt is Big Ten bound

Woodridge, IL
I don't think they need to split it geographically. They could just name the divisions after two important people from the Big Ten.

Division A
Ohio State
Michigan
Indiana
Purdue
Wisconsin
Michigan State

Division B
Penn State
Pitt
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern

In this everyone keeps their biggest football "rivals" except Wisconsin but do they have any intense rivalries really?

I'd say that it's fairly balanced, but the thing is you never know. I'm sure after 2007 most of us saw the Illini being one of the perennial contenders for a Big Ten championship and we know how that turned out.

That's a winner!!
OH
I don't think they need to split it geographically. They could just name the divisions after two important people from the Big Ten.

Division A
Ohio State
Michigan
Indiana
Purdue
Wisconsin
Michigan State

Division B
Penn State
Pitt
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern

In this everyone keeps their biggest football "rivals" except Wisconsin but do they have any intense rivalries really?

I'd say that it's fairly balanced, but the thing is you never know. I'm sure after 2007 most of us saw the Illini being one of the perennial contenders for a Big Ten championship and we know how that turned out.
Gotta go Furry and Not Furry

A Legend in My Own Mind
Montgomery, IL
Why is this thread still alive after the Pitt rumor was debunked? True, they may still end up joining the B10, but nothing is going to be announced any time soon.

Woodridge, IL
Why is this thread still alive after the Pitt rumor was debunked? True, they may still end up joining the B10, but nothing is going to be announced any time soon.
Because signing day is over and there's nothing else to talk about until spring ball.

Division A
Ohio State
Michigan
Indiana
Purdue
Wisconsin
Michigan State

Division B
Penn State
Pitt
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern

Your suggested division alignment is not bad at all. It does split Wisconsin from Minnesota (no big deal) and Michigan from Minnesota ("Little Brown Jug") but otherwise looks good.

A Legend in My Own Mind
Montgomery, IL
If Pitt joins, we can have the Furry Division and the Not Furry Division:

FURRY:
Michigan
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Penn State
Pitt

NOT FURRY:
Ohio State
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Are we certain that Hoosiers are "Not Furry"??

Furry vs. not furry is by far the best idea LOL hilarious.

That comment made my day!!!!!!!!!!! love it. But is there a slimy, not slimy division?

Pitt would be a good choice. ND would be a great choice for exposure and impact. Other choices seem less logical and less helpful.

But, it's all rumor and if anything happens, it will be many months from now.

I think we all realize an odd number is, well, odd. Minimally, that will be rectified at some point. Whether the league goes beyond 12 will be purely a function of relative advantages and disadvanteges academically and economically. I'd hate to see it, but that's mostly because I personally like retaining the traditional look of the conference as much as realistically possible. Change will come, it's only a matter of when and what.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Pitt would work for the purposes of having even Furry vs. Not Furry divisions. Missouri would work for this, too. For that reason, one of those should be the choice. If they want to add 3 teams they could go Pitt, Missouri, and then a non-furry mascot school (ND or Rutgers?).

Pitt would work for the purposes of having even Furry vs. Not Furry divisions. Missouri would work for this, too. For that reason, one of those should be the choice.
Pretty much couldn't have said it better myself. Furry vs Not Furry is awesome.

Count me as one very impressed by the Furry and not furry divs for the new Big 10 ! (coming soon to a stadium near you - it is not all rumors just timing is off a bit)

Furry and not Furry works as well as any thing else. Great work !

Big Bob in Brandon

because it's good for the conference. and our rivalry with ND doesn't even come close to their rivalries with other b10 progs
Well, I've been going to Memorial Stadium, Huff Gym, and the Assembly Hall since the 50's, and I sure don't recall any "Rivalry" with ND.....:eek:

Can you enlighten me.... :D

Well, I've been going to Memorial Stadium, Huff Gym, and the Assembly Hall since the 50's, and I sure don't recall any "Rivalry" with ND.....:eek:

Can you enlighten me.... :D
What rivalry? When did IL last play ND anyway, in any sport?
If anything, IL and ND have an antirivalry

FURRY:
Michigan
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Penn State
Pitt

NOT FURRY:
Ohio State
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Good thing the Spartans, Boilermakers, Hoosiers and Illini are in the non furry class. The women athletes would really be POed if they were in the other division.

"HEY! I'm not furry. I shaved today." :eek:

note- I am not going to get into a discussion on where they were to shave. :eek: In their dorm bathroom most likely. :D

The camera never lies
Champaign
What rivalry? When did IL last play ND anyway, in any sport?
If anything, IL and ND have an antirivalry
Mens BB in the NCAA tourney, 2nd round they beat Illinois.
Recent years have played Illinois in Baseball, Mens & Womens Tennis, Womens Basketball home and home a few years back.

Albion, IL

FURRY:
Michigan
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Penn State
Pitt

NOT FURRY:
Ohio State
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
That is creative

Mens BB in the NCAA tourney, 2nd round they beat Illinois.
Recent years have played Illinois in Baseball, Mens & Womens Tennis, Womens Basketball home and home a few years back.
Ok, so that makes it a rivalry then! :rolleyes:
Thanks I think IL played ND in Mens BB back in the 70s or 80s once or twice.
But that might be a figment of my imagination! :)

Ok, so that makes it a rivalry then! :rolleyes:
Thanks I think IL played ND in Mens BB back in the 70s or 80s once or twice.
But that might be a figment of my imagination! :)
Illinois has played Notre Dame in basketball 40 times. But it appears that the last time they played them in a regular season game was on January 25, 1973 in Chicago. That was the last of annual games against Notre Dame in Chicago that had started in 1957. The only time they've played the Irish since was in the NCAA tournament in 2003.

Illinois has played Notre Dame in basketball 40 times. But it appears that the last time they played them in a regular season game was on January 25, 1973 in Chicago. That was the last of annual games against Notre Dame in Chicago that had started in 1957. The only time they've played the Irish since was in the NCAA tournament in 2003.
In 1943, one of Notre Dame's National Championship years in football, they beat us 47-0.

That gets me pretty riled up.