Rutgers 72, Illinois 57 POSTGAME

We got the ball to them in the 1st half and not the second. Kofi got offensive rebounds in the 1st not in the 2nd. Giorgi no touches in the paint in the 2nd except for the flop on Rutgers. Too many 3’s in the 2nd half by the guards and forced shots in the paint. Game plan wasn’t the problem execution was got away from it in the 2nd half. Unfortunately Kofi plays like a freshman a lot lately

This could be the best thing to happen to Illinois basketball in the last 30 years. If he continues to struggle like most freshman he will be back. The thought of him as a Sophomore with a full year to learn foot work and a go to move? Yikes! Add to that Miller, Curbello and a Junior Griffin, (and just for RC that Hitch guy - just playing RC 😊), we could be really good next year.

I agree with most of you fans. I simply do not understand why Kipper was not on the court guarding GioBaker and Harper jr.? I would not have cared if he fouled out in 20 minutes. Having our small guards man up those hefty guards confused me.
Not feeding the post like the 1st half, made my head spin. GB and Kofi had 14pts and 12 rebounds in the 1st half. The Tyler Underwood and TJ playing time really makes me scratch my head. Enough said, onto Penn St.. let's go Illini

I think there's a tendency to confuse coaching vs execution error. I'm sure BU didn't have 30 threes lined up in his game plan. I'm confident that the plan was to work inside out. The guards have to execute that. Interior passing has been an issue all year. Getting to the basket has not. That's been a strength. Rutgers has big, long, athletic guards with very active hands.

The guards, less Ayo, got outplayed badly. I think it's really that easy. Rutgers took us out of everything we "wanted" to do.

Sometimes.....it's just a kudos and a hat tip to the other guy.
Well i agree with some of this. Clearly GB didnt shoot a 3 today so something must have finally been said which needed to be said. I also think if BU calls a set to get the ball to GB in the post more they could have. I am not thinking all the threes was by design but the coach can stop that and look inside, Ill give you that they did miss some good open looks from three i was fine with, I think it was pretty clear the game plan was to go inside in the first half was overlooked to some degree in the second half, Maybe they had sets called to get the ball inside to the bigs and if they did and didnt execute it then your correct. It didnt appear to be the case in the second half but maybe it was.

They are not , okay. They won;t win Tues, And don't tell me Indiana and Iowa are gimmees because they are not. I said there's a chance they could lose next 5, before Iowa. Not negative i follow college bb and have a good perspective of other teams. And if they don't start playin some freakin' defense again they are in trouble.

Don’t disagree just that there are many more examples of low level transfers that dont pan out. All I really care about is, hating on anybody is far from what I said, Both will get a chance, and I hope your correct never seen either play. I do know Curbello and Miller are very HIGH level recruits coming from HS. Anyways let’s just hope your right on this one.
Sorry for saying what i said. Frustrated that Ayo was out today. They played hard. Just wish they had stayed more focused on feeding the post and played to our strength and not our current weaker area of shooting 3s. Here is a link i love with a good video of Hutch and his length and his soft shot i am looking forward too we could have used today.

https://www.thechampaignroom.com/20...all-2020-recruiting-profile-austin-hutcherson

They are not , okay. They won;t win Tues, And don't tell me Indiana and Iowa are gimmees because they are not. I said there's a chance they could lose next 5, before Iowa. Not negative i follow college bb and have a good perspective of other teams. And if they don't start playin some freakin' defense again they are in trouble.

I think your 100% correct. If they had beat Miami and Mizzno they would not be in any danger but 11-9 or 10-10 may not get it for Illinois because they have some bad preseason looses.

Sorry for saying what i said. Frustrated that Ayo was out today. They played hard. Just wish they had stayed more focused on feeding the post and played to our strength and not our current weaker area of shooting 3s. Here is a link i love with a good video of Hutch and his length and his soft shot i am looking forward too we could have used today.

https://www.thechampaignroom.com/20...all-2020-recruiting-profile-austin-hutcherson
No no bud, don’t be sorry at all, just simple internet confusion on what each of us were trying to say. I really, I mean really, hope your right. Just did not want you or anyone to think I was hating on a kid I admit I have never seen play. Good article thanks!

Missed game..but saw boxscore....and it was clear our offense missed Ayo.

Also, Kofi forgot how to shoot FTs at 70%...and Giorgi is back....good for 6/7/2 in 20 min and alan should concentrate on shooting 3s (0 for 5 on 2ps, 3 for 6 on 3ps)....Kipper must have pissed off Brad only getting 3 minutes.

illini80

Forgottonia
Not sure that coaching was the problem, but we didn’t play well. Played hard, but not well. Lost way too many guys on defense. Especially Kip and Tev. Interior passing is a real weakness and without Ayo’s playmaking it shows even more. Yes we took too many threes, but that’s because we don’t pass the ball well enough to get better looks. The dribble weave was completely ineffective.

Frankly I thought we would struggle today. Even though Penn State is better, I‘m hoping we will play better against them with this one under our belt. Likely a loss still, but they have a few days to correct some things. Defense is key to staying in the game and we did not play that well enough today.

We settled for too many ok shots. Rutgers turned their ok shots into great shots by pump faking, driving, and collapsing our D. Difference in the game.

the national

the Front Range
I think with Ayo out, Brad is dangerously close to losing this team. I thought he had a good game plan but the team on the floor failed to execute. In the post-game, he noted that guys were playing extended minutes and in those minutes a lot of mistakes were made because of the extra things they were being asked to do. It disrupted their flow. One mistake would lead to another. Maybe doing more substitutions would be a better answer than leaving things to go long. I'm not sure. Those two scoring droughts in the second half were PAINFUL. It was like a slow death by papercuts. We know they are better than that. If we lose to PSU, I think the mental part of the game will push us into another loss in one of those "gimmies", just not sure which one. Feliz and Frazier I trust but Giorgi, Alan, Tev, and Kip I'm not sure about (especially on defense). One of them needs to step it up in a serious way. And play some gosh darn defense.

Deleted member 746654

D
I think with Ayo out, Brad is dangerously close to losing this team. I thought he had a good game plan but the team on the floor failed to execute. In the post-game, he noted that guys were playing extended minutes and in those minutes a lot of mistakes were made because of the extra things they were being asked to do. It disrupted their flow. One mistake would lead to another. Maybe doing more substitutions would be a better answer than leaving things to go long. I'm not sure. Those two scoring droughts in the second half were PAINFUL. It was like a slow death by papercuts. We know they are better than that. If we lose to PSU, I think the mental part of the game will push us into another loss in one of those "gimmies", just not sure which one. Feliz and Frazier I trust but Giorgi, Alan, Tev, and Kip I'm not sure about (especially on defense). One of them needs to step it up in a serious way. And play some gosh darn defense.

The above will not happen.

GB and Kofi were 7 for 16 and got the the line from 2, It was not hard to get GB the ball. Your right though for the little guys those are tough shots. Thats the coaches job to make sure the right guys get the ball right?
Well, the players have to execute, too. This would not be the first time an elite defensive team has disrupted their opponent’s game plan. (And if you’re wondering about the “elite” part, Rutgers is 11th in adjusted defensive efficiency this year.)

Alan Griffin does so many things well. The next steps of maturation in his game are to avoid losing his man on the break. Hes the #1 offender at this point. Number two, is to begin working on finishing at the rim more effectively. Hes too athletic to be this ineffective inside 15 feet

Play was not up to Dec/Jan play, the team played hard, fought for balls/rebounds/fouls etc....just hard to win on the road, especially with a 1st/2nd rounder on the bench. That said we were challenged (polite way) to put it mildly offensively.

Kofi missed way to many bunnies, realizing he had arms/hands flailing, but all bigs deal with this.
Trent/Alan/Jones, horrendous %...can one of the Jones disciples please tell me again why we should have been playing him all year? His shooting was just not there...great hustle block, but man quit shooting if it isn't your night.
Giorgi, seemd like the old guy we had, he at least played hard and seemed to accept the role.
Williams/Kipper brought nothing notable to the game..

We could very well be losing more ground than we thought before the game now....a loss of this magnitude, this late, to an unranked team (as of now-they will probably take our ranking) will not only get us removed from top 25, but our seeding will be affected due to this game in a month as well.

Can Feliz teach Tev and Griffin how to get to the hoop after a pump fake? Seems like our guys got Rutgers up in the air a lot pump faking threes, but then hesitate and then settle for a long two.

I think it is clear our strengths are our inside play, rebounding, defense and solid guards led by Ayo. Our clear weakness is outside shooting. Allen Griffin needs to start and i think GB does too but play to his strengths. If DW can take uncontested shots then he or AG could but I think AG is to good on the glass and is our best outside shooter lately that he has to get significant minutes. We need his shooting and rebounding so badly to make shots and get on the offense glass to help overcome our short comings shooting

Last edited:

Deleted member 656517

D
Our offense should be running like the 2011-12 Miznoz Tigers

Just because Kofi’s proven to be a legit “big” man doesn’t mean we should get away from running like previous yrs. He’s proven he can run the court, and when he gets tired sub him for Giorgi

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
MMmmmmmmmmmm!! Lemme get some syrup to go with all the delicious hottakes!!

giphy.gif

We lost to a really good team, @their house (where they are UNDEFEATED this year), without our best player. All the chicken littles on here thinking the sky is falling need to chill out. If Ayo was out for the rest of the season, then it’s time to panic. For now let’s get past Penn St. (which is likely a L, let’s get prepared for that now). The last of our conference games are completely winnable after Penn St.