Sally Ride Passes Away

Tiny Illini
The basement of the Alamo
Maybe this is more important to me because I'm one of the few females on this board, but Sally Ride has passed away from cancer. She was only 61.

I remember when she became the first American woman in space. Although I was very young at the time (maybe five or six) I was very aware of the significance of the moment, and how wonderful it was for a woman to break yet another barrier. At that age I was still quite interested in science, although for a variety of reasons that interest faded. Nevertheless, she was a reminder to me that girls could achieve their dreams if they worked hard enough.

Rest in peace.

Chicago
Very sad indeed, I remember looking up to astronauts, as so many kids do. I may not be female, but she definitely inspired me too. Maybe because my mom talked so much about her when I went through my spaceman phase as a kid.

I also had no idea that she was a lesbian (though apparently it wasn't a huge secret). Peace and comfort to her family and spouse and RIP Sally. Thanks for giving kids (and adults, really) something to dream about.

Sorry to hear this. She was a true pioneer.