Season Opener - Austin Peay at Illinois

I watched some of the Hossier game - for the game being in Indy the Hossier faithful did not show up like the ol days.

Deleted member 2050

D
illinifan87 said:
IU played well for all of 5 minutes tonight. No one jumped the gun. They narrowly beat a terrible UL team in Indiana. I saw a pathetic team for the better part of 35 minutes that was outhustled and outplayed.

It ended up being a blowout because UL couldn't stop committing dumb turnovers. IU is not going to be good this year, and tonight proved it.
Hey - I'm not a cheerleader for IU. Just saying that they beat the crap out of em. Capitalize on turnovers and you score. Dumb or not. And I don't know about you, but Wilmont scares me..

arew said:
Hey - I'm not a cheerleader for IU. Just saying that they beat the crap out of em. Capitalize on turnovers and you score. Dumb or not. And I don't know about you, but Wilmont scares me..
Blow out? Hmm you must've been looking at the score then because this game was not a blowout. IU was on their heels the entire game until the end.

I'm more worried about White then any of their other guys. He's got the length, strength, and size to cause us some problems this season. Not really worried about Calloway or Wilmont. They're both pretty good players but our man to man defense I think can shut them down.

We should beat this team without question. Whether or not we do is another story but I thought IU looked like a pathetic mid major team tonight.

SpeakerOfTheHouseOfPaign
the Quad Cities (East Moline)
arew said:
6 turnovers. blek. :confused:
indeed

Frazier 2005-06 -- vs Austin Peay
min 13.4 -------------32
FG 10-48 .208 ---- 1-5 .200 minus .008
3fg 5-32 .156 ----- 0-1 .000 minus .156
FT 9-18 .500 ------5-10 .500 even
A/TO 2.4 to 1 ----- 1.25 to 1 minus 1.15

8 assists is great...unfortunately it comes with alot of baggage...ive read Frazier has alot of heart which is good but im not sold that he is the right person to lead Illinois at the point and i think PG is going to prove to be our achilles heel this season...50% FT shooting from a point gaurd is unacceptable

team free throws 12-27 44% is unacceptable

Illinois' 16 3pfg attempts is down from the 22-23 per game we have been averaging for the past 10 years and proves what we have all been saying all along about this squad and that is that they will be more post oriented

Great way to start with a W. However what is with these injuries? Hope that it isn't serious but this is getting to be annoying. Agree with nut that FT% is a big concern right now. A team like ours to get to the next level has to hit the freebies. Except for Trent it was an adventure every time somebody went to the line.

Chester has to cut down on the turnovers. He has a chance to be a solid Big 10 point guard but the can't go on getting 6-7 turnovers against second class competition.

Another guy I am worried about is Semrau, I realize he could have the jitters and all but 4 turnovers in 16 minutes and 1/5 shooting is not the way to start it off.

The good is that we will play good defense. We are deep as far as big man. We can probably rough it up more then we have been able to since the days of Johnson-Archibald-Krupalija. It is only one game and the opponent isn't NCAA bound but I thought it was a very nice start in general.

Illini Foot Soldier
blackangel said:
However what is with these injuries? Hope that it isn't serious but this is getting to be annoying.
Jamar sprained an ankle, more to come today but I have a feeling it won't be too serious.

Brian just flamed up the groin injury, nothing serious and was taken out mainly as a precautious from what I'm hearing.

D-Ville-30 miles east
I think that Weber needs to have the guys work on free throws in 1 of the 40 minute sessions. If they don't get that under control they will shoot themselves right out of games against good teams this year.

Champaign's Finest
Chicago, IL
TruOrange&Blue said:
I think that Weber needs to have the guys work on free throws in 1 of the 40 minute sessions. If they don't get that under control they will shoot themselves right out of games against good teams this year.
Agreed. That was a big problem last year, too. Those are easy points!

San Francisco Bay Area
illinifan87 said:
80-35 = 45 points by son. :)

My god IU is terrible. Jesus christ, they're a friggin disgrace. And again, if UL could stop making dumb mistakes, they'd be winning by like 15 right now (ok that's a little drastic but they'd be leading this game).
I was, of course, not refering to the spread but the great defensive effort in holding APSU to only 35 points. Next time I'll be more clear.

Anyway, I really hope Mr. Smith only has a sprain and not a tear or something even worse.

It was good to hear that BR moved pretty well and thanks for that great dunk clip.

Now, I await the pictures from the game. :p :p :p :D :D :D

San Francisco Bay Area
TruOrange&Blue said:
Man oh, man what a glaring area of need. When we start playing the really good teams this will become a game winner or loser for us.

Last year we were good enough in other areas to gloss over this.

Please, guys, these are ‘free’ points to be taken or lost. Let’s make ‘em and take ‘em.

Not a bad start, but I agree the free throw shooting will kill us. We will get blown out by Arizona if we shoot 50% from the charity stripe. I can't get too excited because we beat the snot out of Austin Peay, a pathetic team.

Miami of Ohio will be a good tune up for Maryland. As for the other games before Miami, it's difficult to gage where our team is at. I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys can do against a team with a little talent.

I really hope Jamar's injury is minor. Bruce needs to really watch Randle, hamstrings aren't something to mess around with. If he doesn't heal properly, it will flare up all season long. The last thing we need is a 60-70% Brian Randle all season long. In order to compete with Arizona, Wisconsin, Ohio State, he has to be at his best.

I didn't get to see the illinois game but it looks like we will be playing really deep. Glad to see Jamar shoot it well but hopefully this is not a terrible sprain. I did watch the Indiana game, they were getting burned all over on back door cuts and with out DJ white in the game there bigs were ineffective. Allen just stands outside on the peremiter waiting to hit a three. I think Frazier and Randle could hound there guards all night long (if healthy). I think our team can only be overlooked for so long this year because if we beat teams 80-35 that will eventually get attention and then I think that we should be able to beat maryland and arizona. Good first win and Go Illini!

San Francisco Bay Area
illinifan87 said:
Blow out? Hmm you must've been looking at the score then because this game was not a blowout. IU was on their heels the entire game until the end.

I'm more worried about White then any of their other guys. He's got the length, strength, and size to cause us some problems this season. Not really worried about Calloway or Wilmont. They're both pretty good players but our man to man defense I think can shut them down.

We should beat this team without question. Whether or not we do is another story but I thought IU looked like a pathetic mid major team tonight.
Agreed! :D

I would not read to much into the IU effort. Remember, it was the first game of a new regime. Also, their best players were on the bench with 4 fouls at the beginning of the second half when Lafayette was making a nuisance of itself.

Then they went on a 27-3 run to put it away. They are good but we are better at his point. :)