Sherwin Williams - Illini Orange

IlliniIntensity

Batavia, IL
I'm looking to paint my office Illini Orange with Sherwin Williams paint. Any idea which color is the closest match?

Thanks,
IlliniIntensity

Ryllini

Lombard
I'm looking to paint my office Illini Orange with Sherwin Williams paint. Any idea which color is the closest match?

Thanks,
IlliniIntensity

Coming from a guy in the paint business, you will pay through your nose for SW paint and not have that great of quality paint. I believe Glidden has the rights to the college and pro sports team colors, but then you are really getting garbage paint. I'd suggest going to Home Depot and buying Illini Orange(if they have it) in a sample, then have an associate color match it into Behr. The sample and even the best paint from Behr and you are under the cost of SW and have the highest quality paint. They have the top 3 rated paints in the industry and even the pro lines are as good as anyone, hands down.

archgrad2006

Indianapolis

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Coming from a guy in the paint business, you will pay through your nose for SW paint and not have that great of quality paint. I believe Glidden has the rights to the college and pro sports team colors, but then you are really getting garbage paint. I'd suggest going to Home Depot and buying Illini Orange(if they have it) in a sample, then have an associate color match it into Behr. The sample and even the best paint from Behr and you are under the cost of SW and have the highest quality paint. They have the top 3 rated paints in the industry and even the pro lines are as good as anyone, hands down.

funny (strange)

back in the day , you almost always saw pro painters using Pratt & Lambert or Benjamin Moore.

But that was back when almost every decent sized town had a paint and wall coverings store. Those mom and pop stores went the way of the bakery, butcher, florist , garden center, hardware store, lumber yard, etc.

trying to find the one or two guys working at a HD that really know what they are talking about is not easy

Ryllini

Lombard
funny (strange)

back in the day , you almost always saw pro painters using Pratt & Lambert or Benjamin Moore.

But that was back when almost every decent sized town had a paint and wall coverings store. Those mom and pop stores went the way of the bakery, butcher, florist , garden center, hardware store, lumber yard, etc.

trying to find the one or two guys working at a HD that really know what they are talking about is not easy

You are absolutely right about the level of knowledge at THD, but Behr paint is the best quality across their 3 DIY lines and their pro lines. THD is starting to lean their paint departments into specialty departments to get a paint store feel and usually the paint associates are knowledgable about their products, cant really say that about the rest of the departments. BM(JC Licht) make tremendous paints as well, but you pay for them them. You definitely have a trade off, go with Behr and not get the typical paint store feel but your price is tremendous and quality is the best, or go with SW, BM and get the paint store, but price and quality can go down. There are really 4 major players in the paint industry, Behr, SW, Licht, and PPG. Dunn and Edwards out west make nice, quality paints as well.

Last edited:

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
You are absolutely right about the level of knowledge at THD, but Behr paint is the best quality across their 3 DIY lines and their pro lines. THD is starting to lean their paint departments into specialty departments to get a paint store feel and usually the paint associates are knowledgable about their products, cant really say that about the rest of the departments. BM(JC Licht) make tremendous paints as well, but you pay for them them. You definitely have a trade off, go with Behr and not get the typical paint store feel but your price is tremendous and quality is the best, or go with SW, BM and get the paint store, but price and quality can go down. There are really 4 major players in the paint industry, Behr, SW, Licht, and PPG. Dunn and Edwards out west make nice, quality paints as well.
Yeah, Dunn Edwards is good stuff out here. I use them for all my painting needs. Too bad it's only available in select states.

bdutts

Houston, Texas

Thanks,
IlliniIntensity

Funny story: A friend of mine was looking for orange so he could paint something for our tailgate parties (can't remember if it was cornhole boards or something else) but he goes over to Home Depot and asked for orange paint. They ask him what color orange. He replied, you know, like the fruit. Orange. They had all these other variations of orange (like dreamsicle) but didn't have ROYGBIV orange. Needless to say, he wasn't happy.

I told him he should have asked for f*cking orange. :)