SMU's downfall

So SMU just lost Frazier and Justin Martin. That's 16.2 ppg, and 6.2 rebounds between the two. Pretty big blow, especially since they were 2 of only 5 players that took any 3 pt shots this season. Sucks for Larry Brown, but that gives teams like Illinois a better chance on Selection Sunday.

Scottsdale, AZ
Meh. I'm ready for the SMU as a legitimate program thing to be over. Good for us, I guess, though I really wish Semi had ended up in C-U.

So SMU just lost Frazier and Justin Martin. That's 16.2 ppg, and 6.2 rebounds between the two. Pretty big blow, especially since they were 2 of only 5 players that took any 3 pt shots this season. Sucks for Larry Brown, but that gives teams like Illinois a better chance on Selection Sunday.
Frazier is another example of HS transfers and proper credits and on top of it "grade changes". The high school he graduated from in Dallas was none other than Kimball and guess what it's the alma mater of Jawun Evans.
I'm just surprised this didn't bring down the NCAA hammer on that program. Maybe it still will. That might be why JE and ET avoided SMU in their final choice.

I'm just surprised this didn't bring down the NCAA hammer on that program. Maybe it still will. That might be why JE and ET avoided SMU in their final choice.
NCAA is involved, though I'm not sure how much weight they have left to throw around these days. :D

Sucks for Larry Brown, but that gives teams like Illinois a better chance on Selection Sunday.
I'm not sure SMU will have much of a resume for SS anyway. And this might suck for Tim Jankovich, i.e. the "coach in waiting" if he ends up taking over a program on probation.

Kirksville, MO
Sounds like Martin was "encouraged" to go pro rather than remain on the team.

ESPN.com reported early Friday that Justin Martin's recent departure is too related to academics, and sources have told CBSSports.com that last's week's news that assistant Ulric Maligi, a heralded recruiter, has taken an idefinite leave of absence for "personal reasons" is less about "personal reasons" than it is about this possible scandal that the NCAA is already inquiring about on some level. One source told CBSSports.com that among the issues is a questionable transcript, and that the odds of Maligi returning to SMU are "slim."

Maligi recruited Frazier to SMU.

CBSSports

Meh. I'm ready for the SMU as a legitimate program thing to be over.
It kinda hasn't started yet. The whole thing is a gamble worth taking if you're a school like SMU. If you get caught, who cares? At least you tried. It's not like you were going anywhere with the status quo.

Same deal with Auburn.

Meh. I'm ready for the SMU as a legitimate program thing to be over. Good for us, I guess, though I really wish Semi had ended up in C-U.
Semi only went to SMU because they guaranteed him 2.5 years of eligibility, whereas we only had 2 left.

Scottsdale, AZ
It kinda hasn't started yet. The whole thing is a gamble worth taking if you're a school like SMU. If you get caught, who cares? At least you tried. It's not like you were going anywhere with the status quo.

Same deal with Auburn.
Yep, which irritates me even more since we've lost Nic Moore & Semi to them, and indirectly Ben Moore.

Let's see a show of hands: Who is shocked that a Larry Brown coached team is in trouble with the NCAA?

NCAA is preparing to lower the boom.

ESPN.com

Sources told ESPN that assistant coach Ulric Maligi's involvement with Frazier before the player enrolled in SMU has been under investigation. The school announced on Jan. 13 that Maligi has taken a leave of absence for personal reasons.

Frazier, a McDonald's All-American out of Kimball High School in Dallas, had difficulty meeting the NCAA's eligibility standards to get into SMU. Earlier Friday, sources told ESPN the 6-foot-5 sophomore will be ruled ineligible for the remainder of the season, pending a ruling on his final appeal filed this week, due to his current academic standing.

Scottsdale, AZ
Fine, I'll ask the question. Any way Semi can get out of that, or is he screwed?

Let's see a show of hands: Who is shocked that a Larry Brown coached team is in trouble with the NCAA?
Here's a better question: Who is shocked that a coach affiliated with the University of Kansas is in trouble with the NCAA? If that isn't the all-time dirtiest program in college basketball, it's certainly in the top 5.:hurl:

Decatur, IL
Here's a better question: Who is shocked that a coach affiliated with the University of Kansas is in trouble with the NCAA? If that isn't the all-time dirtiest program in college basketball, it's certainly in the top 5.:hurl:
I remember seeing a Wilt Chamberlain interview where he was asked how much Kansas paid him to come there. He said Indiana was offering a lot more.