Spring Football 2016

Not saying we should be playing unedited versions of songs at a family friendly event, but 4-5 star recruits most definitely need to be catered to, that's what recruiting means. And a large number of current top recruits enjoy hip-hop.

I'm pretty sure the songs were edited anyway. I didn't notice any cuss words.:confused:

I don't think a demographic that appreciates foul language needs to be catered to.

I understand your frustration as a parent, but I think you are being a little too hard on them. Lovie said in a recent article that there is no cussing on the football field during their practices, so I do not think that there is a overarching culture of foul language in this program.

Just to reiterate what others are saying, you are talking about basically every recruit and current player. In the ncaa.

And everyone who was ever a teenager or young adult. It's not "today's kids"...kid's have always been rebellious. I've read my grandfather's diaries...pretty interesting read on life in the 30's and 40's in Chicago and Champaign (and the military).

KamsBartender84

Illiniorange on TOS
Los Angeles
I would say there is a good chance he already owned it. Still would be nice if he didn't wear the old stuff though.

AFAIC the old stuff, as hideous as it was, is still better than the new rebrand fail Nike phoned in using their summer interns.. I wouldn't be caught dead in that clip art shield.

Ferb_zpsobecugh0.jpg

I think we all need to remember that this is a college football program, not a Sunday school. I'm all for playing whatever gets the players (and recruits) excited. If we're on board with Lovie, let's let him run practice how he sees fit.

I'm pretty sure the songs were edited anyway. I didn't notice any cuss words.:confused:

They weren't edited. I noticed questionable language and my grandson noticed even more. Does the F word ring a bell? Again, it was enough that he brought it up on the drive home. He's 8.

KJKobs

Chicago, IL
They weren't edited. I noticed questionable language and my grandson noticed even more. Does the F word ring a bell? Again, it was enough that he brought it up on the drive home. He's 8.

I'm sure it won't be the last time he hears it in his life

Led Zeppelin.....The Lemon Song....1969...Im sure you heard it in public grandpa..just like me...it wasnt about farming....thats rock and roll...thats hip hop....it still speaks to young people just like it did and still maybe does for geezers as well.....

The F word should be the biggest problem your grandson or mine faces in this life

I wasn't there so I don't know the type of song/music that was being played. Since this practice was open to the public, I would find it highly inappropriate to be playing music that contained what could be viewed as vulgar language. If this was a closed practice, then fine, play whatever kind of music they want to listen to, but since it was open to the public where children will be in attendance, there is a certain amount of discretion that needs to be considered.

If it were me, I believe I would be sending Mr. Whitman a short email explaining what happened and even quoting your grandson, then I would ask him if this can be expected at future open practices or even actual games because I would like to know that when/if I return, whether I should bring my grandchildren with me or leave them at home.

IlliniAD@illinois.edu

orangeswarm76

hastings Nebraska
Cannot believe this thread has turned to this. From a practice to worrying about words in a song, words that kids hear on tv and all around all day long. I have two kids they know what bad words are and know not to say them. It is the world we live in now, regular tv is HBO of old and so on. Now can we talk about the practice. No offense to anyone just a battle that will never be won.

Cannot believe this thread has turned to this. From a practice to worrying about words in a song, words that kids hear on tv and all around all day long. I have two kids they know what bad words are and know not to say them. It is the world we live in now, regular tv is HBO of old and so on. Now can we talk about the practice. No offense to anyone just a battle that will never be won.

The "get off my lawn" crowd is going to be around no matter what. I think we will have a very good week as a fan base and all will be forgotten

I am not looking to pick sides but, I was at an Alabama practice (Friday) and Scrimmage (Saturday) and there was absolutely no music at either one. It was nice to hear the coaches coaching and the signals being called throughout both practice and scrimmage. I honestly don't think music is needed until game day. I am not against it however, If it was up to me I would cut it completely out. I've been to a few Universities and Alabama was the first to not have music at all.

orangeswarm76

hastings Nebraska
:deadhorse: music thing never bothered me grew up to 2 live crew ,NWA, dj quik ,Megadeth , Slayer and I know right and wrong, Anyway those who were there any new names jump out at the practice that looked good other than George ?

2ndGenIllini

Chambana
I am not looking to pick sides but, I was at an Alabama practice (Friday) and Scrimmage (Saturday) and there was absolutely no music at either one. It was nice to hear the coaches coaching and the signals being called throughout both practice and scrimmage. I honestly don't think music is needed until game day. I am not against it however, If it was up to me I would cut it completely out. I've been to a few Universities and Alabama was the first to not have music at all.

The music is played to help simulate a game atmosphere (loud stadium) so players can practice communicating when they can hardly hear each other, and its played at all practices. Profanity is always edited out, maybe they missed one or two on the playlist on saturday, but let's just remember what's important here. :chief:

:deadhorse: music thing never bothered me grew up to 2 live crew ,NWA, dj quik ,Megadeth , Slayer and I know right and wrong, Anyway those who were there any new names jump out at the practice that looked good other than George ?

Kendrick Foster looked like he was running well and had a really nice over the shoulder TD catch on a wheel route. We have a lot of talent at RB, it will be interesting to see who gets the carries after Vaughn.

I thought Freshman QB Eli Peters looked really good. 6-3 210. If I walked into the scrimmage without knowing who any of the QB's were.....i woud've picked Peters as the best of the bunch...smooth release and athletic looking. He just looks like a Big Ten QB. My money is on him once Lunt is gone.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Do we know how many fans attended the open practice?