St Louis Cardinals 2020 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

the national

the Front Range
Just heard a rumor that the proposal includes the DH for the BL in the shorten season as a test run. Is that actually true?

If that happens, you can bet that Manfred will try to get the DH permanetly in the NL beginning in 2021.

And Hummel seems to think that, at least for 2020, that Rangel Ravelo would get a lion's share of those at-bats and could play 1B if they wanna give Goldschmidt a day off but keep his bat in the line-up. He also said he could see some of the OFs rotating through that DH spot as well.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Pardon my ignorance, in the event that there is no baseball this year, would players simply lose a year off of their contracts. So, for instance, Fowler's contract would still expire at the end of 2021. Also, interesting to think about the FA clock for the young players currently making minimum, or whose arbitration clock has started.

Pardon my ignorance, in the event that there is no baseball this year, would players simply lose a year off of their contracts. So, for instance, Fowler's contract would still expire at the end of 2021. Also, interesting to think about the FA clock for the young players currently making minimum, or whose arbitration clock has started.

This is from earlier this month. So it doesn't cover some of the most recent developments.

Per the CBA, service time for younger players is counted by the game. So a shorter - or wiped out - season could extend the time before players on their first contract become free agents. The CBA seems silent what happens with veterans contracts. If any games are played, it probably counts as a year of their contract, but who knows what happens if no games are played.

The March agreement between the players and owners said that one year of service time would accrue regardless of how many games - if any - have been played, but since that article was written, the owners have essentially torn up that March agreement and started negotiations again from scratch.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
With the talk about forcing a DH on the National League, allowing even more teams in the playoffs (thereby making regular season games even less meaningful), and scheduling a higher percentage of interleague games, along with the ongoing disagreements between the players and the owners, I'm becoming more and more in favor of just scrapping the entire season with the hopes of returning to sanity in 2021.

With the talk about forcing a DH on the National League, allowing even more teams in the playoffs (thereby making regular season games even less meaningful), and scheduling a higher percentage of interleague games, along with the ongoing disagreements between the players and the owners, I'm becoming more and more in favor of just scrapping the entire season with the hopes of returning to sanity in 2021.

The younger players need this season more than the high profile guys or the owners do so for their sake's I hope the blustering and posturing comes to an end. The owners and MLBPA rhetoric isn't so much about saving the season as trying to gain an advantage over the other group they are negotiating against. They could come to an agreement today if they put their pride aside. With billions on the line they could take care of all the minor league players, office staff and vendors but greed gets in the way.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
The younger players need this season more than the high profile guys or the owners do so for their sake's I hope the blustering and posturing comes to an end. The owners and MLBPA rhetoric isn't so much about saving the season as trying to gain an advantage over the other group they are negotiating against. They could come to an agreement today if they put their pride aside. With billions on the line they could take care of all the minor league players, office staff and vendors but greed gets in the way.
You make some very good points.

Statement released tonight by Tony Clark:

Eaba6ZNXYAILP8u

The season is meh. I would prefer they all pack it in and walk away instead of the incessant bickering and posturing. Both sides act like they are totally blameless and beyond reproach.

the national

the Front Range
Well, it’s actually happening. Some of the polish has come off with all the bickering. However, when it’s all said and done, I’m glad we’ll get to see some baseball.

Does the shorter season change our strategy in how we use the ro

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
OK, I get the DH, to avoid a Waino type injury for pitchers that may not really be ready (I don't like, but get it). The extra inning rule, where the person that made the last out, gets to start on second to begin the inning? Why not just go home run derby, or play running bases? That is not baseball. Also, is it the person who makes the last out, or the last batter? If a player is forced out at second, is he or the hitter put on second to begin the next inning. What if your #3 hitter his a deep fly, lead off hitter on 3rd tags up, gets thrown out at home for out #3. Does the lead off hitter start on 2nd, and who hits next, 2 hitter or 4 hitter?

IlliniwekKDR

Colorado Springs, CO
OK, I get the DH, to avoid a Waino type injury for pitchers that may not really be ready (I don't like, but get it). The extra inning rule, where the person that made the last out, gets to start on second to begin the inning? Why not just go home run derby, or play running bases? That is not baseball. Also, is it the person who makes the last out, or the last batter? If a player is forced out at second, is he or the hitter put on second to begin the next inning. What if your #3 hitter his a deep fly, lead off hitter on 3rd tags up, gets thrown out at home for out #3. Does the lead off hitter start on 2nd, and who hits next, 2 hitter or 4 hitter?

I'm questioning this, too. I completely understood when they were trying to fit in most of a season in a short amount of time and talked about multiple doubleheaders and such. You can't have 15 inning games in that situation. But when you play 60 games over a normal amount of time, player fatigue isn't nearly the concern it would've otherwise been.

My guess is since it's been talked about as a solution to excessively long baseball games, they just figured this was the best excuse to try it out and see how it works in meaningful pro baseball games.

Well shoot.

In a call with the media on Wednesday, Cardinals President of Baseball Operations John Mozeliak announced that reliever John Brebbia had undergone Tommy John surgery "about three weeks ago" according to Rob Rains of STL Sports Page.

Brebbia will be moved to the injured list and will all but certainly miss the 2020 season, and part of 2021 as well.

According to Rains, Mozeliak said Brebbia had discomfort in his elbow near the end of spring training and further testing in April and May led to the surgery.

Brebbia has been one of the Cardinals' most consistent performers out of the bullpen over the past few seasons, compiling a 3.14 ERA in 175 innings.

In 2019, Brebbia went 3-4 with a 3.59 ERA in 72 innings.

KSDK

Status
Not open for further replies.