St Louis Cardinals 2020 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
We've heard the names, but I haven't heard much about how the virus has affected the players testing positive. Are they mostly asymptomatic or really sick? Theoretically they could be back 8 days after they test positive from what I've read, but missing 2-3 weeks or even longer also seems very possible.

I guess I'm not a big enough baseball fan to feel like games in an almost meaningless season are worthwhile. I'm probably in the minority here.

Lane Thomas is the latest Cardinal to test positive for covid. He and Helsely are roommates so he was considered a probable positive prior to being tested.

Clearly there's one thing left to do at this point:

tenor.gif

the national

the Front Range
Tripple headers for everyone! but seriously, how many doubleheaders would we need to make this work? the season, in effect, is over.

The only possible solution to keep the cards season going is making up as many as possible, and forfeiting the ones that cannot be completed. That's tricky enough to navigate as it is, but what about draft order next year? Seems like there's gotta be a ton of questions here that wont be answered for a while.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
The only possible solution to keep the cards season going is making up as many as possible, and forfeiting the ones that cannot be completed. That's tricky enough to navigate as it is, but what about draft order next year? Seems like there's gotta be a ton of questions here that wont be answered for a while.

Commissioner Manfred believes the Cardinals can still play a "credible season", apparently even if all the missed games cannot be made up. Not sure this silly season with the truncated schedule, no fans, and rule changes was ever really "credible".

Making teams forfeit games can’t be on the table. That could result in teams pushing too fast to get players back on the field. Play as many as you can and winning percentage will be the measurement.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
It looks pretty clear to me that mlb is going to plow through this and the likely scenario is that several teams won't play sixty games. Some playoff spots will have to be determined by winning percentage and not "games back." The expanded playoffs should allow for this without too much controversy imo.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
It looks pretty clear to me that mlb is going to plow through this and the likely scenario is that several teams won't play sixty games. Some playoff spots will have to be determined by winning percentage and not "games back." The expanded playoffs should allow for this without too much controversy imo.
I think winning percentage makes sense, however, there has to be a minimum number of games played. I don't know if that is 45 or 50, but it would be very unfair to have a team 20-18 make the playoffs, because their percentage is better than a 31-29. JMHO.

TMC999

Not Iowa
Making teams forfeit games can’t be on the table. That could result in teams pushing too fast to get players back on the field. Play as many as you can and winning percentage will be the measurement.
Forfeits have to be there. What if the birds go 11-5? And they wrecked every other teams schedules because apparently they & the marlins are using a different playbook? Its only fair if they couldn't get their act together, its their issue. The problem is, do you "exclude" any games they played? How do you level that out? At this point, unless they left their pitchers out there for 7 innings no matter what (even if they get mauled), they still probably would not have enough pitching on the bench. This was their problem - nobody elses.

Willie McGee opting out on the rest of the season over family and health concerns. He suffers from high blood pressure and has three older daughters and five grandchildren living with him in the family home in California.

Waino was pretty funny
In fact, the Cardinals had barely been together as a team in more than a week, even going so far as to drive individual rental cars from St. Louis to Chicago on Friday in an effort to stay apart as long as possible.

It was the first time, Wainwright said, he’d driven himself to a road game since 2000, the year he was drafted by the Braves.

“It was very similar to my summer baseball days back in the day,” he said. “I was thinking maybe Mom would pop around the corner with some orange slices and a Capri Sun to give you some sugar in between games."

MLB.com

Ryllini

Lombard
I was very impressed with the guys today. To have the lay off they have had and come back and win 2 MLB games in one day. The Sox gave gifts to our Birds today, but like I told my die hard Sox fan father in law, the Cardinals rarely beat themselves. I think that is true especially last year and looks like this year as well, with a focus back on pitching and defense.
Also, good to see two rookies get their first career hits today.

Reactions: wpr
Status
Not open for further replies.