St Louis Cardinals 2020 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking about things Lou said. One time he was interviewed during one of the Whitey Ball games in the 80's. With Coleman, Smith and McGee running wild he was naturally asked about stealing bases. He said he wasn't the fastest man in the game but he had the desire. His sliding leg from his hip to his knee was one giant bruise from all the sliding he did. It took a couple of months after the season was over for it to heal. He went on to say a player has to accept that his legs are going to hurt every single day. He finalized by saying not every player is willing to do it. Not every fast runner CAN do it and that's fine. It doesn't make him a bad guy not everyone can hold up to the punishment of a 162 game season and steal all those bases.

unimaroon

Baja Ontario
I have been thinking about things Lou said. One time he was interviewed during one of the Whitey Ball games in the 80's. With Coleman, Smith and McGee running wild he was naturally asked about stealing bases. He said he wasn't the fastest man in the game but he had the desire. His sliding leg from his hip to his knee was one giant bruise from all the sliding he did. It took a couple of months after the season was over for it to heal. He went on to say a player has to accept that his legs are going to hurt every single day. He finalized by saying not every player is willing to do it. Not every fast runner CAN do it and that's fine. It doesn't make him a bad guy not everyone can hold up to the punishment of a 162 game season and steal all those bases.
Over the 11 years from the 1964 season through the 1974 season Lou averaged more than 700 plate appearances per year. He was one tough mathematician.

Reactions: wpr

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Seeing the Cards blow a couple of last inning leads lately, who is the last closer, that when he came in, you knew it was a winner? As I think back through the past 20+ years, there are several with good save percentages, but too much traffic on the bases for me.

Silver Sniper

East Central IL
Seeing the Cards blow a couple of last inning leads lately, who is the last closer, that when he came in, you knew it was a winner? As I think back through the past 20+ years, there are several with good save percentages, but too much traffic on the bases for me.

Lee Smith, Bruce Sutter, Todd Worrell, Jason Isringhausen.

Showing my age. Sorry, I'll show myself out now.....

Lee Smith, Bruce Sutter, Todd Worrell, Jason Isringhausen.

Showing my age. Sorry, I'll show myself out now.....

You had me at Bruce Suter. I still cry about the Ryno Game. Jerk. It should have been the Willie McGee game.

the national

the Front Range
Are we allowed to protest the way Flaherty has been pitching?
I couldn’t turn it off. It was like “oh my goodness. I can’t look at it yet I can’t look away”. At one point after he had been pulled, my wife asked “isn’t there a mercy rule?” I can’t say I’ve ever seen a total collapse like that before. The lane Thomas drop in the outfield was like the icing on the cake. Must have been one of those games. 🤷🏼

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I know that they are "just playing a game", but this past 40 something days must have been exhausting, even for world class athletes. I was getting ready to make a prediction on the final week, but don't want to jinx anything.

Cardinals may have to makeup a doubleheader in Detroit on Monday if the outcome of the game(s) may affect who gets a playoff spot in the National League. If the games will not affect who gets a playoff spot, they will not be played and the Cardinals will be seeded based on winning percentage.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Cardinals may have to makeup a doubleheader in Detroit on Monday if the outcome of the game(s) may affect who gets a playoff spot in the National League. If the games will not affect who gets a playoff spot, they will not be played and the Cardinals will be seeded based on winning percentage.
Thanks for the info. I am guessing that 3 teams from the NL Central will make it. So, 30-28 is .5172 and 31-29 is .5167. So, tied in the standing, if above .500, advantage team that played less games. Below .500, advantage team that played more games. At .500, Cards beat Reds in head to head. Cards vs. Brewers, yet to be determined.

ps- I just looked at today's standings. Can you imagine being the 5 seed, getting the Padres, and after surviving that, being rewarded with the Dodgers? Well, it is better than missing the playoffs. Plus, the Padres do not have a lot of playoff experience. And, the Cards have a pretty good record against the Dodgers in the playoffs, even when they were the higher seed. Never mind, bring them on!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I am guessing that 3 teams from the NL Central will make it. So, 30-28 is .5172 and 31-29 is .5167. So, tied in the standing, if above .500, advantage team that played less games. Below .500, advantage team that played more games. At .500, Cards beat Reds in head to head. Cards vs. Brewers, yet to be determined.

Yeah. The tiebreakers within the division get pretty crazy. If it's just 2 teams, then it's based on head to head. If it's a 3 team tie, then it goes to highest winning percentage against the other two. If all 3 are still tied, then it goes by highest winning percentage in its own division, or intradivision, games.

BillyBob1

Champaign
Yeah. The tiebreakers within the division get pretty crazy. If it's just 2 teams, then it's based on head to head. If it's a 3 team tie, then it goes to highest winning percentage against the other two. If all 3 are still tied, then it goes by highest winning percentage in its own division, or intradivision, games.

if Martinez continues to pitch, it won’t matter.

IlliniFan85

Colorado Springs, CO
Not sure about you guys, but I am loving the new Dylan Carlson. I think his demotion and reset has worked beautifully. Watching him last few games is getting me even more excited about his future.

BillyBob1

Champaign
Not sure about you guys, but I am loving the new Dylan Carlson. I think his demotion and reset has worked beautifully. Watching him last few games is getting me even more excited about his future.

Or as mike Shannon calls him, Die lan.

Be nice if he continues hitting this way. Need someone else to get hot.

the national

the Front Range
Or as mike Shannon calls him, Die lan.

Be nice if he continues hitting this way. Need someone else to get hot.
If he gets hot, we might have a chance. Our pitching is getting tired so hopefully they can hold it together.

Another potential added wrinkle for the Cardinals potential of playing the DH in Detroit on Monday. In addition to being whether they are needed to determine a playoff spot, they could also be played if they are needed to determine the NL Central winner between the Cardinals and Cubs as the games would need to be played to determine home field advantage. Cardinals currently have a better record in NL Central games by percentage points over the Cubs so they would win the division based on that as the teams tied the head to head matchup.

Cardinals can clinch a playoff spot today with a win over the Brewers and a loss by the Phillies at the Rays.

IlliniFan85

Colorado Springs, CO
So... shutout, score 9 runs, and on the verge of another shutout. Yay

This team is amazing. I really dont like our batting philosophy. We have 8 strikeouts tonight, will most likely hit double digits. And the team has no clue how to do situational hitting. Its just frustrating.

the national

the Front Range
It is frustrating. Our batting has been like this for a long time. What the hell happened to small ball? 9 innings of swing and a miss baseball is absolutely no fun.

BillyBob1

Champaign
The worst part about this are the pitchers they are facing. I know they faced Drysdale tonight and Koufax in the first game last night, but this is ridiculous! Look at the 2 they lost to at KC.

unimaroon

Baja Ontario
The worst part about this are the pitchers they are facing. I know they faced Drysdale tonight and Koufax in the first game last night, but this is ridiculous! Look at the 2 they lost to at KC.
Marichal and Spahn?

Phillies lost tonight to the Rays so either a Cardinals win or a Phillies loss tomorrow clinches a playoff spot. If they win tomorrow, they would be the 5 seed and face the Padres in the wild card round.

Status
Not open for further replies.