Suicide Prevention Research

Hello Illinois Loyalty readers!

As some of you may or may not know, I am a doctoral student in counseling psychology. This Saturday at Radford University in Virginia, I am participating in an Out of the Darkness campus walk, associated with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. These events raise awareness and funding for suicide prevention research.

My team has raised $1,185 in less than 7 days, and overall the event has raised $2,705. All donations go directly to suicide prevention research.

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, and in 2014 there was one suicide every 12 minutes. As a psychologist-in-training, I work directly with people affected by suicide and experience suicidal ideation, but I also focus on community outreach, advocacy, and prevention. Additionally, my dissertation research will focus on suicide prevention on university campuses.

If you would like to support my fundraising team and this cause, you can do so by following the link below. A donation of any size would mean a great deal to me.
http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=982794

I thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Ian Evans

Last edited:

riffraff

Peoria
A high school rugby club in Chillicothe near where I live is supporting this same charity with a big event on May 14. Tomorrow happens to be the 1 year anniversary of a girl on the club committing suicide. A terrible tragedy. Everyone get behind this please.

A high school rugby club in Chillicothe near where I live is supporting this same charity with a big event on May 14. Tomorrow happens to be the 1 year anniversary of a girl on the club committing suicide. A terrible tragedy. Everyone get behind this please.

I am truly sorry for your loss. I hope you and those around you will be able to find peace and strength to carry forward and find comfort.

If you have any links for donations or support, feel free to share them here.

I, too, am a survivor of suicide loss. It's an indescribable feeling of hurt, confusion, and sadness. Together we can make a difference.

Last edited:

riffraff

Peoria
I am truly sorry for your loss. I hope you and those around you will be able to find peace and strength to carry forward and find comfort.

If you have any links for donations or support, feel free to share them here.

I, too, am a survivor of suicide loss. It's an indescribable feeling of hurt, confusion, and sadness. Together we can make a difference.
Thank you. The memorial fund page was just put up. http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.personalCampaign&participantID=986666

Reading Alexis' bio breaks my heart for this town. It sounds like she made an incredible impact on anyone who was fortunate enough to share even a brief moment with her. I applaud your efforts to turn tragedy into bring awareness and breaking the stigma.

Ask. Listen. Save. Three words to know which can save a life. I promise to make a donation with my next paycheck.

If you're interested in obtaining any resources, let me know. I'm more than happy to share anything for outreach, messages of hope, counseling services available, etc...

riffraff

Peoria
Reading Alexis' bio breaks my heart for this town. It sounds like she made an incredible impact on anyone who was fortunate enough to share even a brief moment with her. I applaud your efforts to turn tragedy into bring awareness and breaking the stigma.

Ask. Listen. Save. Three words to know which can save a life. I promise to make a donation with my next paycheck.

If you're interested in obtaining any resources, let me know. I'm more than happy to share anything for outreach, messages of hope, counseling services available, etc...

Thank you.

I found this obituary. She really was special.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pjstar/obituary.aspx?pid=174715965

I know at the event the team has planned that they will be having counselors on hand. The high school dedicated this entire week to suicide awareness.

First off I'd like to thank every IL reader who has visited this post and supported me in this cause, be it with kind words or a financial donation.

Radford University has raised $3,495 for suicide prevention research. Individually I have raised $615, with only $135 to go for my $750 goal.

A donation of any size would be greatly appreciated and goes directly to a very important cause. The CDC reported today that suicide rates have continued their rising pace. Donations can be made by following the link below.
http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=982794

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Ian Evans

Final fundraising totals from today:
-Radford University: $4,030
-Counseling Psychology Student Organization:$1,795
-Ian Evans: $760

Simply incredible!

I'd like to thank everyone who supported me in this effort. If anyone is interested in bringing resources for suicide prevention to their campus, community, or workplace, please feel free to send me a message.

Sincerely,

Ian Evans

Hello fellow IL'ers!

As some of you may or may not know, I am a doctoral student in Counseling Psychology at Radford University in Virginia. Tomorrow is RU's "Out of the Darkness" suicide prevention walk, associated with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), of which I am the primary organizer. These walks raise awareness, bring about a sense of community/belonging, and provide funding for suicide prevention research.

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, and in 2015 there was 1 death by suicide every 12 minutes. As a psychologist-in-training, I work directly with people affected by suicide ideation on an almost weekly basis. In addition to my clinical work, I focus on community outreach, advocacy, and prevention programming. Lastly, my dissertation research is focusing on the impact of social support on suicide ideation.

Thus far, I have raised $640 of the walk's total of $3,903.33. My overall goal is to raise $1,000. If you would like to support my fundraising team and this cause, you can do so by following the link below. A donation of any size would mean the world to me. All donations are 100% tax deductible and AFSP has a 4* rating with www.charitynavigator.org (meaning your donation is going to its intended cause).

Donate: https://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=1223630

Thank you for your support and go :illinois:!

Sincerely,

Ian Evans

Last edited:

icengineer

Southern Illinois
:thumb: Keep up the good work! I was able to get you a little closer to your goal.

Last edited:
:thumb: Keep up the good work! I was able to get you a little closer to your goal.

Thank you so very much! From stranger to stranger, it truly means so much.

We've surpassed last year's fundraising total. I'll be sure to update our total as the walk concludes.

Final fundraising totals from the 2017 Radford University walk:
-Radford University: $4,738.33
-Ian Evans: $900

Unbelievable!

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for all of the support I have received in the form of kind words, personal stories, and financial contributions. Donations will be accepted by AFSP through June 30th.

In the U.S., someone dies by suicide every 12 minutes. This cause raises money to develop and implement prevention programs throughout the country, with an end goal to reduce the suicide rate by 20% 2025. Your donation is being put to work.

To conclude, all I can say is thank you. It means the world to me.

With love,

Ian Evans