Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim struck and killed a pedestrian in a highway crash

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Have to wait for more details, but I have to think Boeheim did nothing wrong and this could have happened to anyone. This wasn't on some pedestrian street with someone in a crosswalk. This happened on an interstate, Boeheim was behind another car that was approaching the car that had crashed and likely couldn't see what was going on or the people who were outside the vehicle in the road. He passed all sobriety tests. Sad situation for all involved, would be hard to live with that even knowing you didn't really do anything wrong.

Have to wait for more details, but I have to think Boeheim did nothing wrong and this could have happened to anyone. This wasn't on some pedestrian street with someone in a crosswalk. This happened on an interstate, Boeheim was behind another car that was approaching the car that had crashed and likely couldn't see what was going on or the people who were outside the vehicle in the road. He passed all sobriety tests. Sad situation for all involved, would be hard to live with that even knowing you didn't really do anything wrong.

Sounds like an honest accident. Just an uncomfortable situation.

Everyone's a loser here, but I think the largest fault is simply leaving a car in the middle of a highway and additionally hanging out anywhere close to it - especially in the middle of the night.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Terrible accident. Agree with all....but I will say this, I am continually amazed at how many people don't bother to slow down, possibly stop, or even move over for disabled vehicles on the shoulder or partially obstructing a lane.

On the other side of that, I'm continually amazed at how many people will get out of their car and walk around or change a tire on the shoulder of interstates or highways. It's Russian roulette.

Stay in your car, call AAA or roadside assistance. I can change a tire like a pit boss....but I'll be damned if I'm doing it on the side of the road.

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA
Terrible accident. Agree with all....but I will say this, I am continually amazed at how many people don't bother to slow down, possibly stop, or even move over for disabled vehicles on the shoulder or partially obstructing a lane.

On the other side of that, I'm continually amazed at how many people will get out of their car and walk around or change a tire on the shoulder of interstates or highways. It's Russian roulette.

Stay in your car, call AAA or roadside assistance. I can change a tire like a pit boss....but I'll be damned if I'm doing it on the side of the road.

Heck I've seen a State Trooper in VA changing a tire for a motorist!

Terrible story, but this is someone going on what he thinks is a nearly empty highway at midnight, suddenly confronted by a car in the road. Your first instinct is to swerve away from the car, not to check to see if a person happens to be in the place where you’re swerving.

So sorry for the victim’s family, and, if you’re so inclined, Boeheim can probably use a prayer too.

As noted above, please be careful if you find yourself in a highway breakdown.

I'm sure everyone has their opinion of Boeheim and his teams, but I've always respected him as a sincere guy who tells it like it is. I can't imagine the horror of a situation like this, and wish him and all involved nothing but the best.

The Syracuse PD issued a statement saying, "It was revealed that the victim was an occupant in a vehicle that had lost control on the highway striking a guard rail."
"The occupants then exited the vehicle and proceeded to walk on the highway within close proximity to that vehicle."
"An oncoming vehicle noticed the disabled car and tried avoiding the vehicle which was in the middle of the road. As a result, the driver, James Boeheim 74, of Fayetteville NY struck the victim who was standing on the side of the road."
"Both drivers remained on scene and are cooperating with this investigation. Field sobriety and alco-sensor tests for both drivers were negative for any signs of impairment."
"Reconstruction of the scene will be performed and speeds cannot be determined at this time. No Uniformed Traffic Tickets have been issued at this time."

I don't know Jim Boeheim & I certainly didnt know the deceased but I do know it is not a question of "right or wrong", it is a question of "negligence". Without knowing all the facts it is hard for anyone to say he was or wasnt negligent. I do feel sorry for him & the family of the deceased for what they are going through.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
I don't know Jim Boeheim & I certainly didnt know the deceased but I do know it is not a question of "right or wrong", it is a question of "negligence". Without knowing all the facts it is hard for anyone to say he was or wasnt negligent. I do feel sorry for him & the family of the deceased for what they are going through.
I think negligence would fall under the "wrong" category. I hate these stories, I don't think it should be spread as nationwide news unless it was found that he was driving under the influence or was found to be negligent. According to reports the car crashed and ended up in the middle of the road, the occupants got out and failed to get out of the road. Boeheim was following a car that was approaching the crash so Boeheim likely couldn't see what was ahead of him due to the car in front of him and it being midnight. The District Attorney has already come out and said that it's not expected that he'll face any legal ramifications.

https://sports.yahoo.com/district-a...l-ramifications-fatal-accident-164844373.html

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Don't know the details but two things come to mind:
1) proper following distances matter (I'm looking at you DC metro drivers)
2) you shouldn't drive faster than what your headlights show at night relative to stopping distance, but that can be tough on interstates with ppl cutting in and out of lanes all the time on the east coast.

If you are in an accident on the interstate, especially in poor driving conditions, the absolute best thing you can do is stay in your car and wait for help. Pedestrians on the interstate are extremely dangerous for other drivers but even more so for themselves.

I think negligence would fall under the "wrong" category. I hate these stories, I don't think it should be spread as nationwide news unless it was found that he was driving under the influence or was found to be negligent. According to reports the car crashed and ended up in the middle of the road, the occupants got out and failed to get out of the road. Boeheim was following a car that was approaching the crash so Boeheim likely couldn't see what was ahead of him due to the car in front of him and it being midnight. The District Attorney has already come out and said that it's not expected that he'll face any legal ramifications.

https://sports.yahoo.com/district-a...l-ramifications-fatal-accident-164844373.html
Unfortunately, negligence doesnt fall under the "wrong" category. He can be negligent if it is determined that he was following the car in front of him too closely. It can be deemed negligent if determined that he was going too fast for conditions even if driving under the posted speed limit. The legal ramifications mentioned only apply to criminal charges. Cant really tell if there is any negligence until the accident reconstructionist finishes his investigation.

illini80

Forgottonia

I've done it and frankly it's scary as hell when the semis fly by and the wind almost knocks you over.

I've done it and frankly it's scary as hell when the semis fly by and the wind almost knocks you over.
Now days with cell phones and texting that scares me more than any semi. I have have fought with both my kids about driving and being on thier phones. I think I finally got through to them.

Tragic. Only Boeheim really knows how much attention he was paying.

Now days with cell phones and texting that scares me more than any semi. I have have fought with both my kids about driving and being on thier phones. I think I finally got through to them.

If you ever go down the youtube rabbit hole for driving and crash videos, you'll see endless reminders of how people drive. Not slowing down, not signaling lane changes, not driving predictably, etc. And that's the good ones! There are also of drivers who don't slow down, text, drink, do drugs, get angry and irrational, etc.

A wise cop once told me that in his experience, 90% of the time it takes 2 drivers to cause an accident. Once in a while, one can do it (ever have a tire blow out on the highway?). Try to be the driver that prevents the 90% from getting you involved. Those that take chances aren't just risking their own lives.

I wish I could say I always lived by that mantra, but sometimes I have to remind myself not to get in a hurry.