Syracuse self-imposes postseason ban for this season

I think they chose to go ahead with this for this year as they saw their team struggling and didn't think they'd go far anyway. :)

Wilmette, IL
This is ridiculous. Why punish the current seniors, who have no options? The NCAA should step in and say, "No, you can play tournaments this year if you want, but next year -- no tournaments of any kind, and your players are free to transfer wherever they like and play immediately." That way the program gets punished, but the players have an out if they don't want to accept punishment for something that happened 3 to 5 years ago.

This is ridiculous. Why punish the current seniors, who have no options? The NCAA should step in and say, "No, you can play tournaments this year if you want, but next year -- no tournaments of any kind, and your players are free to transfer wherever they like and play immediately." That way the program gets punished, but the players have an out if they don't want to accept punishment for something that happened 3 to 5 years ago.
Better yet, the NCAA should let them self-ban themselves but then come back and assess a further ban; basically letting Syracuse know they are the ones who get to decide when they are banned and when they are. If that were the case, everyone that had an issue like this would wait until they were having an off season and do the same thing.

Better yet, the NCAA should let them self-ban themselves but then come back and assess a further ban; basically letting Syracuse know they are the ones who get to decide when they are banned and when they are. If that were the case, everyone that had an issue like this would wait until they were having an off season and do the same thing.
Definitely agree. Their self-imposed ban should have no effect on what the NCAA should do. If a kids gets caught cheating in class, their parents are more than welcome to take away allowance for a week, but that punishment would not affect the punishment given by the school or teacher, it would just be additional.

I agree with Dan Dakich though, it would have made more sense to suspend Jim Boeheim from the post season, not the students that had nothing to do with the violations.

I'm very surprised that Syracuse and Jim Boeheim would be involved in unseemly recruiting activities.

Can we update the Slimeball Top 10?

1 Sourpuss Jim
2 Gypsy Larry
3 Bruce Pearl just because
4 Dirty Donny Tyndall
5 Aw Shucks Roy
6 Squid
7 Slick Rick
8 Sneaky Scotty
9 Huggy Bear
10 Frankie Martin

Other receiving votes: Frank Haith, Tim Floyd, Larry Eustachy, Josh Pastner

Hall of Fame: Tark, Sampson, Eddie Sutton, Clem, Dana Kirk, Billy Tubbs, Jim Harrick

Lifetime Acheivement: Dave Bliss

1 Sourpuss Jim
2 Gypsy Larry
4 Dirty Donny Tyndall
5 Aw Shucks Roy
6 Squid
7 Slick Rick
8 Sneaky Scotty
9 Huggy Bear
10 Frankie Martin

Hall of Fame: Tark, Sampson, Eddie Sutton, Clem, Dana Kirk, Billy Tubbs, Jim Harrick

I'm too new to paying attention to college hoops outside of the 40 minutes Illinois is on the court to know who most of these guys are and their transgressions.

Man, I need a history lesson.

Rockford, Illinois
I'm too new to paying attention to college hoops outside of the 40 minutes Illinois is on the court to know who most of these guys are and their transgressions.

1 Sourpuss Jim-Jim Boeheim-Syracuse
2 Gypsy Larry-Larry Brown-SMU (Kansas)
*3 Bruce Pearl just because-Auburn (Tennessee, UWMilwaukee, Iowa) should be moved to #1 Lifetime "Achievement" Award IMHO
4 Dirty Donny Tyndall-Donnie Tyndall-Tennessee
5 Aw Shucks Roy-Roy Williams-North Carolina (Kansas)
6 Squid-John Caliperi-Kentucky (Memphis)
7 Slick Rick-Rick Pitino-Louisville (Providence)
8 Sneaky Scotty-Scott Drew-Baylor
9 Huggy Bear-Bob Huggins- West Virginia (Cincinnati)
10 Frankie Martin-South Carolina (Kansas State)
*11 Steve Alford-UCLA (New Mexico, Iowa)
Other receiving votes: Frank Haith-Tulsa (Missouri, Miami), Tim Floyd-UTEP (USC, Iowa State) Larry Eustachy-Colorado State (S. Mississippi, Iowa State), Josh Pastner-Memphis (Arizona)

Hall of Fame: Tark-Jerry Tarkanian UNLV (Fresno State), Sampson-Kelvin Sampson-Houston (Indiana), Eddie Sutton-(Oklahoma State, Kentucky, Arkansas), Clem Haskins-(Minnesota), Dana Kirk-(Memphis State, VCU), Billy Tubbs-(Lamar, TCU, Oklahoma), Jim Harrick-(Georgia, Rhode Island, UCLA, Pepperdine)

Lifetime Acheivement: Dave Bliss-Oklahoma (SMU, New Mexico, Baylor)
Off the top of my head...

Jim Boeheim Syracuse
Larry Brown SMU Gypsy since he never stays anywhere longer than 3 or 4 yrs. Coached at 3 college programs with recruiting improprieties at all 3.
Donnie Tyndall Tenn coached at MoreheadSt and So Miss with NCAA issues at both places.
Roy Williams UNC with the sham classes he knows nothing about.
Squid is John Calipari 2 FF's DQ'd over cheating
Bruce Pearl lied about Deon Thomas got IL put on probation lied again got his !!! fired at Tenn
Slick Rick Pitino cheats everywhere he goes.
Scott Drew Baylor never met a dark gray area he didn't like.
Huggy Bear Bob Huggins WVA hasn't recruited a player that has graduated yet at 3 different schools.

Lol. This is like if rosie O'Donnell committed a crime, so to make up for it she declared herself ineligible for the miss universe contest.

Good one, Syracuse...

Captain Trips-ville, Planet Houston

1 Sourpuss Jim
2 Gypsy Larry
4 Dirty Donny Tyndall
5 Aw Shucks Roy
6 Squid
7 Slick Rick
8 Sneaky Scotty
9 Huggy Bear
10 Frankie Martin

Dave Bliss: bravo to you. Good list.

Rick $tan$sbury belongs on the list too.

Kirksville, MO
syracuse.com ‏@syracusedotcom NCAA Ruling: Boeheim suspended 9 ACC games, loss of 12 scholarships over 4 years, no further postseason ban http://ow.ly/K1nLO

From the linked article...
The violations go back to 2001, the NCAA ruled.
The school received the report this morning.
The penalties do not include SU forfeiting its 2003 national basketball championship.
The SU basketball program will also have to forfeit an unknown number of wins from the seasons of 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2010-11 and 2011-12.

You have to wonder what will happen to UNC if the NCAA ever gets around to punishing them, especially with this news.

no longer in OK! Centralia, IL
they're down to 10 scholarship players each of the next 4 years... that's a huge hit

That's a lot stress for a 70 year old to handle. If he retires soon, I wonder who would even take the job.

Northbrook
That's a lot stress for a 70 year old to handle. If he retires soon, I wonder who would even take the job.
Given that the expectations would be pretty low, it would be a relatively low stress job at least initially.