Syracuse self-imposes postseason ban for this season

Wow. They didn't even follow their own drug policy because it was "confusing"?

Northbrook
You have to wonder what will happen to UNC if the NCAA ever gets around to punishing them, especially with this news.
I think UNC may have to worry about more than the NCAA. Their issues go well beyond the athletic department.

Deleted member 10676

D
You have to wonder what will happen to UNC if the NCAA ever gets around to punishing them, especially with this news.
There has to be a lot of retching in sinks going on at Chapel Hill about now. Never thought they'd hit Syracuse this bad and Syracuse's issues were nothing compared to UNC.

Golden, IL
Wow. This could destroy SU basketball for the foreseeable future.

I think UNC may have to worry about more than the NCAA. Their issues go well beyond the athletic department.
I agree, their image as an academic institution has been tarnished, which is a shame because UNC is a very good academic institution with many quality professors on the academic side who have/had nothing to do with sports.

Golden, IL
The NCAA ordered SU basketball to lose three scholarships a year for four years, or 12 total, the NCAA ruled.
If I'm reading it right, 4 years from now they will only have 1 scholarship player. Or does this mean that they will have 10 scholarship players for 4 years straight?

Northbrook
Wow. This could destroy SU basketball for the foreseeable future.
If it isn't the death penalty, its pretty close.

Does SU have the opportunity to appeal? If so, we may not know the final outcome, but either way, based on recent NCAA history, SU could be out of the doghouse in a couple of years. Still a penalty even if that happens.

Jamal Murray may now think twice about continuing the Canadian pipeline to Syracuse.

The scholarship reduction doesn't start until for the 2016-17 season, according to Jeff Borzello.

New York
If it isn't the death penalty, its pretty close.

Does SU have the opportunity to appeal? If so, we may not know the final outcome, but either way, based on recent NCAA history, SU could be out of the doghouse in a couple of years. Still a penalty even if that happens.
The only reason I wouldn't think that Boeheim would retire is that he wouldn't want to close his career on such a sour note. Maybe he's determined to struggle through this and get the program back in good stead over the next 5-7 years. With ten scholarships and no post season ban, he can still field a good team. Hard to imagine though. Probably a sad end for a great coach.

New York
Still would probably make a player think twice unless they are a one and done.
He looks like a very possible one and done, but I still don't think I'd want to roll the dice going to a program with major problems. Seems like unless he really really wants to go to Cuse and play for Boeheim, he can find a more appealing option.

The scholarship reduction doesn't start until for the 2016-17 season, according to Jeff Borzello.
That's understandable, they can't force players out, but the real effect is on recruiting.

I agree, their image as an academic institution has been tarnished, which is a shame because UNC is a very good academic institution with many quality professors on the academic side who have/had nothing to do with sports.
#5 public university per US News and World Report

Golden, IL
If I'm reading it right, 4 years from now they will only have 1 scholarship player. Or does this mean that they will have 10 scholarship players for 4 years straight?
To follow-up on this..... Are they losing 12 1-year scholarships or 12 4-year scholarships?

no longer in OK! Centralia, IL
To follow-up on this..... Are they losing 12 1-year scholarships or 12 4-year scholarships?
my understanding is that when the sanctions kick in (which will apparently be the '16-'17 season) they will only be allowed 10 scholarship players per season.

Pretty clear IMO from the article:

The NCAA said three scholarships would be taken away for four seasons from 2015-16 and 2018-19. Syracuse can delay the lost scholarships for a season but only if the school has already executed financial aid agreements with the players.

New York
Syracuse can delay the lost scholarships for a season but only if the school has already executed financial aid agreements with the players.
Interesting. So does that mean that they can't sign anyone new for next year that they haven't already signed?