The Brian Carlwell & Jamar Smith Wreck (with pics) - Jamar charged with DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
D-Ville-30 miles east
Re: Lexus hits tree; driven to apt parking lot

On the Channel 3 news a few minutes ago the crash involved Jamar Smith (driver) and passenger Brian Carlwell. Jamar lost control of the vehicle in the conditions and crashed. He seems to be fine but Carlwell is in critical condition at the hospital right now.

We're praying for you Brian.

Long Live The Chief
Tuscola, IL

Let's all pray Brian will be ok. Jamar was treated and released.

Illini25 said:
Let's all pray Brian will be ok. Jamar was treated and released.
Dang it.......My mind says this cant be true.Brian,we will pray for you and Jamar. The nightmare continues.Who cares about the season,what about our guys.GO ILLINI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I BLEED ORANGE"
Urbana/Winnetka/Naperville, IL

This really puts everything in perspective:

Even the whole Kelvin Sampson thing, if he was in Brian's situation I would be praying for him to make it.

Illinois Basketball Players Injured
Reported by: WCIA-3 News
02/13/2007 07:32am
Illinois Freshman Center Brian Carlwell is in critical condition. His teammate, Sophomore Guard Jamar Smith is also suffered less-severe injuries. University of Illinois Police say Smith was driving a car on First Street when he crossed into another lane and hit a tree. Authorities believe weather contributed to the accident. Carlwell is being treated in Carle Hospital in Urbana.

kingmal said:
Did this happen last night or this morning?
This thread started at 1:10 AM, but the news reported it at 7:30 AM, so I am guessing either very late last night or first thing this morning.

OMG, this is horrible. My thoughts are with Brian and his family. I hope that everything turns out ok.

I'm happy to hear that Jamar is ok but I'm sure that he is very broken up about this situation.

Theyre not saying anything about this on the chicago stations. Channel 9 is the only local news on right now and these goofs are cracking jokes about the weather all day.

"I BLEED ORANGE"

Does anyone have an update on Brian's health?

Banned
Too Far From Assembly Hall

Absolutely right in Brian and Jamar's health is first! We will be praying for these guys, and their families. Big snow storm going through Central Illinois. Pray that Brian's family can make it down quickly and safely. If this were my son, I'd hate for weather to keep me away.

Thanks for the news. You guys, (and gals?) are tremendous.

"I BLEED ORANGE"

when do you guys think we'll for sure know both of their status's?

HOOPDOG said:
This thread started at 1:10 AM, but the news reported it at 7:30 AM, so I am guessing either very late last night or first thing this morning.
NG story said between 11:30 p.m. and 11:45 p.m. which fits with when I saw all the trucks last night.

mdeming said:
NG story said between 11:30 p.m. and 11:45 p.m. which fits with when I saw all the trucks last night.
Our thoughts and prayers should be with both of them.

That 2006 class (Brian and Rich S.) sure has had a tough year. First Rich gets this weird chest contusion that turns into something that puts him in the hospital and out for the year, and now this.

Mdeming, since you were apparently nearby last night (and have seen pictures), are you sure it was a Lexus? Yours is the only report I've seen that mentions that. I'm sure Jamar's parents could be well enough off that he has one, but in light of the whole "smoke and fire" discussion last week, that's not a helpful detail if its not right. It also seems somewhat unlikely in light of the safety equipment in a typical Lexus, the nature of their injuries (head injuires that a good airbag system should mitigate) and the fact that the accident occurred on a city street (i.e where hopefuly they were not going more than 40 miles an hour).

Oh my, this is very bad. I hope everything turns out to be fine for Brian. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Georgia - It was definitely a Lexus (an ES300). A driver and passenger air bag both deployed.

Status
Not open for further replies.