The Brian Carlwell & Jamar Smith Wreck (with pics) - Jamar charged with DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Champaign's Finest
Chicago, IL
Re: The Carlwell & Smith Wreck (with pics)

Stable is much better than critical. Where'd you get your news?

Chief Optimism Officer
Chicago

I think I read that he is stable, and they just want to keep him there to monitor his progress, so I'd imagine he'll move to a non-ICU room sooner than later. Don't ask me where I read that, because I just parused like 100 different sites in the past 5 minutes. Sorry.

This is horrible news. Brian and Jamar -- hang in there, guys. God bless you both, and your families too.

Chief Optimism Officer
Chicago

Brian is a BEAST! Of course he'll get through this!

They probably had a hard time finding his blood type after he arived at the hospital, though. Type-B-Positive-Huge-Monstrous-Shot-Blocking-Wonder is hard to come by. :D

Moeville - LAT 44.688N & LONG -92.527W.

Illinois Basketball Players Injured
Reported by: WCIA-3 News
02/13/2007 12:09pm
Illinois Freshman Center Brian Carlwell has been upgraded to serious condition. His teammate, Sophomore Guard Jamar Smith is also suffered less-severe injuries. University of Illinois Police say Smith was driving a car on First Street when he crossed into another lane and hit a tree. Authorities believe weather contributed to the accident. Carlwell is being treated in Carle Hospital in Urbana.
http://www.illinoishomepage.net/content/fulltext/?sid=8e193f41c91a7ac3e1a7e85392d10229&cid=3971

http://neurology.health-cares.net/concussion-treatment.php
this website gives a good overview of concussions - including the varying degress and their treatment and prognosis - here's a brief summary:
What is a concussion? - Concussion is a trauma-induced change in mental status, with confusion and amnesia, and with or without a brief loss of consciousness.

What're the symptoms of a concussion? - The symptoms of a concussion include severe headache, dizziness, vomiting, increased size of one pupil or sudden weakness in an arm or leg.

How is a concussion diagnosed? - The duration of unconsciousness and degree of confusion are very important indicators of the severity of the injury and help guide the diagnostic process and treatment decisions.

What's the treatment for a concussion? - A grade 1 concussion can usually be treated with rest and continued observation alone. A person with a grade 2 concussion must discontinue sports activity for the day.

What's the post-concussion syndrome? - Post-concussion syndrome (PCS) is a common but controversial disorder that presents with variety of symptoms including headache, dizziness, fatigue, and personality changes.
The website mentions grade 3 - which involves loss of consciousness and is the most severe.

What a shocker. I join with others in praying for Brian's and Jamar's complete recovery.

prayers for Jamar and Brian. were supporting you guys.

A friend and fellow Illini reports the following, but I don't have a link to the news report he mentions:

"The story I just read said that Smith was cited for improper lane change and there could be other charges filed later after further investigation. If there was alcohol involved or speed or something else where Smith is charged with assault on Carlwell for negligent or willful conduct in the operation of the vehicle, that will be a big mess."

I sure hope, for the sake of the players and their families, nothing like the above transpires.

Chief Optimism Officer
Chicago

OrangeFever said:
I sure hope, for the sake of the players and their families, nothing like the above transpires.
I don't even want to imagine. . .

When I was 18 I slid off Duncan road in the snow, thank goodness there wasn't a tree or pole nearby or I would have been in trouble.

Hope Carlwell gets out of this okay :eek:

Dan said:
When I was 18 I slid off Duncan road in the snow, thank goodness there wasn't a tree or pole nearby or I would have been in trouble.

Hope Carlwell gets out of this okay :eek:
Was that just last winter?
KIDDING!! :D

Clinton County

Our thoughts and prayers are with Brian , Jamar and their families. Hopefully thier injuries are not as serious as they first appear. God bless.

What a tough day. Just when things were looking a little brighter, this. I hope Jamar and Brian can make full recoveries. Hard to tell the extent of Brians injuries from what I have read.

I don't think the rest of the season matters much at this point. I just hope the future of these two kids has not in any way been affected.

May God be with them and their families.

Yes, we must first hope for full recovery for Brian, and then hope that charges are not filed and that there are no lingering legal issues. Those kinds of things would only compound the difficulty and prolong a painful experience for everyone.

It's a place with a 35 MPH speed limit where the road curves. My guess is that the car started skidding instead of making the gentle turn, so Jamar overcompensated and they ended up hitting a tree across the street. Hard to explain any other way how the car hit with the passenger side on the left side of the street... I don't see any reason why this would be alcohol-related, just a matter of an inexperienced driver in bad conditions. Poor Jamar must feel really awful right now.

Very glad to hear that Brian has been upgraded, but I'm cautious about getting too optimistic in situations like these. Let's just keep hoping and praying.

The illinibermuda posse is praying for them!!!
The one thing I don't miss about midwest winters is the driving, i think we all have had sliding scares like that!

On behalf of all Hawkeye fans, our hearts and prayers go out to the players and their families.

Fortunately nobody died.

Some of you may recall 14 years ago last January when Hawkeye sensation Chris Street was killed when he pulled out into the path of a snowplow, which had it's shovel lifted and therefore blocked the headlights from being seen.

Those were the darkest of times for Hawkeye and basketball fans everywhere.

Carlwell and Smith are fortunate that they are alive and able to rebound from such a potentially tragic event.

Out of our misery came a rejuvenated team, with a focus on the task at hand. Hopefully your team will be able to do the same.

Rivalries have no place at a time like this. Good luck to your young men.

Those are nasty pics for a 35 MPH zone.

Let's hope all is well for the future of his health first and foremost. Nothing else matters at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.