The Brian Carlwell & Jamar Smith Wreck (with pics) - Jamar charged with DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Carlwell & Smith Wreck (with pics)

Thanks for those thoughts redbird. I appreciate it that the Hawkeyes' fans can put aside the rivalry and focus on these young men and their family.

Hawkeye fans have been down this road before, with a much more devestating outcome.

We are just thankful that things aren't any worse than the news reports have stated.

Godspeed to both Carlwell and Smith, as well as their families.

Count your blessings that this didn't turn out more negatively.

SpeakerOfTheHouseOfPaign
the Quad Cities (East Moline)

redbirdhawk said:
Some of you may recall 14 years ago last January when Hawkeye sensation Chris Street was killed when he pulled out into the path of a snowplow, which had it's shovel lifted and therefore blocked the headlights from being seen.

Those were the darkest of times for Hawkeye and basketball fans everywhere.
a very dear friend of mine, Kevin Skillett, (now Head Coach at Bettendorf IA HS) was a gaurd on that team...times like these definitely transcend simple sports rivalries and put things into perspective

my thoughts and prayers go out to the players and their families

SpeakerOfTheHouseOfPaign
the Quad Cities (East Moline)
Re: Lexus hits tree; driven to apt parking lot

jmwillini said:
Please don't go into the where there's smoke thre's fire thing. ES300 last made in 2003. Models from 92-03.
dont forget that Jamar worked as a car salesman over the summer...im sure he did better than great...i mean who wouldnt buy a car in Champaign in the summer of 2006 from Jamar Smith

With all that has happened to the Illini this season, I just hope that Brian and Jamar come out well from this injury, just like Richard Semrau earlier this season.

With regards to being in the ICU, and being an ICU doctor myself, I would not put much credence in all the reports stating medical conditions from the news media who only hear certain catch phrases and pass them off sounding more serious. True, critical means the condition of the patient CAN change quickly but many patients are listed as critical. Stable means the condition of the patient does not change rapidly. With that being said, a newborn baby can technically be listed as critical and unstable while a dead person can be listed as stable but not critical. What is more important is the hemodynamic status of the patient. Are they in the ICU because they need more close monitoring, are they intubated, are they on vasopressors and inotropes to keep their heart and lungs working, etc, etc.

Head injuries are notoriously difficult to monitor but the mainstay of initial monitoring is a scale known as the Glasgow Coma Scale which measures parameters based on eye movements, verbalization, and body movements. Based on these, the decision is quickly made whether the patient can protect their airway and avoid aspiration (drowning in their vomit) or needs to be intubated. If not intubated (sounds like the situation Brian is in), the proper algorithm is to transfer to a medical facility (hopefully a Level I trauma center, I believe Carle is a Level II) and have a CT of the head to rule out bleeding (internal or external), air entry into the cranium (indicative of a fracture where air enters the head and can cause a mass-pressure effect), or generalized edema (bleeding and air entry require emergent surgery to correct the situation before permanent damage occurs and is normally done immediately, or within hours of the injury). Each finding has their own branch on the decision making tree but follow-up CT scans are usually indicated to follow progression and to see if there are changes that may require intervention.

Without seeing the scans, examining the patient, or talking to the doctors, we can do nothing but speculate. I just hope the information I gave the other members can help put their fears to ease and we can do nothing but hope and pray for the best.

Chief Optimism Officer
Chicago

That was top-notch, WestCoast. Thanks.

And here all this time I thought "intubate" had something to do with pulling someone on an inflatable raft behind a speeding boat. :eek:

Re: Lexus hits tree; driven to apt parking lot

FightingIllinut said:
dont forget that Jamar worked as a car salesman over the summer...im sure he did better than great...i mean who wouldnt buy a car in Champaign in the summer of 2006 from Jamar Smith
Just to add to this conversation, I have owned a few ES300's. The Lexus in the picture has an antenna. I owned a 1994, which also had an antenna. My second, a 1998, did not have an external antenna. It's reasonable to assume a college student could afford a 10+ year old luxury vehicle. Besides, they're great vehicles. I have never owned anything more reliable, which is exactly what a college student on a budget ought to be looking for.

Who ever made the comment about Jamar owning a Lexus being suspicious ought to think things through before jumping to conclusions.

bonick03 said:
That was top-notch, WestCoast. Thanks.

And here all this time I thought "intubate" had something to do with pulling someone on an inflatable raft behind a speeding boat. :eek:
Hmmmm, speeding boat...inflatable raft...someone in raft...sounds like a shoulder sprain, cervical fracture, hip disarticulation, etc. waiting to happen. Hopefully, I will NEVER see you in the ER someday.

Southeast IL

WestCoastFan said:
With regards to being in the ICU, and being an ICU doctor myself,...
I am not a doctor, but a paramedic. and I agree with what you said. we have taken in patients with a GI bleed, that after an upper endoscope, cauterize an ulcer, and go home a day later. but before the endoscope they are listed as critical due to blood transfusions. and then we have taken in people shot in the head, with no brain function other than brain stem fuction telling the body to breathe, and heart to beat, but are listed as stable.

and Carle Foundation hospital is a level 1 trauma center. it is the only one in central Illinois besides Springfield(there it rotates every year between Springfield Memorial and St. Johns), and Peoria.

I have taken someone to Carle once, but being in southeast Illinois, most people here needing level 1 trauma center are airlifted to Barnes-Jewish hospital in St. Louis, or St. Louis Childrens if it is a child.

Last edited by a moderator:

WestCoastFan said:
Hmmmm, speeding boat...inflatable raft...someone in raft...sounds like a shoulder sprain, cervical fracture, hip disarticulation, etc. waiting to happen. Hopefully, I will NEVER see you in the ER someday.
We intubate like crazy all summer long (well, the kids and their friends do; I drive) and none of that jazz happens. We haven't lost anybody yet! :p

Just got home and was cking in on Jamar's and Brians status.I just hope you both are ok and I will pray for both of you.I dont believe there should be any specualtion of criminal activity or even mentioned, it just clouds the water and takes away from the main focus and that is their health..Let the facts speak for themselves and right now we pray for the two of them.Get well guys and GO ILLINI!!!!!!!!!

Terrible news, terrible day. My prayers are with Brian, poor guy, what a thing to go through..
Thanks for the updates everyone.

Charleston, SC

I heard from family that on the news in Champaign said Carwell had to have surgery. Can anyone confirm this detail?

fightingillini fan 4-ever said:
Just got home and was cking in on Jamar's and Brians status.I just hope you both are ok and I will pray for both of you.I dont believe there should be any specualtion of criminal activity or even mentioned, it just clouds the water and takes away from the main focus and that is their health..Let the facts speak for themselves and right now we pray for the two of them.Get well guys and GO ILLINI!!!!!!!!!
It's in the papers.

Navy_Illini said:
I heard from family that on the news in Champaign said Carwell had to have surgery. Can anyone confirm this detail?
WCIA news didn't say anything about that, but maybe there was some other news source that reported that.

Charleston, SC

zogillinifan said:
WCIA news didn't say anything about that, but maybe there was some other news source that reported that.

Good I figured they mis heard something.

illynifan34 said:
What's in the papers? I'm confused.
Mention of a police investigation. I doubt they'll find anything except weather conditions, an unplowed road, and an inexperienced driver; my guess is that it's being put in headlines by newspapers who read only the AP feed, which somehow fails to mention the inclement weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.