The G League

Jalen Green getting $500k to play in the G League makes me think there's a lot better chance Kofi is gone. If he gets $200k and doesn't have to focus on classes and can focus 24/7 on hoops, not sure if there's any incentive to stay outside of degree.

Krombopulos_Michael

Aurora, Illinois (that’s a suburb of Chicago)
Jalen Green getting $500k to play in the G League makes me think there's a lot better chance Kofi is gone. If he gets $200k and doesn't have to focus on classes and can focus 24/7 on hoops, not sure if there's any incentive to stay outside of degree.
I don’t think that type of contract is available to everyone. Mainly geared towards the elite prospects forgoing playing in college.

I don’t think that type of contract is available to everyone. Mainly geared towards the elite prospects forgoing playing in college.
Don't disagree on the $500k, but I can see the NBA making a move at the NCAA right now and trying to get a ton of players that aren't quite NBA ready, but are minor league ready. I hope it doesn't happen, but the NBA may be looking at the MLB and decide that's a model they want to go with.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Are there any stats on G league turnover from year to year? Just wondering how many new players come in each year.

That’s a good quote. And money behind it now. I can see high schoolers feeling out the G League before deciding on college.

President of the G league really selling it. And to be fair, they've made significant improvements.

Just let kids go to the NBA after high school if they want to. This would fix so many issues. The G league is a joke, if that’s what they want to do, go for it lol.

sacraig

The desert
Just let kids go to the NBA after high school if they want to. This would fix so many issues. The G league is a joke, if that’s what they want to do, go for it lol.

1. They are already planning to do away with the one and done rule, so kids will soon be able to go straight to the NBA again.
2. The G League really isn't a joke anymore except for it's dumb name.

It’s probably a win win for players and teams. Players get paid a fairly substantial salary that’s the goal. Teams get to see a season against higher level competition; less risk for GMs during draft from public perception, and don’t have to waste a roster spot/ practice spot on a player 1-2 years away, hopefully.

Goal for all minor league teams is for players/coaches to get to the big show, imho.

Kendrick Nunn got himself in The League through playing in the G League. He was solidly in the Rookie of the Year race, too.

1. They are already planning to do away with the one and done rule, so kids will soon be able to go straight to the NBA again.
2. The G League really isn't a joke anymore except for it's dumb name.
I’m saying it’s a joke because nobody follows it, at all. I’m not saying they don’t do a good job developing players. If you want recognition and to be on tv playing basketball then College is the right route. If you are good enough and don’t care about that then hit the G league and don’t even bother with the recruiting process.

I’m saying it’s a joke because nobody follows it, at all. I’m not saying they don’t do a good job developing players. If you want recognition and to be on tv playing basketball then College is the right route. If you are good enough and don’t care about that then hit the G league and don’t even bother with the recruiting process.

This is my sentiment as well. Hardly anyone watches the NBA and fewer watch the G league.

sacraig

The desert

Okay, but what is the point of being on TV at that point if the ultimate goal is to be trained to the point of making the NBA? The point of TV used to be exposure for players, but if you are literally in the NBA's dev system, you already have that exposure. The only advantage anymore is that the TV exposure can help them build a public name for themselves which may net sponsor deals in the future. On the other hand, G Leaguers get paid (albeit not much) legally, which is a plus in that column.

It's not a no-brainer.

Okay, but what is the point of being on TV at that point if the ultimate goal is to be trained to the point of making the NBA? The point of TV used to be exposure for players, but if you are literally in the NBA's dev system, you already have that exposure. The only advantage anymore is that the TV exposure can help them build a public name for themselves which may net sponsor deals in the future. On the other hand, G Leaguers get paid (albeit not much) legally, which is a plus in that column.

It's not a no-brainer.
The only thing the G league has that is more of a benefit than college basketball is the legal money, that’s it. The trainers or coaches in the G league aren’t any better than the trainers or coaches at Duke or any other top 25 caliber team in college basketball. If you don’t want to go to class and would rather make money in a developmental league then go to the G league.

Eh, if you are in a career path where you will be lucky to still be collecting a paycheck at 30, I understand the incentive to maximize your earnings as much as possible. If one isn't independently wealthy, one may see the college experience as a luxury. I also wouldn't be thrilled with giving up a decent portion of my prime earning years to enrich coaches/ADs/NCAA execs, etc. to the tune of millions of dollars for the sake of experiences. Experiences are all great and grand, but at the end of the day, bills need to be paid.

Wonder if the virus is entering the commits minds regarding the season. Sounds like campuses may be shut in the fall, if so, unfortunately likely no hoops. May be competing with football in the spring. Hopefully all returns to semi-normal, but who knows. Not sure if G league would be more likely to be playing.

Hopefully the Iowa game I was able to see is not the last game with fans for a very long time. Stay safe everyone and GO ILLINI!

Wonder if the virus is entering the commits minds regarding the season. Sounds like campuses may be shut in the fall, if so, unfortunately likely no hoops. May be competing with football in the spring. Hopefully all returns to semi-normal, but who knows. Not sure if G league would be more likely to be playing.

Hopefully the Iowa game I was able to see is not the last game with fans for a very long time. Stay safe everyone and GO ILLINI!
I thought the same thing.If there's no college season next year may as well find a place to get paid.

No one watched the G-League up until now, but if it suddenly had the best prospects, that might change. I bet a lot more folks would have seen Greensboro Swarm games in 2018 if Zion Williamson was playing for them...

i live like 5 minutes from where the austin spurs play. I’ve been here 10 years. Been to about 5 games. I’d go more but the Austin area is not a basketball place so crowds at any basketball event kinda suck. It’s painful to be there and see guys who I remember from their college days and really enjoy seeing but nobody else is really there to help create an atmosphere.

The G league "development" system up to now has been weak; in its history it has only produced about a dozen NBA draft picks and only one first rounder. Salaries were only around $35k, IIRC. Not attractive to five-star HS talent.

This new Professional Pathway that Green signed up for is a whole different deal. It is going to be a unique "Elite" team populated mainly with top-level kids in their first year out of school, supplemented by vets. It will not play a full G League schedule. Rumor is that Green is getting paid $500k, has the opportunity to sign endorsement deals, and he won't have to go to class. Not a bad deal in comparison to going one-and-done at Kentucky or spending a season in Australia. I imagine this is just a bridge program for a year or two until the one-and-done rule gets eliminated.

I'm all for getting the one-and-dones out of the college game. I feel like a well developed G League can allow for a similar structure to baseball.

I don't understand why the baseball format isn't compatible with the NBA. Is it because minor league basketball hasn't been incubated as small town piece of Americana like minor league baseball has? The minor league baseball games Ive been to have been so charming. It seems like the NBA would have a hard time cultivating a similar sentiment. Is that preventing it from taking off?