The G League

Deleted member 29907

D
This could be right but is going to be very difficult to prove. Plenty of good coaches have come out of the G League, particularly relative to its lifespan. Nick Nurse and Dave Joerger being two that quickly come to mind.
Not sure it would be difficult to prove, but clearly there is subjectivity involved. And it's also a relative compare. If the ultimate criteria is who can develop players to get to THE league - that is clearly different than who is the best Xs and Os coach type criteria. I would imagine the NBA wants the former type coach at the G League level, yet that coach may be there with a motive to be a game coach and not just a developer guy so he can make it to the league.

This most recent season, 33% of NBA players had been in the D/G League at some point. That’s been an upward trend since it was founded.

The NBA is gradually turning it into a full-fledged minor league. My prediction is that eventually the assumed path is that everyone other than the sure-fire, top-flight lottery picks are going to be playing in the G League for at least a half season before they find a permanent spot on the big league roster.

Jumping straight from HS to G League for the top ~5% of players will also become more and more common.

Deleted member 8896

D
This most recent season, 33% of NBA players had been in the D/G League at some point. That’s been an upward trend since it was founded.

The NBA is gradually turning it into a full-fledged minor league. My prediction is that eventually the assumed path is that everyone other than the sure-fire, top-flight lottery picks are going to be playing in the G League for at least a half season before they find a permanent spot on the big league roster.

Jumping straight from HS to G League for the top ~5% of players will also become more and more common.
If 33% of NBA players were in the GLeague at one point or another it is the 9-12 slots of team players that never play in a game anyway. Not only do I never go to the GLeague games here in Dallas but I dont know anyone that does either. For an added deterrent 80% of the GLeague games are scheduled on the same nights the dallas Mavericks are playing nba games. They don’t market real basketball fans but cater to kids 10 & under with carnival games and mascots.