The Illinois AD Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Sean is unpersuasive. Not only is fundraising a big issue, but so are connections and experience. The AD is a coach's boss. Generally good coaches want to work for someone they know and trust - not an untried young guy who's just passionate about Illinois. Kowalczyk would be a better candidate. I would hope this University isn't that dumb.

IlliniOX08

Bucktown, Chicago
Sean is unpersuasive. Not only is fundraising a big issue, but so are connections and experience. The AD is a coach's boss. Generally good coaches want to work for someone they know and trust - not an untried young guy who's just passionate about Illinois. Kowalczyk would be a better candidate. I would hope this University isn't that dumb.

Yea basically Sean's message is: Tom Michael, because there's zero chance he'd ever leave Illinois. Ever.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Maybe I'm naïve, but I just don't think we are that dumb. I'm sure we will have interest from quality ADs with way more experience who will push Michael's resume to the bottom of the pile.

So I know that his name came up repeatedly in the coaching search thread and was shot down for obvious reasons, but I wonder if there's any chance we'd look at Jim Tressel for AD.

Not sure if he'd be interested in leaving his University President gig at Youngstown State, but if he's really done coaching, maybe he'd still like to be at least tangentially involved with B1G football. He's got university administrative experience and was actually AD back at Youngstown in the 90's along with FB coach. I'd trust him to hire a good coach.

It'd be a heck of a lot more inspiring than Michael. And it'd be a serious swing by the UI administration that we're going to take football seriously again. I'd say he's worth a look.

I would hope this University isn't that dumb.

It's the easiest choice for them to make. Pleases the "stakeholders" (AKA, all the self-interested hangers-on) and provides all the baked-in soundbites for the presser about his being an "Illini guy." That's how Wilson and Killeen want to spin this thing, which we already know that from their previous statements. Moreover, this group is all about the path of least resistance. Michael is an automatic yes and he will agree to any terms and conditions they put in front of him. Based on that, I'd say Michael is the clear frontrunner here, with odds around 3 to 2. Any other option is just simply more work.

So I know that his name came up repeatedly in the coaching search thread and was shot down for obvious reasons, but I wonder if there's any chance we'd look at Jim Tressel for AD.

Not sure if he'd be interested in leaving his University President gig at Youngstown State, but if he's really done coaching, maybe he'd still like to be at least tangentially involved with B1G football. He's got university administrative experience and was actually AD back at Youngstown in the 90's along with FB coach. I'd trust him to hire a good coach.

It'd be a heck of a lot more inspiring than Michael. And it'd be a serious swing by the UI administration that we're going to take football seriously again. I'd say he's worth a look.

Tresses did recommend Beckman to Thomas, so I am not necessarily sold on his ability to hire a good football coach.

Deleted member 569417

D
Maybe I'm naïve, but I just don't think we are that dumb.
Yet years and years of data should make you think otherwise!

I'm sure we will have interest from quality ADs with way more experience who will push Michael's resume to the bottom of the pile.
I don't think it's a question of would we have interest from quality ADs. I think it's a question of - are we willing to seek out quality ADs. And, I think we know the answer to that...

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
if Michael is the easiest choice for them to make, then chances are pretty good they'll make it. They already have a record of making the easiest choices, not the right ones.

EJ33

San Francisco
Tom Michael would also be cheap. Some people involved in the search might like that.

EJ33

San Francisco
Tresses did recommend Beckman to Thomas, so I am not necessarily sold on his ability to hire a good football coach.

Yeah, we should judge Tressel, and Urban Meyer too, for their positive references on Tim Beckman. They are terrible at evaluating coaches.

We also need to make sure that we always ask our competitors what to do before we hire anybody. And the competitor references should be the main selling points at the introductory press conference.

Kramer

Des Moines, Iowa
Negativity reigns... it does with me too but is it a defense mechanism?

I am 53 yo, grew up in Quad Cities (Illinois side) and graduated from Quincy HS and watched the great Douglas teams play. served all over the world in the Army and have always worn Illini gear and followed them closely. The day they announced Cubit's two year deal was the worst day as an Illini fan, not because i think he is a complete failure. But because it sucked the hope out of me and I know, for the most part what we are getting and what it looks like.

At least with a new coach, no matter who it is I don't really know what the on field product looks like and there is the possibility of a good product. With this regime I don't have those feelings whatsoever.

We are in the process right now of one last huge push for Rick George

Hilarious. More like, "We are in the process right now" of trying to book a conference room for the search committee to hold their first meeting. They were thinking the big one over at Everitt Lab but apparently the Pre-Dental Society had already locked it down for their holiday party on the night the search committee members were all free to meet, so now they're making a push to get one of the multimedia rooms in the southwest wing of the Illini Union. Updates to follow.

Hilarious. More like, "We are in the process right now" of trying to book a conference room for the search committee to hold their first meeting. They were thinking the big one over at Everitt Lab but apparently the Pre-Dental Society had already locked it down for their holiday party on the night the search committee members were all free to meet, so now they're making a push to get one of the multimedia rooms in the southwest wing of the Illini Union. Updates to follow.

I never said anything about Rick George being on board and coming to Illinois. I simply gave the information that we are making one last push for him. We have a couple of our biggest donors meeting with him early this week. I'm no happier about this situation than you are. Frankly, I don't care if you believe my information or not.

BZuppke

Plainfield
As I suggested several pages ago, we have the official process and possibly the unofficial process. I would guess Victory is providing info on the unofficial process. If successful, George would be then sent through the official process for rubber stamping.

As I suggested several pages ago, we have the official process and possibly the unofficial process. I would guess Victory is providing info on the unofficial process. If successful, George would be then sent through the official process for rubber stamping.

If successful, screw the official process and get it stamped before he changes his mind

I never said anything about Rick George being on board and coming to Illinois. I simply gave the information that we are making one last push for him. We have a couple of our biggest donors meeting with him early this week. I'm no happier about this situation than you are. Frankly, I don't care if you believe my information or not.
It's not a question of whether I believe you. It's a question of whether I believe this:

“There has been a lot of speculation out there that I will be considered for the athletic director position at the University of Illinois. While it is flattering that my name has been connected to the Illinois job, I believe it is due to Illinois being my alma mater and others pushing my name publicly. Should Illinois contact me, again that would be both humbling and flattering, but I would gracefully decline because Colorado and Boulder is my home for the foreseeable future.” Rick George, November 19, 2015.

This day and age, every public figure is practiced in the art of the non-denial denial. That was an unequivocal denial denial. Influential people can make all the unofficial pushes they want. It's not happening.

If successful, screw the official process and get it stamped before he changes his mind

The official process is all that some people believe in. It is their pagan religion. It is P C.

They may still hire Tom Michael even with Rick George having agreed to come through the unofficial process.

Listen, as long as we haven't made a decision, let these crazies beg George to their heart's content.

But if I hear one freaking word about how "We would have gotten George IF" in two years time I will flip my lid. This entire charade was conducted to give certain elements a chance to deliver a certain candidate and they failed. No excuses, support the next guy.

I say this of course because I am absolutely sure that will not be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.