The Illinois AD Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10676

D
It was mentioned before in this thread, but where in the hell are the journalists asking these relevant and pointed questions that we are asking in here?

they aren't doing interviews with those kind of journalists. it's why there was no presser about Cubit's hiring.

So we only get shill pieces that they want us to hear or on the other end of the spectrum, mocking articles. Disheartening, yet not surprising.

A few things from this article stood out for me.

First, that there is absolutely zero acknowledgement that there needs to be any urgency concerning any of these decisions, as if it's the norm to drag this out for months or even a year or more. And complete tone-deafness to the fact the fanbase is going to be highly displeased with this unnecessarily leisurely pace. Do any of these people get that 16 months is not an acceptable waiting period for them to get around to naming the real permanent head coach? Yet it's all shrugged off with, "Meh, this is how this kind of stuff unfolds." Uh, actilually, no. Weeks typically. Not years.

Second, Wilson's comment that they "haven't worked out the details yet" of the buyout or if there will even be one. That's the whole point of their asinine two-year contract. How was that not the first thing worked out?

Third, that Killeen describes the Cubit decision as "well thought out" when meanwhile, they never even explored the option of looking to Kowalczyk to find a head coach, haven't even decided on forming the search committee that will "get [them] a short list of people that will be phenomenal" for the AD, and can't set any kind of time table for accomplishing anything. What indications are there that any of this was thought out at all?

Fourth, Killeen's curious comment that the team under Cubit "has been competitive in all the games that I've watched." Huh? We were blown out in four of our seven losses, literally a third of the games we played in this year.

Fifth, Killeen's utterly clueless statements that he Is "very much looking forward to next season and the recruitment that coach Cubit will be able to undertake next year," and also his statement that "This is a time of rebuilding ..." You just committed the program to at least 12 more months of interim head coaching. By necessity you've postponed the start of any rebuilding for at least a year. Dude, what are you talking about?

Lastly, Wilson's rather sorry comments about her process of learning what the criteria for a good AD should be, like she's trying to find a quality caterer for her daughter's wedding.

There's more embedded in there, I could go on. But I just hope the folks who thus far have viewed this a reasonable decision made by informed people who understand the world of major college football are taking note of this stuff. There is nothing about these comments that give you any confidence these decision makers have any clue what to do here. It comes off as amateur hour in the worst way and confirms all of our worst fears.

Last edited:
My heart aches from all of this. When does the madness stop? Just when it seems like we've hit rock bottom... another gem of a quote drops.

[Serious] - as a diehard fan.. is there anything we can do? An email or a letter only goes so far. I'm not moneybags Khan. So is the only thing left to do to sit back and watch this whole thing burn down?

Sigh...

My heart aches from all of this. When does the madness stop? Just when it seems like we've hit rock bottom... another gem of a quote drops.

[Serious] - as a diehard fan.. is there anything we can do? An email or a letter only goes so far. I'm not moneybags Khan. So is the only thing left to do to sit back and watch this whole thing burn down?

Sigh...

I am right there with you. I wrote an email to Paul Kowalczyk and Barbara Wilson expressing my displeasure with the process and the decisions they are making, but I'm sure they won't respond. I don't know what else to do.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Given all the turmoil going on, I thought this Forbes article was a good read. Mostly just interview responses from university presidents (including Michigan St. and Butler) regarding how they interact with their athletic programs.

217sports

Springfield
This leadership is truely a joke all around. I am baffled by the lack of urgency and it seems as if the academic side of things do not understand that the athletic side is not on the same upper level field as them. Absolutely embarrassed to be associated with this university currently.

Given all the turmoil going on, I thought this Forbes article was a good read. Mostly just interview responses from university presidents (including Michigan St. and Butler) regarding how they interact with their athletic programs.

Nice article. It's painfully evident UI leadership doesn't fully understood this:

"Presidents simply can’t treat the athletics department as just another university unit, because the consequences of a misstep are far greater where all eyes congregate."

I just got an email from the university about "Giving Tuesday" asking me for money. I'm very, very tempted to send one back saying that "While not giving my hard earned money to this laughingstock of a university is "not ideal" I don't think it will be a "dagger to the heart" of this once proud school, and I really don't think I have anything to be "fundamentally ashamed of". Now, if you were asking for money specifically to give PR lessons to all of our interim leaders, or to maybe actually hire ones who already know what the hell they are doing I might be able to consider donating. But as of right now I have no confidence that any money I would give would be put to good use. Perhaps in 2 years I'll be in a more financially stable place in my life. Perhaps this was a bad week for you guys to ask for money, good luck with that."

I just got an email from the university about "Giving Tuesday" asking me for money. I'm very, very tempted to send one back saying that "While not giving my hard earned money to this laughingstock of a university is "not ideal" I don't think it will be a "dagger to the heart" of this once proud school, and I really don't think I have anything to be "fundamentally ashamed of". Now, if you were asking for money specifically to give PR lessons to all of our interim leaders, or to maybe actually hire ones who already know what the hell they are doing I might be able to consider donating. But as of right now I have no confidence that any money I would give would be put to good use. Perhaps in 2 years I'll be in a more financially stable place in my life. Perhaps this was a bad week for you guys to ask for money, good luck with that."

Do it.

Let us envision three scenarios, all of which assume that there will not be a new AD by the end of the year (because it seems fairly obvious at this point that there will not be one). At this point, it is too late to hire a football coach for a new AD when he arrives.

1.) Try to hire a new head coach with the interim AD. While some people say that this is how Illinois hires the man to lead us to a future of continuos 6-9 win seasons, I would say that with as many vacancies as are available, this is a gamble at best. Best case scenario, you hire someone like Dino Babers and you achieve that desired result. Worst case scenario, you hire someone who is not a very good coach and picks you only because they were not in line for jobs like Mizzou, South Carolina, Miami, USC, etc. You have four more years of results similar to Beckman, and the AD job becomes less attractive to potential candidates who do not like the hire. Additionally, this could immediately saddle the school with another big potential buyout if the AD is not happy.

2.) Extend Cubit for 3-5 years. While this may seem like the "consistency" that most people are arguing for, it would also seem that most Illini fans feel that 3-5 years of Cubit would likely bring several more five or six win seasons with an offense that is not very inspiring. Best case scenario, five years of six or seven wins followed by retirement. Worst case scenario, things fall back to three to five win seasons and the program fades back into total irrelevancy or a buyout is once again on the books.

3.) Extend Cubit for 2 years. In reality, a two year extension is almost certainly a one year extension with a low second year buyout unless he achieves something incredible next season. It is low cost and allows total flexibility for the next AD. While it is fairly likely the vegas o/u for wins next season will be around 4, one must remember that the same odds were given to the Illini this year, and they ended up almost reaching six regular season wins. Some arguments against this are that recruiting will fall off, but the past few classes have all been 10-12th in the conference anyways and it is only one class. Additionally, people are saying many will transfer and the staff will leave, but most of the players seem to like Cubit better than Beckman, and it's not as if the current staff is exactly full of the Vince Lombardi types. Best case scenario, a year of clear improvements, followed by a 3-5 year extension on top of the current second year of the contract so he can recruit with a better backing behind him. Worst case scenario, three games are won, fans are disinterested, and then a new coach is hired by the new AD and things move forward with a total cleaning of house. And if Beckman can take the team from 2 wins to 6 in three years, I think it wouldn't take much to achieve the same results by the new coach.

Just my $.02

:thumb:This ....if the third option is anywhere near reality I am still
oldbutinterested

Buahahahaha IlliniCaboose. You should send such a letter, but be forewarned that the 'interim' leadership doesn't have an ounce of intelligence so no one will understand.

Sas

S
It could be worse!

Try being an Illini and Browns fan. Two most dysfunctional programs in all of sports, with not much hope!

In reading this article and see the Photos of the Presidents...i see now why Dinardo does so well at Sparty. if he does not Lou Ann WILL KICK HIS !!!. she looks kind of tough.

Deleted member 19448

D
When does the ECI media ever ask a tough question?

It was mentioned before in this thread, but where in the hell are the journalists asking these relevant and pointed questions that we are asking in here?

The only real biting analysis I have heard in this ordeal is from Jeremy Werner & he isn't a "mainstream" (TV/Newspaper journalist). I like to read Tupper & some of the others, but the difference between them and big city journalism is night & day.

This whole process is really sucking my interest in Illini sports. I'll always watch, but it isn't worth getting upset over individual games when you know deep down that the admin does not aspire to greatness. It is sad in a way but also cathartic in a way.

I don't read his hidden behind the paywall stuff but Werner is a fantastic follow on Twitter in my opinion. He's very honest and pretty much have a hard time disagreeing with any of his tweets regarding the program.

I'd let them know that you intend to hire a permanent financial planner and that only a permanent financial planner can make decisions about charitable donations. You expect to see progress by the end of this week on forming a committee that you hope can get you a list of people that will be phenomenal. You're talking to a lot of people about what criteria are important for a financial planner and are learning a lot. You're not putting a strict time frame on any of that but there seems to be a good amount of interest in whether you will donate money or not, and that's healthy. Sure, you could just make a decision now but that's not the way things should unfold.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Best we can hope for is some smart and athletic minded stakeholders are on the committee. Sometimes crisis is good as it wakes people up. I hope.

I'd let them know that you intend to hire a permanent financial planner and that only a permanent financial planner can make decisions about charitable donations. You expect to see progress by the end of this week on forming a committee that you hope can get you a list of people that will be phenomenal. You're talking to a lot of people about what criteria are important for a financial planner and are learning a lot. You're not putting a strict time frame on any of that but there seems to be a good amount of interest in whether you will donate money or not, and that's healthy. Sure, you could just make a decision now but that's not the way things should unfold.

Well played.

While Illinois has a 5-7 record this season under Cubit, Killeen said it's not "anything to be fundamentally ashamed of. Of course, we want to win the Big Ten."

"I would make the case that the team has been competitive in all the games that I've watched," including Saturday's loss to Northwestern, he said.

"I'm very much looking forward to next season and the recruitment that coach Cubit will be able to undertake next year," Killeen said. "This is a time of rebuilding, and we've got great leaders in place. And I'm very comfortable with where we are right now."

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...d-ui-chancellor-we-needed-some-stability.html

giphy.gif

I've got good news and I've got bad news.

The good news is that Illinois athletics will, within a year's time, be run entirely by a new Chancellor and a new Athletic Director. Killeen's "leadership" of this situation has been an embarrassment to him and the University, but it has clearly demonstrated that he has zero interest in involving himself in campus-level issues, so at least when we have a new Chancellor, we'll probably never hear from him again vis a vis athletics.

The bad news is that these incompetent buffoons are going to be making the call on hiring both positions, AD first, then Chancellor, so there will be no natural alliance between the two and each hire will start out at a credibility deficit given that they have been chosen by clueless halfwits.

Because of the vituperative (and totally justified) anger of the fanbase, the talent time bomb that is going to crater the football program the second a new coach is hired in December 2016, and the fact that he (or she) will not have been hired by the next leader of the campus, I don't think our next AD has any chance of success whatsoever. We're setting up a committee to search for a fall guy who we can burn to the ground in three years. Then, assuming that our next Chancellor hasn't resigned in disgrace with a six-figure golden parachute yet, we can actually bring on a leader who can roll the dice on coaches to rebuild what will then be a total worst-in-the-nation wasteland in both sports that anyone cares about, wrought entirely by our own hands.

I hate myself for accepting admission to this fraud of a University all those years ago. I am ashamed to call myself a graduate.

Last edited:
I've got good news and I've got bad news.

The good news is that Illinois athletics will, within a year's time, be run entirely by a new Chancellor and a new Athletic Director. Killeen's "leadership" of this situation has been an embarrassment to him and the University, but it has clearly demonstrated that he has zero interest in involving himself in campus-level issues, so at least when we have a new Chancellor, we'll probably never hear from him again vis a vis athletics.

The bad news is that these incompetent buffoons are going to be making the call on hiring both positions, AD first, then Chancellor, so there will be no natural alliance between the two and each hire will start out at a credibility deficit given that they have been chosen by clueless halfwits.

Because of the vituperative (and totally justified) anger of the fanbase, the talent time bomb that is going to crater the football program the second a new coach is hired in December 2016, and the fact that he (or she) will not have been hired by the next leader of the campus, I don't think our next AD has any chance of success whatsoever. We're setting up a committee to search for a fall guy who we can burn to the ground in three years. Then, assuming that our next Chancellor hasn't resigned in disgrace with a six-figure golden parachute yet, we can actually bring on a leader who can roll the dice on coaches to rebuild what will then be a total worst-in-the-nation wasteland in both sports that anyone cares about, wrought entirely by our own hands.

I hate myself for accepting admission to this fraud of a University all those years ago. I am ashamed to call myself a graduate.

I think Prozac is relatively inexpensive now. Check with your doctor.

halfwits? You give them too much credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.