The Illinois AD Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,527      
Well played by the DIA. They knew we would be disappointed with no George or Tiley. "Leak" that Michael could be a favorite. Hire Whitman as A.D. and everyone is content because at least it isnt Michael.

#2,528      

KJKobs

Chicago, IL
Well played by the DIA. They knew we would be disappointed with no George or Tiley. "Leak" that Michael could be a favorite. Hire Whitman as A.D. and everyone is content because at least it isnt Michael.

Well played, indeed :thumb:

#2,529      

illynifan34

That's a winner!!
OH

If this scenario is true it shows a level of understanding and competence that I didn't expect.

#2,531      

IlliniOX08

Bucktown, Chicago
This is going to turn out to be some sort of conditioning exercise. The mob wants George or Tiley, which it doesn't appear the mob is going to get. The mob doesn't have a second choice but really, really doesn't want Michael. Enough info is leaked that it's going to be Michael so the mob turns its gaze to Whitman. Whitman is hired, the mob breathes a sigh of relief that it isn't Michael and the administration confuses the sigh of relief with outright support. Cycle of self induced athletic destruction continues.

Called it back on page 94.

#2,534      
Whitman has great credentials plus he's young and will hopefully stay for many years. I like him. What more could you want?

#2,535      
This is going to turn out to be some sort of conditioning exercise. The mob wants George or Tiley, which it doesn't appear the mob is going to get. The mob doesn't have a second choice but really, really doesn't want Michael. Enough info is leaked that it's going to be Michael so the mob turns its gaze to Whitman. Whitman is hired, the mob breathes a sigh of relief that it isn't Michael and the administration confuses the sigh of relief with outright support. Cycle of self induced athletic destruction continues.

Maybe so, except the last part. Assuming it is Whitman, the intriguing thing about him is that there is a whole range of potential outcomes there. He's a complete wildcard. All we really know about him at this point is that he seems brilliant enough and charismatic enough to succeed in pretty much any job he wants. Apparently the job he wants was to be the Athletic Director at the U of I. What happens next -- anyone's guess.

#2,536      

Deleted member 569417

D
Whitman has great credentials plus he's young and will hopefully stay for many years. I like him. What more could you want?

Someone with proven success at something above Division 3?

#2,537      

IlliniOX08

Bucktown, Chicago
Reading that, you basically called that Whitman will be a disaster. Why do you think that?

Not sure if he will be a disaster, certainly not on the level of Tom Michael. IMO, I don't think Whitman is ready yet. Right now I don't think the program needs to be taking a huge risk on a boom or bust type candidate primarily b/c he's "an Illini guy".

If the search committee isn't going to run an actual national search (they brought in candidates for window dressing only it seems) then Illinois needs either a home run hire - George or Tiley or someone to steady the ship and clean up the nonsense which I believe is a Sean Frazier type hire.

If Whitman is brought in and fails, the pit of despair we are in now will seem like the good old days. Now he could very well come in and be the boom type candidate some see him as and I'll eat crow. I just don't know if the program can take that kind of risk.

I'll have my doubts but have hope for whoever gets hired to succeed. There are certainly candidates that I will be taking a wait and see approach with before contributing anything further than fan support though.

#2,538      
I had heard that it would be Whitman when I posted on page 53 that "news should be dropping shortly." Since then, this thing has clearly gone off the rails. That being said, I'd be happy with Whitman if they have indeed now circled back to him. I see a person with tremendous potential.

When people ask about the difference between Whitman and Michael, its very simple to me. Michael is extremely unimpressive. Look at the video posted a few pages back. Whitman, on the other hand, has been ultra competent in every task he's undertaken. He's an incredibly smart guy. The two are miles apart for me.

#2,539      
Seems like it. I suspect Michael was mentioned as one of the two possibilities in the article because they couldn't just mention Whitman by himself, that would give the whole thing away.

Unless it's the opposite ... cold chill

And as comparison to Michael, people will forget Whitman has very little experience for this position.

#2,540      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
No one is going to have more credibility arguing for how to handle the academics of the football team than the Bronze Tablet undergrad, Summa Cum Laude law school grad who is also a Paul Bunyanesque former NFL player with a voice like Don Draper. He's a cold-blooded killer.

You mean.....Dick Whitman?

#2,541      

Smacko

Lexington, KY
I'm glad the DIA is taking its moves from Frank Reynolds. Using the classic "drop the bomb, then soften the blow" technique.

#2,544      

EJ33

San Francisco
Whitman has a chance to be great. His floor is probably "good." He seems too much of a natural to completely bomb at the job.

I think it makes a ton of sense to bet early on someone you think can be great especially when we're no longer at a point where we can attract an established heavy hitter. By the time Whitman has AD experience we might not be able to get him - just like Rick George and Jim Phillips.

Sean Frazier seems like the best non-Illini name, but what has he actually accomplished? Has he made a great coaching hire? Raised tons of money?

#2,546      
Not sure if he will be a disaster, certainly not on the level of Tom Michael. IMO, I don't think Whitman is ready yet. Right now I don't think the program needs to be taking a huge risk on a boom or bust type candidate primarily b/c he's "an Illini guy".

If the search committee isn't going to run an actual national search (they brought in candidates for window dressing only it seems) then Illinois needs either a home run hire - George or Tiley or someone to steady the ship and clean up the nonsense which I believe is a Sean Frazier type hire.

If Whitman is brought in and fails, the pit of despair we are in now will seem like the good old days. Now he could very well come in and be the boom type candidate some see him as and I'll eat crow. I just don't know if the program can take that kind of risk.

I'll have my doubts but have hope for whoever gets hired to succeed. There are certainly candidates that I will be taking a wait and see approach with before contributing anything further than fan support though.

Good thinking. Good answers.

But, I changed my outlook of just who this University could attract when we chose the third and fourth options in the last two big hires of coaching. It wasn't because we didn't want more, it was a case of where we stood in the views from the outside. This case could strengthen that view.

#2,547      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
I think it makes a ton of sense to bet early on someone you think can be great especially when we're no longer at a point where we can attract an established heavy hitter.

We'll be well-versed in this by the time our upcoming football and basketball coaching searches conclude.

#2,548      

Deleted member 569417

D
especially when we're no longer at a point where we can attract an established heavy hitter.

Not sure how you can state that, when we artificially limited ourselves to "Ex Illini." Well, yeah, we threw a couple outside names on the list that felt clearly like names from the search firm to make it look like they earned their money.

Did we actually try to attract or pursue an established heavy hitter?

#2,550      

EJ33

San Francisco
Not sure how you can state that, when we artificially limited ourselves to "Ex Illini." Well, yeah, we threw a couple outside names on the list that felt clearly like names from the search firm to make it look like they earned their money.

Did we actually try to attract or pursue an established heavy hitter?

I'm projecting this based on our recent coaching searches and the overall state of the DIA. If we can't attract a Power 5 football or basketball coach (like we used to regularly do) why would we be able to attract a national heavy hitter AD to this situation? It's just an educated guess though.

Status
Not open for further replies.